|1. ||William WADSWORTH was christened 26 Feb 1594/5, Long Buckley in Northamptonshire, England; died Between 16 May 1675 and 9 Jul 1675. |
- Fact: Son of William and Elizabeth Wadsworth of Long Buckley in Northamptonshire, England
He died probably between May 16, 1675, the date of will, in which he speaks of himself as "weak in body," and july 9, 1675, when the General Court met, and he disappears as Deputy.
He removed from Long Buckley to Braintree, co. Essex, England. He came to New England with Christopher, probably his brother, in the ship "Lion" (apparently bringing his four children, Sarah, William, Mary and John), and landed at Boston, Sept. 16, 1632. (Winthrop's history, I, p. 90.) He settled at Cambridge; admitted a Freeman, Nov. 6, 1632; was elected to the first Board of Selectmen of Cambridge, and served in 1634/5. In 1636, he joined the Hooker party, removed to Hartford "and there lived in the highest esteem." Out of 62 sessions of the General Court, held between Oct., 1656 and May, 1675, inclusive, he was present at all but 2,--those of May 21, 1657 and Oct. 3, 1661. he was one of the more substantial and wealthy of the emigrants. He was Collector of Rates for Hartford in 1638; Selectman before 1640 and for the years 1643,48, 55, 61 and 73. In 1651, he was Constable for the "north side" of Hartford; was an original proprietor of Hartford and his house lot was co-extensive with the present square, bounded by Asylum, Trumbull and West Pearl Streets and the road to the River.
William married Sarah TALCOTT Abt 1625, Braintree, Essex, England. Sarah was born , England; died Bef Jul 1644. [Group Sheet]
- Sarah WADSWORTH was born Abt 1626; died 1648 or 1649.
- William WADSWORTH was born Abt 1628, England; died , young.
- John WADSWORTH was born Abt 1630, England; died 1689.
- Mary WADSWORTH was born Abt 1632; died 8 Feb 1711-12.
William married Elizabeth STONE 2 Jul 1644. [Group Sheet]
- Elizabeth WADSWORTH was born 17 May 1645.
- Samuel WADSWORTH was christened 20 Oct 1646.
- Joseph WADSWORTH was born Abt 1647.
- Sarah WADSWORTH was christened 17 Mar 1650.
- Thomas WADSWORTH was born Abt 1651.
- Rebecca WADSWORTH was born Abt 1656.