1665 - 1711 (46 years)
|2. ||Thomas FLEGG was christened 1615; died 6 Feb 1697/8. |
- Fact: Son of Bartholomew and Alica Flegg of Whinberg, Norfolk, England
Thomas Flegg died Feb 6, 1697/8; will proved Feb. 16 of same, does not mention all of his children.
He came to New England when only 21 years old with Richard Carver, in whose employ he was. They embarked at Scratby, Norfolk, 1637. Although of an ancient and respectable family of Norfolk, he was registered as servant of Carver's. that word being used at the time to denote servitude of any kind. Thus Sir Ferdinando Gorges speaks of Gov. Vines as "my servant"; Pepys, the diarist is registered as the servant of kinsman, Lord Sandwich, and the records of the time abound in such instances. It is altogether probable that the young man had entered into an arrangement very common at the time, to work for Carver for a certain period in payment for his passage. (Stiles' Ancient Windsor, I, p. 40.) That there was nothing debasing about his servitude is proved by the part he subsequently took in the affairs of the new settlement, for at this time in New England, social distinctions were most rigidly observed. Although not among the first proprietors of Watertown, his name appears on the records as early as 1641, as owner of a "homestall" of six acres and a lot of twenty acres. Between 1671 and 1687, he was Selectman eight terms, 1671-74-75-76-78-81-85 and 87. He lost his eye by a gunshot accident previous to 1659. He was released from training April 165(?) by paying the company 5 shillings per annum and was fully released therefrom by the court April 5, 1681, when his eldest son was 40 years old.
Thomas — Mary ?. Mary was born Abt 1619; died 1703. [Group Sheet]
|3. ||Mary ? was born Abt 1619; died 1703. |
- Lieut. Gershom FLEGG was born 16 Apr 1641; died 6 Jul 1690.
- John FLEGG was born 14 Jun 1643; died 6 Feb 1696/7.
- Bartholomew FLEGG was born 23 Feb 1644/5; died 18 Dec 1675, Killed in the Great Swamp Fight, King Philip's War.
- Thomas FLEGG was born 28 Apr 1646.
- William FLEGG was born Abt 1648; died 22 Aug 1675, Killed by Indians at Lancaster, Mass. (King Philip's War) .
- Michael FLEGG was born 23 Mar 1650/1; died 16 Oct 1711.
- Eleazer FLEGG was born 14 May 1653; died 21 May 1722.
- Elizabeth FLAGG was born 22 Mar 1654/5, Watertown, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts; died 09 Aug 1729, Watertown, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts.
- Mary FLAGG was born 14 Jun 1657, Watertown, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts; died 07 Sep 1720, Watertown, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts.
- Rebecca FLEGG was born 5 Sep 1660; died 20 Jun 1721.
- Benjamin FLEGG was born 25 Jun 1662; died 3 May 1741.
- 1. Allen FLEGG was born 16 May 1665; died Oct 1711.