1701 - 1776 (74 years)
|1. ||Damaris LOCKWOOD was born 07 Nov 1701, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA (daughter of Eliphalet LOCKWOOD and Mary GOLD); died 24 Mar 1776. |
Damaris married John BETTS, Jr. 17 Apr 1722, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA. John (son of John BETTS and Hannah BELL) was born 17 Nov 1692, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA; died 27 Jun 1767, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA. [Group Sheet]
|2. ||Eliphalet LOCKWOOD was born Between 27 Feb 1675 and 1676, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA (son of Ephraim LOCKWOOD and Mercy ST. JOHN); died 1753, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA. |
Eliphalet married Mary GOLD 11 Oct 1699, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA. Mary (daughter of John GOLD and Hannah SLAWSON) was born Abt 1678, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA; died Aft 1753. [Group Sheet]
|3. ||Mary GOLD was born Abt 1678, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA (daughter of John GOLD and Hannah SLAWSON); died Aft 1753. |
- Also Known As: Mary Goold
- Birth: 1673, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA
- Death: 06 Mar 1761, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA
- 1. Damaris LOCKWOOD was born 07 Nov 1701, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA; died 24 Mar 1776.
- Mary LOCKWOOD was born 30 Mar 1717, New Canaan, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA; died 28 Dec 1783, New Canaan, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
|4. ||Ephraim LOCKWOOD was born 01 Dec 1641, Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts (son of Robert LOCKWOOD and Susannah NORMAN); died 1685, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA. |
Ephraim married Mercy ST. JOHN 08 Jun 1665, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA. Mercy (daughter of Matthias ST. JOHN and Mary TINKER) was born Abt 1643; died Bef 1694. [Group Sheet]
|5. ||Mercy ST. JOHN was born Abt 1643 (daughter of Matthias ST. JOHN and Mary TINKER); died Bef 1694. |
- John LOCKWOOD was born 19 Mar 1665/6, Norwalk, Fairfield Co., Connecticut; died Bef 1690.
- Daniel LOCKWOOD was born 13 Aug 1668, Norwalk, Fairfield Co., Connecticut; died 1712, Norwalk, Fairfield Co., Connecticut.
- Sarah LOCKWOOD was born 03 Nov 1670, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
- Ephraim LOCKWOOD was born 01 May 1673, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
- 2. Eliphalet LOCKWOOD was born Between 27 Feb 1675 and 1676, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA; died 1753, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
- Joseph LOCKWOOD was born 01 Apr 1680, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA; died 23 Nov 1760, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
- James LOCKWOOD was born 21 Apr 1683, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
- Edmund LOCKWOOD
- Mary LOCKWOOD
- Abigail LOCKWOOD
|6. ||John GOLD was born Abt 1645, New Haven, Connecticut; died 14 Jul 1712, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA. |
- Also Known As: John Goold
- Name: John Gold Gould
- Occupation: Shoemaker
John married Hannah SLAWSON Abt 1660, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA. Hannah (daughter of George SLAWSON and Mrs. George SLAWSON) was born abt. 1645/46, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA; died Between 27 Jan 1729 and 1730, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA. [Group Sheet]
|7. ||Hannah SLAWSON was born abt. 1645/46, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA (daughter of George SLAWSON and Mrs. George SLAWSON); died Between 27 Jan 1729 and 1730, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA. |
- Also Known As: Hannah Slauson
She is referred to as 'ye aintiant Widow Holt".[Slosson 11-20-00 Greene.FTW]
BIRTH: Married, probably at Stamford, to JOHN GOLD or GOULD. After his death
she married 20 SEP 1714, at Stamford, (Deacon) SAMUEL HORR, becoming his third
wife., She is probably the one referred to as "ye aintient (sic) Widow Hoit".
Shge died 27 Jan 1729/30 at Stamford.
- 3. Mary GOLD was born Abt 1678, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA; died Aft 1753.
- Hannah GOLD was born Abt 1672, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA; died 12 Dec 1715, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
- Sarah GOLD was born Abt 1671, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA; died Between 1730 and 1750.
- Jonathan GOLD was born Abt 1674, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA; died Bef 09 Oct 1730, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
- John GOLD, Jr. was born Abt 1676, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA; died 27 Mar 1720, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
- Anna GOLD was born Abt 1670, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA; died Between 26 Jan 1719 and 1720, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
|8. ||Robert LOCKWOOD was born 1600, England (son of Edmund LOCKWOOD and Alice COWPER); died Bef 11 Sep 1658, Fairfield, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA. |
"History and Genealogy of the Families of Old Fairfield": Lockwood, Robert - Sergt., Fairfield Trainband, May 1657.
Came to Amaerica about 1630, brother of Edmund; settled in Watertown, Mass.; freeman of Mass. Bay, Mar 1636-1637. removed to Fairfield about 1646; freeman ofConn., May 1652.
Married Susanah, prob. dau. of Richard Norman of Salem, Mass. She m. (2) Jeffrey Ferris.
Inv. 11 Sep. 1658. Widow Susana to administer; nine childen: eldest son Jonathan, Joseph, Daniel, Ephraim, Gershom, John, Abigail, Sarah, Mary; Deborah, being married, hath rec'd portion.
Jeffrey Ferris agreed to pay portions to the children, and mention was made of what he shall pay William Ward and Joseph and Daniel Lockwod on account of the children.
Robert — Susannah NORMAN. Susannah was born Abt 1615; died 23 Dec 1660, Greenwich, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA. [Group Sheet]
|9. ||Susannah NORMAN was born Abt 1615; died 23 Dec 1660, Greenwich, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA. |
- Fact: Daughter of Richard Norman of Salem, Massachusetts
Could be the daughtr of Richard Norman of Salem, Mass.
- Jonathan LOCKWOOD was born 10 Sep 1634, Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts; died 12 May 1688, Greenwich, Fairfield County, Connecticut.
- Deborah LOCKWOOD was born 12 Oct 1636, Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.
- Joseph LOCKWOOD was born 06 Aug 1638, Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts; died 14 Apr 1717, Fairfield, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
- Daniel LOCKWOOD was born 21 Mar 1639/40, Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts; died 1691, Fairfield, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
- 4. Ephraim LOCKWOOD was born 01 Dec 1641, Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts; died 1685, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
- Gershom LOCKWOOD was born 06 Sep 1643, Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts; died 12 Mar 1718, Greenwich, Fairfield County, Connecticut.
- John LOCKWOOD was born 1645; died 1677.
- Abigail LOCKWOOD was born 1650; died 1690, Fairfield, Fairfiled County, Connecticut.
- Sarah LOCKWOOD died 01 Mar 1650.
- Mary LOCKWOOD was born Abt 1651.
- Sarah LOCKWOOD was born 27 Feb 1651/52.
|10. ||Matthias ST. JOHN was born Abt 1605, Berkshire, England; died Between 31 Jan 1669 and 1670. |
- Will Proved: Between Jan 1669 and 1670
- Will: 19 Oct 1669
- Death: Abt Nov 1669, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA
Came to Dorchester, Mass., about 1632; freeman 3 Sept. 1634. Removed to Windsor about 1640, and in 1654 to Norwalk, where he died about Jan. 1669-70.
Excerpt from "The Whitney Family of Connecticut": Matthias St. John, came from Eng; freeman of Dorchester, 1634; removed to Windsor, about 1638; an early settler of Norwalk, soon after 1650; was named there in a lsit of freeman, 19 Oct. 1669; made his will the same day, and died before 31 Jan. 1669-70. when the inventory of his estate was taken. he mentioned his wife without giving her name; gave "unto my dearly beloved brother and sister ???, Twenty shillings apiece as a token of my love." A year later, 3 Jan. 1670-71, the townof Norwal voted that his son, "Matthias ??? is to take up his proportion of six acres to the hundre upon Elie's neck,next to his unkell Hoite." Probably this was Walter Hoyt.
Matthias married Mary TINKER 01 Nov 1627, New Windsor, Berkshire Co., England. Mary was born 06 Aug 1606, Berkshire, England. [Group Sheet]
|11. ||Mary TINKER was born 06 Aug 1606, Berkshire, England. |
- Matthias ST. JOHN was born Abt 1632; died Dec 1728, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
- James ST. JOHN was born Abt 1649; died 09 May 1684, Norwalk, Fairfield County,Connecticut.
- Samuel ST. JOHN was born Abt 1641; died 14 Jan 1685, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
- Marke ST. JOHN was born Abt 1634; died 12 Aug 1693, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
- 5. Mercy ST. JOHN was born Abt 1643; died Bef 1694.
|14. ||George SLAWSON was born Bef 1617, Southwark, England (son of Richard SLAWSON and Anne ANGELL); died 17 Feb 1695, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA. |
- Fact: Admitted a Freeman
- Religion: Puritan (congregationalist)
- Occupation: May 1657; Judge of Stamford, Conn.
- Occupation: May 1659; Dep. Judge of Stamford, Conn.
- Occupation: Oct 1663; Deputy to New Hampshire Leg.
- Will: 19 Dec 1694
From the introduction of "SLASON-SLAUSON-SLAWSON-SLOSSON" by George Slawson:
The original spelling of the name (after being Anglicized), and before it came to this country, was SLAWSON. When George SLAWSON came to America, it was so spelled in Lynn, Mass., and in Sandwich, Mass., and it was not until his arrival in Stamford in 1642 that the first variation occurred. In Stamford, the town clerk entered the name (and quite possible so at its owner's instigation, as he was an educated man) as SLASON. Thereafter, for over a hundred years, the town clerks of Stamford so spelled the name with a fine disregard for whatever method the possessor of the name might prefer. George, himself, signed his name on several documents--witnesses to treaties with the Indians, and various legal documents--and his signature is known with both spellings, although the SLAWSON spelling is predominant. In the course of time, the spelling of the town clerks of Stamford was quite widely accepted, but as it gave too easy rise to improper pronunciation, the majority of the family inserted either a U or a W in the middle to force correct pronunciation. Today, SLASON is the least common of the 4 methods of spelling of the name. The SLAUSON spelling came also from another source besides the one outlined above. It is a peculiarity of handwriting that the letters "WS" are difficult to form, and that of "US" are not. Purely as a convenience and aid to easier manipulation, many members of the family changed from SLAWSON to SLAUSON, and on several occasions both methods are in use by children of one family. The SLOSSON method of spelling received a comparatively late start in America, being unknown prior to 1739. During this year a group of families moved from Norwalk, Conn., to form a new settlement at Kent, Conn.; among them being the family of Nathaniel SLASON. On their arrival at Kent, one of their number was elected town clerk, and his first entry showed the families of Nathaniel SLOSSON, all of whose descendants still use this particular spelling. By about 1800, the various methods of spelling the name had become pretty well fixed in the various channels, and, except for occasional changes from SLAWSON to SLAUSON, few individuals varied the routine in vogue for their particular branches of the family.
Richard SLAWSON's name on the records in England was spelled SLAWSON, but there is nothing that he wrote it so-or even know how to write. There is however, ample evidence to prove that this spelling continued to exist in England, and later migrations to America have been made by individuals using this spelling. However, from the spellings used on tombstones, it would seem that the SLAWSON spelling was an Anglicized version of SLOSSON, which according to the author, was known as early as the twelfth century. There seems to be little doubt that this spelling was in use considerably earlier than 1600, and no evidence to prove it had not been completely abandoned in favor of SLAWSON by that date. In 1739 this spelling was again put into use, this time in America-- and it is in active use here today, but is apparently unknown in England.
Apparently neither George nor Thomas were too well equipped with funds, and being unable to afford passage, they shipped on as sailors. Upon reaching America they went ashore and stayed out of sight until the ship sailed without them. This was not an unusual occurrence, as the ships' records show they frequently left America with only a portion of their crews. It would also explain why the names were not on the passenger list.
George Slawson emigrated to America, probably on the ship JONAS which landed in 1636. The JONAS, John Crowther - master, was chartered for a voyage to Charleston (MA) and Boston Towne, but is is not known when she arrived or whether she brought passengers. George moved out of Lynn, MA in 1637 with a group of other persons to Sandwich, MA on Cape Cod. The name of his first wife (mother of all his children), whom he married at Sandwich, CA 1640, is unknown. They moved to Stamford, CT, in 1642 and settled there. Marriage No. 2 on 16 Dec 1680 at Fairfield, CT to Mary Williams (Jennings), the widow of Joshua Jennings.
There were no children by his second marriage. He died 17 FEB 1694/5 at
Stamford, and she died in March 1697. Prior to his arrival in Stamford, his
name was infallibly spelled SLAWSON, but the Stamford records usually refer to him as SLASON. According to his own writing, he used both spellings, apparently without much discrimination, although SLAWSON is the one he used most frequently.
Authors of local histories pertaining to the New England colonies agree that
George and Thomas (2) Slawson were in Lynn, MA in 1637, and that their names were included in the list of those who went from Lynn, Duxbury and Plymouth to form the new colony at Sandwich. Unfortunately, the early records of Sandwich are very meager, due largely to a fire which destroyed most of them.
See notes under Eleazer.
"George Slawson: An American Pioneer" by Harold Dye Slosson - Salied across the Atlaantic, landing in Lynn, Mass., 1636; then went south, helping found Sandwich; next west, becoming in 1642 a Stanford, Conn., pioneer.
"Connecticut Ancestry": The Slason Genealogy gives his parents names as Richard Slawson and Anne Angell, who were married at St. Saviour's Church in Southwark, Surrey on 13 March 1610. this Church is directly across the Thames River from London, and it is possible that Richard Slawson had come to the greater London area from some other place. Birth records for George Slason and his brother Thomas do not seem to have been found.
Both the Slason Genealogy and the Bedford genealogies report that he "probably" immigrated to the New World on the ship "jonas" in 1636, but without further explanation.
George Slason was in lynn, Essex County, massachusetts by 1637 and soon afterward in Sandwich, Brnstavle County (Cape Cod), by 1638. the name of George Slason (but not Thomas) appeared on an undated list of men who had taken the Oath of fidelity at Sandwich. George Slason (but not Thomas) was awarded 2 acred in a division of meadow land in Sandwich dated 16 April 1640.
The Slason "brothers" apparently removed from Sandwich to Stamford during the first year of settlement of that town. Thomas Slason was granted a houe lot and another 3 acres, and presumably George was also, but no record of such a grant to George seems to have been preserved. There is no further record of this Thomas Slason in Stamford and although it has been claimed that he quickly returned to the Plymouth Colony, it also seems possible that the single record for Thomas in Stamford instead belonged to George all along and that Thomas therefore never exited - at least not as a Stamford resident.
In a difficult chapter from Stamford's early years, George Slason and (Thomas Stevenson) had the unfortunate experience of being accused by the new Haven Court on 1 April 1644 with being responsible for the escape of the Dutchman who had murdered Capt. Daniel Patrick, and who was under arrest and under their guard at Stamford. Apparently because of the mitigating circumstances offered by Slason and Stevenson in their own defense, the case was not pursued and no sentences imposed.
Stamford Historian the Rev. Mr. Huntington called George Slason an "exemplary member of the church, a peace maker, and one whom all delighted to honor." Huntington also related that George Slason was one of two Stamford leaders (along with Francis Bell) chosen to call the Rev. John Bishop to be pastor at Stamford, replacing the Rev. Richard Denton who had abruptly left Stamford without pastoral leadership in about 1644. The source for this account is not clear but it was reported as follows at a celebration of the Church in 1841:
"Rev. John Bishop succeeded Mr. (Richard) Denton (as pastor of the stamford Congregational Church). To show the value which the church placed in that age, upon the regular ministrations of the Gospel, I will state the method of making out the call to Mr. Bishop. Hearing he was in the neighborhood of Boston, two brethren, George Slason and Francis Bell, were deputed to go to Boston, and if he was to be found to make known to him the wishes of the Church. Although the country was full of hostile Indians, they went on foot carrying their provisions, and succeeded at length in finding Mr. Bishop "to the eastward of Boston." He accepted the call and returned with them on foot bringing his Bible under his arm, through the wilderness, to Stamford. (This Bible is still in the possession (in 1841) of Mr. Noah Bishop, one of his descendants.) Mr. Bishop labored here in the inistry nearly 50 years, and died in 1693."
The lands of George Slason were recorded in the Spring of 1650/51, when most of Stamford's land holdings were summarized in the Town Records. Unfortunately, the page has been torn so a complete description of some of his outlying land has been lost. His homelot, however, is described as "One house and home lot with an acre and half adjoining to it, the home lot, and it contains 3 acres, more or less, bounded by Obadiah Seeley to the South, Thomas Morris (to the) NOrth, abutting the highway (on the) West & the Meadow (on the) East."
George Slason served at least twice as Deputy (Representative) from Stamford to the New haven Colony Court at New Haven, in 1657 and 1663. After Stamford and the other New Haven Colony towns became a part of the Connecticut Colony, George Slason and his sons John and Eleazer were three of 21 Stamford men who were approved as freemen by the Connecticut Assembly at their meeting in Hartford of 14 October 1669.
He married (2) at Fairfield on 16 December 1680, Mary (Williams) Jennings widow of Joshua Jennings who had died at Fairfield in 1675. they had made an extensive pre-nuptial contract on 18 November 1680 including recognition that she would "bring two or three of her younger children with her." Mary (Williams) Jennings) Slason returned to Fairfield after the death of George Slason. She made her will there on 27 march 1697, naming her (own) children Matthew, isaac, Samuel, Joshua and Joseph Jennings and Mary Curtis, her grandson John Smith, and "daughter in law hannah Jennings." Her inventory was taken during 1697 and filed on 10 January 1697/98.
Prior to the time of his second marriage, George Slason transferred title to a substantial portion of his property in Stamford to his three children. On 10 September 1680, he confirmed and clearly identified lands that he had "formerly given" to his son in law John Gold to be his forever "as part or portion to or with my daughter Hanna." The gift included his house and 3 1/2 acre homelot on south Street, and another 3 acres of upland in the North Field. Apparently John Gold had previously made a partial payment to his father in law since he (Gold) signed a note attached to this deed of gift that courteously allowed his benefactor to keep the previous partial payment, "The aforsaid John Gold doth (in consideration of ye premises) aquit & discharg his farther-in-aw for named of what sum so ever ye said Gold paid in pte of purchase of he said house & lands, viz: three pounds or there abouts."
Then, about 2 month later on the 3rd day, 10th month (December) 1680, George Slason made substantial gifts of property to both of his sons, John and Eleazer. Both deeds were witnessed by Jonathan Bell and Samuel Weed, and for some reason were not recorded until 16th day 2nd month (April) 1686.
George Slason made his will at Stamford on 19 December 1694, mentioning his wife but not by name, and his sons John and Eleazer and his daughter the wife of John Gold. His signature is smudged on the document, but it is clear that he could write his own name at the time. He added a codicil about 3 weeks later (9 January 1694/5), signed at this time only with his G S mark. Both instruments were witnessed by Abraham Ambler and Samuel Holly.
His inventory was taken by Jonathan Bell and Jonas Weed and filed on 5 November 1695, consisting of over 25 acres of land and rights still remaining in his name, livestock, tools, household furnishings, and 3 old bibles.
George married Mrs. George SLAWSON Abt 1640, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA. Mrs. was born Abt 1619, Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts, USA. [Group Sheet]
|15. ||Mrs. George SLAWSON was born Abt 1619, Sandwich, Barnstable, Massachusetts, USA. |
- John SLAWSON was born 14 May 1641, Sandwich, Barnstable County, Massachusetts; died 16 Oct 1706, Stamford, Fairfield Co., Connecticut.
- Eleazer SLAWSON was born 09 Feb 1643, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA; died May 1698, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
- 7. Hannah SLAWSON was born abt. 1645/46, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA; died Between 27 Jan 1729 and 1730, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.