Notes


Matches 301 to 350 of 10,947

      «Prev «1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 219» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
301 "Genealogy of the Dodge Family": Daniel, b. at Wenham, 26 April, 1677, where he died 30 April, 1740. He married Joanna Burnham, 20 June, 1706. Of his early life it is only known that he graduated at Harvard College in 1700, being the first graduate by the name of Dodge in New England. In January, 1702-3, he was engaged as a teacher at Beverly and again in Sept. 1706. In 1715, he was chosen schoolmaster of Reading for 3 years at 30 pounds per year. In 1703, Dec. 1st, his father, Richard, by deed of gift conveyed to his son Daniel Dodge of Wenham, clerk, "My now dwelling house and the dwelling house standing in the same yard with it, my cyder mill, outhousing, barns, together with my homestead lot in Wenham, being by estimation 50 acres more or less. Also all that 30 acres I bought of Capt. Wm. Dixey of Beverly and all that 12 acres, more or less, of meadow, I bought of brother John Dodge, lying southerly of Long Ham meadow. Also all my piece of meadow in said Long ham, bordering on the aforementioned 30 acres and extending in length from the bridge southwest of my house quite to the cross fence as it now standeth, containing 5 acres more or less. Likewise all "the Island" which I purchased of Mr. Robert Bradford of said Beverly, lying north easterly from Long Ham River and bounded on the NE by Town Common land of Wenham. Also 30 acres called the "Cow Pasture" in Wenham, which I bought of Nath. Waldern and Goodman Hobbs of said town. "Provided only my son Daniel shall allow his brothers Richard and William right of way etc., through the "Cow Pasture" as the path now is and same right to William over a part of the homestead." I give said Daniel my common rights of land in Common land of Wenham and one Common Right, bought of Abraham Masters in Town Commonage of Manchester. Also one-third part of all my marsh, upper and lower, and landng marsh which be in Chebacco in Ipswich, excepting only the marsh bought of Capt. Thomas Rayment, and that part of my marsh near Wid. Fellow's marsh in Hogg Island marshes in Chebacco; viz: that part which Richard has occupied for divers years past, excepting also 4 acres of marsh in Chebacco marshes which I bought of James Burnham in Ipswich. Further, I give Daniel 110 trees on my 100 acres which by deed of even date I have given to my son William Dodge. Likewise I give Daniel my "negro boy" and all cattle, horses, sheep, swine, money, goods and chattels not otherwise disposed of.
Witnesses, Elizabeth and Joanna hale, Acknowledged 18 March, 1703-4 before Robert Hale. J.P.
Between 1706 and 1717, besides deeds of division, the records show him as grantee in four cases and as grantor in ten cases. After 1717 he was grantee in six cases and grantor in two cases. About two years before his death, he gave his son, Daniel of Wenham, husbandman, the house "he now lives in" and the "orchard joining to it," and also another piece of orchard on the westerly side of the river. His will, dated 28 April, 1740, two days before his death, was very long and elaborate, and as it was witnessed by Rev. John Warren, Samuel Kimball and William Dodge (probably his brother), it was probably written by his pastor, Rev. John Warren. He gave his wife Joanna (Burnham), all personal estate, except farming tools and implements of husbandry and his carpenter's tools, which he gave to his son David. He gave his wife the use of David's share till he became of age of 21 years. He prescribed the amount of provisions which should be delivered to her annually by Daniel, and by David after he became of age, so long as she remained his widow, a limitation which probably took effect when she married Samuel Kimball, 30 June, 1741. This marriage may have been one of the reasons of the early marriage of David Dodge and Anna Low, in Dec., 1741. Daniel's will gave her the use of the buildings so far as she could use them, and required Daniel Jr., to pay her blank pounds for her comfortable and honorable support and subsistence. In case she should marry, all the privileges granted were to cease, and in case she resigned her right of dower, Daniel and David were to pay her fifty pounds each.
Joshua was to pay her 40 shillings per annum from the time he became of age.
He gave his son James L150. he gave his son Joshua the house and land in Beverly which had been bought of Benj. Woodberry, Joshua to pay L200 to the executor and 40 shillings per an. to his mother.
He gave his dau. Joanna L5.
He gave Daniel, Jr., the house and lands which the latter had occupied. To David he gave the homestead and divided the remaining lands between them.
To his dau. Mary L100 to be paid by Daniel and David.
the enumeration of the tracts of lands which he gave his sons indicates that he was well to do in respect to real estate, and that he was not much in debt. he was deacon of church. His wife Joanna and son Daniel were his executors." 
DODGE, Daniel (I19226)
 
302 "Genealogy of the Dodge Family": David Low Dodge was for several years a teacher. In 1802 he became a dry goods merchant in Hartford, CT.; removed to New York in 1807, and became an eminent merchant, to be honorably remembered for his aid to the religious and benevolent movements of his day. He was one of the founders of the New York Peace Society in 1815, was its first president, and was a U.S. appraiser of New York in 1832. He was also one of the founders of the New York Bible Society, and of the New York Tract Society. He published "the Mediator's Kingdom Not of this World" in 1809, and "War Inconsistent with the Religion of Jesus Christ," 1812. See "Memorial of David Low Dodge," Boston, 1854, and "Appleton's Encyclopedia of Biography". He died in New York, 28 April, 1852, in his 78th year. DODGE, David Low (I19230)
 
303 "Genealogy of the Dodge Family": David, b. Wenham, 7 March, 1723; m. Anna Low, of Ipswich (John, John,John,thomas, John), pub. Wenham, 5 December, 1741. After marriage lived at Ipswich (Hamlet), where their two sons were born. Anna Low, born 22 December, 1719, "per S.A. Ranlett"; died Amherst, 3 April, 1782. David joined Wen. Church, 31 October 1742. he deeded, 27 November, 1750 to John Low, cooper, of Ipswich, for L400 his house, barn and about 60 acres (Probably in Wenham), bounded n. on Mill River, Ips. Also to Jacob Dodge, of Wenham for L138, 36 ac. woodland and pasture, and to Joshua Dodge, of Beverly, blacksmith, for L133, about 15 acres at Turtle Pond pasture.
His occupation, if he had any, is unknown; but he is said to have been a man of property by his father's will, and entertained largely, but became financially embarrassed and accepted a commission in the old French war. In the expedition to Canada, while attempting to run the Otsego Falls, New York, the bateau he was in upset, and all on board were drowned. (Date of this event unknown or not recorded).
In the probate records of Windham District, in Windham county, Connecticut, we find that letters of administration were granted, 11 November, 1756 and inventory made, 17 January, 1757, of estate of David Dodge of Lebanon. His estate was reported insolvent, 15 December, 1756, and Anna Dodge was appointed guardian of her two minor children, David and Samuel.
His widow went to Pomfret, Conn., where she kept a school 15 years, and boarded in the family of Gen'l Putnam. She afterwards went to Amherst, NH, and lived with her son Samuel, till her death (of a cancer on the tongue), April 3, 1782, ages 63 years. 
DODGE, David (I19229)
 
304 "Genealogy of the Dodge Family": RICHARD DODGE appeared at Salem in 1638, and "desired accommodation." It was learned in 1881 from the Parish register of East Coker Somersetshire, England, that in 1628, Richard, son of Richard, was bapt. date missing. Sept. 7, 1630, Margery, dau. of Richard, was bapt. Feb. 2, 1630-1, Margery, dau. of Richard, was buried. Dec. 29, 1631, John, son of Richard was Baptized. April 19, 1635, Marie, dau. of Richard and Edith was baptized.
As immigrants were admitted to the colony only by applying to the town and obtaining leave, it is quite certain that Richard and his family came in 1638, and as the King was at that time obstructing emigration, it is probable that he left England without royal permission.
After living awhile on land of his brother William, he settled on "Dodge Row" in North Beverly, not far east of Wenham Lake. The house he built stood probably where M. Lucius B. Dodge lately lived very near the present north line of Beverly, or possibly where Mr. H.W. Dodge now lives, a few rods farther east. The farm lately owned by Mr. Lucius B. Dodge was inherited from his father Richard, the son of Deacon Richard b. 1783, who bought it of his father-in-law, Jacob Edwards, b. 1746, by deed dated 23 April 1819. Apparently the same land was bought by John Edwards, of Edward Dodge, cordwainer, Beverly, 15 March, 1781.
It had been held in the male line from the death of Richard. Mr. Lucius B. Dodge says the house now occupied by Mr. H.W. Dodge was formerly used as a cabinet shop by his father Richard, and by him turned partly around and converted into a dwelling. It is unlikely that either house is as old as 200 years.
Richard the immigrant, evidently gave his attention more to farming and the care of his domestic affairs, than to town or church business; although he was a loyal church member, and one of the most liberal contributors to the support of the church. He and his wife Edith were members of the Wenham church before 1648 according to its records, John Fiske being pastor.
He also had a high appreciation of the value of education, for in 1653, in a list of twenty-one subscribers to Harvard College, his name ranks first, while the next largest sum was only one-fourth as much as his. He dedicated a piece of his land to a burying ground, which is now known as the Cemetery on Dodge Row. It was probably inherited by his son Edward, who died in 1727, for in February, 1730-1, the three sons of Edward, by a deed, confirmed the grant to their relatives and neighbors. The near neighbors of Richard were Zachary Herrick who married his daughter Mary, Peter Woodberry who married Sarah, John and Humphrey Woodberry and John Galle. he died 15th June, 1671, leaving an estate valued at the large sum of L1764 2s. he gave his sons John, Richard and Samuel each a good farm, valued in his inventory at over L100 each. To sons Edward and Joseph he gave the home farm, valued at L1000. To his wife Edith he gave certain appropriate personal property, "to be her own absolutely", and gave her "the sole and proper use of the parlor & chamber over it in my now dwelling house", and made liberal provision for annual payments to be made to her by her five sons. She outlived him seven years, dying 27th June, 1678, at the age of 75. From this it is probable that Richard may have been born about 1602, and was about two years older than William. Edith, before her death, also made a will, and the inventory discloses a very comfortable state of worldly affairs. No grave stones, however, disclose their resting place. 
DODGE, Richard (I19264)
 
305 "Genealogy of the Hoyt Families": Benjamin was about 11 yrs. old when Deerfield was attacked. Tradition says that, hearing the screams in the night, his fright led him to jump from a window and hide in a corn-bin, where he lay till morning. Then, finding all gone but the slain, he wished he had been taken, with the others. Some accounts say that he removed with his mother, after her return, to Wallingford, CT. Others state that he went to Norwalk, Ct., and remained there for some time with his father's relatives. Perhaps he may have been in both places. Afterwards, he with 20 or 30 others commenced a settlement at Ridgefield, 12 miles north of norwalk, where he afterwards resided. His descendants say that he gave his coat and hat towards his part of the pay in purchasing the land of the Indians. HOYT, Benjamin (I30180)
 
306 "George Denison of Rocksbury in New England gentleman and Bridge Denison his wife daughter of John thompson late of Preston in the County of Northampton and of M(ist)ris Alice Thompso now dwelling at Rocksbury" gave a power of attorney on 22 march 1640/1 to recover her share of her father's estate. DENISON, George (I18500)
 
307 "George Slawson - An American Pioneer": by Harold D. Slosson - Charley, the small-town entrepreneur, went to California during the land boom of the 1880s. There, aided by his wife Anna, he started a number of enterprises.
September 25, 1860 in Northwood, Iowa, Charles Eugene Slosson was born as the first child of John and Roxy Jane Slosson...
Charley, as he was commonly called, commenced live on the Slosson's first, small farm, close in to the small town of Northwood where he started school.....
In 1869, his parents took him as a nine-year-old boy to their new section-size farm southeast of the town....
Sorghum was one of the crops raised on the Slosson farm. It is a tall-growing plant resembling perhaps corn or sugar cane. Further, like sugar cane its stalks are sweet, being chewed on for their pleasant taste. Again, it may be fed to stock or pressed to obtain sorghum syrup, popular on the breakfast table. At that time, men in the field cut the stalks using large knives,probably like a machete.
When cutting the stalks in this way, Charley received a bad gash on his leg. The wound bled profusely, with Mary being greatly alarmed. The father, from a long frontier life, was evidently a good first aider; the flow of blood was staunched, and the cut healed without ill aftereffects. The point of this story (as told by Mary), ws that raming life could be rough, hazardous at times, as well.
Butter, another farm product, was early made by the housewife in a hand-operated churn. John Slosson, the father, saw the advantage of a central milk collecting place, or creamery, as the efficient was to make butter. So with the help of Charley he built the first creamery in Worth County, and one of the first in the state.
The creamery business did all right. Additionally, Charley had abstracted land titles, and had served as deputy county treasurer and auditor. But by the middle 1880s Charley found something else churning in his mind. A great land boom was starting in southern California; he wanted to go there and be a part of it.....
He arrived sometime before December 1887.
Not long after Charley's arrival he was serving as a deputy in the city clerk's office. In 1889 he was appointed city clerk, his promotion - according to Wiley's 'History of Monrovia' - being earned by "faiathful service and attention to business." In this capacity he remained until his resignation in 1897.
....Probably the resignation followed the press of personal business. Soon we fin there is the Slosson Livery Stable.
C.E. SLOSSON, Proprietor
Monrovia Livery, Feed and Sale Stables
Horses and Crriages Bought, Sold and
Exchanged
Open Day and Night
Contractors for Household Moving, All Kinds of Team Work

For a time Charley had a prominent local man by the name of Cornes as his partner.....
Meanwhile, Chrley had become the first notary public in the town, and had gone into the real estate business. His office was on Monrovia's main street, Myrtle Avenue, being on the east side between Olive and Orange. There Charley sold all classes of property, possibly his most import being the subdividing of the sizable Oak Park Tract on the east side of town. Two other subdivisions of Charley's were the Valle Vista and the Orange Avenue tracts......
In Iowa, Charley had helped free the farm wife from the churning detail; now in California he helped release the housewife from washboard drudgery. With others he started the Monrovia Steam Laundry, possibly a successor to Chinese hand laundry, or to another laundry which had been there before. A commercial laundry was then needed, too, since this was before the days of the automatic washer and dryer; nor was there then electric power to run such units...
Somewhat similar to this foregoing enterprise was the San Gabriel River Rock and Gravel Company, which Charley helped organize, serving as its president for some time....
The townsmen organized the "Monrovia Rifles," sometimes called the "Monrovia Guards." Charley is listed as a volunteer on their roster.....
Charley had helped organize Monrovia's first Board of Trade and had served as its secretary. But his greatest public service, perhaps, was in connection with water....
In 1899 a committee of city trustees and prominent men, including Charley Slosson, was formed to study the water problem. Their recommendation for the purchase of Chapman water-bearing land was favorably acted on, with the water line being laid into town along what is now Foodhill Boulevard. This saved the day, with other water sources being located later. In 1903 Charley again served on a later committee which recomended further improvements at the Chapman wells....
On October 2, 1889, Charley married Anna V. McCullough, who had been born July 3, 1860, in Kingston, Pennsylvania. Anna at that time was a popular young school-teacher.
Initially the young couple lived in a frame house on North Encinitas Avenue. Subsequently, for some years this property was in various family hands. At about the turn of the century, Charley and Anna moved to a larger house on East Lime Avenue, just a block from the main street. Many social events were held there, including the entertaining of important dignitaries, such as congressmen. For a time Chrley served as a menber of the Republican Central Committee of Los Angeles County, having been on the executive committee for two years.
Charley and Anna had one child, Arlne, born in Monrovia on Jul 16, 1895....
Anna Slosson was honored as being a charter menber of the First Presbyterian Church, and singing for many years in its choir. She was also a charter member of the Monrovia Women's Club, serving as its secretary. Another cause she aided was the starting of the Monrovia Public Library.
On Janue 12, 1916, Charley passed away in Monrovia, the town he had helped for so many years. There, also, Anne had passed away on November 3, 1937. they are buried in southwest Los Angeles where Anna's folks had a family plot, in an old, but beautiful cemetery called Rosedale. 
SLOSSON, Charles Eugene (I52578)
 
308 "George Slawson - An American Pioneer": Jehiel, the restless Minuteman, after the Revolutionary War, with his wife, Rebecca, left the Berkshire Hills of western Massachusetts, and crossed the Hudson River into New York State. There in the hills of Greenville, near the Catskills, they farmed and raised their family.
Their new home, Coxsackie, the Slossons found had some patriotic fame, for here the Dutch farmers had made a freedom declaration even before the signing of the American Declaration of Independence.
While living in Coxsackie for some half-dozen years, the couple had two children, Jehiel, Jr., and a daughter, Becky. They are listed in first U.S. Decennial Census, 1790, page 23. But life in that river town did not satisfy Jehiel's restless spirit. It was commercial, and now he remembered the quiet, wooded Berkshire Hills. Again the Slossons wre on the move - westward and northward to the small town of Greenville in New York hills.
Again, the Slossons were early settlers. They had arrived about 1791, and it was not until about 1803 when the setlement once called Freehold was given its present name of Greenville.
Jehiel was a farmer, and probably a craftsman as well. Remote Greenille had varied home industries, it is recorded. Further, two small pieces of handmade Colonial furniture still in the family are believed to have been made by Jehiel in his Greenville home.
Tragedy came, however, when Jehiel at the age of forty-nine passed on. Rebecca met that challenge by leading her seven children in a wagon train westward, down the mountains, through the Susquehanna River Valley to a new life in south-central New York State....
Jehiel was the second child of Daniel and Keziah Slosson. Jehiel's name - probably best pronounces as a "he" in the center - was derived from the Old Testament. Jehiel appears in Chronicles as the son of Good King Jehoshaphat.
Finally, on January 22, 1807, the ather, Jehiel, when he was only forty-nine years old, answered the final call. His restless spirit had made that final trip. And two weeks later, his fifteen-year-old girl, Sally, also passed away. The cause of their demise is not known. Jehiel might have had a war disability, or again, a wintertime epidemic may have swept through that area, where the closed doctor may have been miles away.
Rebecca was now a widow with seven dependent children. Doubtless Jehiel left her with a reasonably good farm and their homestead. ...
News of her plight slowly went to relatives in various places. Meanwhile, she pondered what would be best for her children. Finally word was received from Jehiel's uncle, Enoch Slosson, suggesting that her family come to live near him in the south-central part of New York State. Summarized from century-old notes written by William patterson, who had married into the family, here is why Enoch turned out to be the benefactor of Rebecca's family.
Years before, bread had been cast on the waters in the Slosson family. Third-generation Nathaniel had been given a land gift by his father-in-law. Nathaniel, in turn, had given some land to his son, fourth-generation Enoch. And now Enoch was volunteering to help the family of his nephew, fifth-generation Jehiel.
However, it was an unusual cause-and-effect story whereby Enoch happened to be living in New York state in a position to offer Rebecca assistance. years before he had followed his brother Daniel into the Berkshire Hills. There, in Stockbridge, as a respected citizen, he had been elected constable, the position his father had similarly held in Kent.
In connection with his official duties, Enoch accused a captain of partiality in giving evidence under oath. The church took the captain's side; Enoch stood by his convictions, and so had been admonished by the church.
Perhaps because of this treatment, in 1793 Enoch moved with some of his family into the wilderness area at Brown's Settlement on the Boston Settlement on the Boston purchase in Newark Valley in Tioga County south-central new York State. There he pioneered and apparently prospered with the growth of the area. Subsequently, the Stockbridge captain, on his deathbed, confessed the wrong he had done to Slosson, who was then pardoned by the church. Thus Enoch was well able to help Rebecca. Completing his life story, although distressed by his church troubles, he lived to the age of ninety-four.
After receiving the Enoch Slosson offer to join his family, Rebecca reflected that it might be easier simpl to remain in Greenville. but that hll area was rather isolated with limited opportunies for her children. Again, she could backtrack to the Berkshire Hills or to Connecticut where many friends and relatives were living.
But Enoch's location was in a new land with plenty of space for her family to grow and develop. Further, and this was important, it was in the direction her restless Jehiel had been headed.
And so Rebecca decided - she would continue that long journey to the west.....
Rebecca Slosson had a full, adventurous life. Finally, at Union (now Newark Valley) on May 29, 1827, at the age of sixty-eight, she passed on to be with the Lord. The burial place is given as near Naticoke Springs, Broome County, New York 
SLOSSON, Jehiel (I52809)
 
309 "George Slawson : An American Pioneer" by Harold D. Slosson - Mary, the spiritual leader, was also for a time a freelance writer. In 1902, sometime after the passing of her husband, she moved with her daughter, Jean, from Iowa to California.
When middle-aged Mary studied Spanish, becoming conversational in that language......
In 1887 came Mary's turn to travel on that same train she had frequently seen. Accompanied by her older brother, Charley, she had gone for a visit to her Bigelow relatives in Duarte, California.
After that California trip, mary returned to her professional work in the Northwood area. She was helped by her varied talents, with a clipping in the family records saying in part, "She has proved herself adept with the pen and at raising pure-bred poultry. She is a prize contributor to the American Agriculturist, the Home, Practical housekeeper, Ladies' world and other home journals. Her articles are mostly children's stories, domestic talks, and poultry notes."
In 1890 a romantic event came into her life. It was described by one of her writer friends that "she was caught in Cupid's net." For in that year Mary was married to George W. Stelson, who had been born on September 6, 1858, in Fulton County, New York. This county, above the Mohawk River, is farther north than the Slossons' early family location in new York State. In Iowa, George Stelson lived in Kensett township, where he may have been associated with John Slosson in some project on the farm.
Mary was tall, erect woman with a good bearing. It was said that, tall though she was, George was even taller. The marriage of this couple - Mary and George - came on a special day, July 4, 1890.
On November 5, 1896, a daughter was born to this couple named Alma Jean, who was generally called Jean in later years. With her parents, she was living at that time on the Northwood farm....
On September 20, 1897, to this family came a sorrow. For then the father, George Stelson, passed away. He was praised highly in the Northweed newspapers, with the obituary column still being in the famiy records. The Burial was in the Slosson family plot at the State Line Cemetery, between Northwood and Albert Lea, Minnesota.
Through the years, Mary kept an active interest in her church. Even when moving from place to place, she immediately identified herself with some church....Willing to become involved, soon she was teaching a Sunday School class or doing some other worthwhile work. In Monrovia, Mary taught a boys' class for many years.....
After Jean had completed her freshman year at Pomona, mother and daughter moved to Berkeley. There Jean, always a good student, completed three more years of schooling, graduating from the University of California in 1918.
The next move was back to southern California, where in Los Angeles, mary first rented a house in te Exposition Park district. This was when Jean enrolled in the Los Angeles Public Library school. After completion of the course, she became a member of the library staff. mary next purchased a place in the West Adams district, where the family lived for many years...
Throughout her later years, mary had been troubled with some form of digetive disturbance. Because of it, at least twice she had been critically ill, only to survive, semingly, because of Divine intervention. But she lived prudently, being temperate in her eating, which to some extent was largely a natural food diet....It had paid off, since she lived past the biblical "three score and ten years,". She was still in fair health when she passed away at the age of seventy-two.
When small, Mary saw the circuit preacher riding across the prairie to his flock in Northwood. Now elderly, strong in the Gospel faith, on May 23, 1934, Mary went home to be with the Lord. Mourned by her many friends and relatives, she was buried in the family plot in Live Oak Cemetery, Monrovia. 
SLOSSON, Mary (I52919)
 
310 "George Slawson, An American Pioneer" by Harold D. Slosson. Source (S03691)
 
311 "George Slawson: An American Pioneer" - by Harold D. Slosson
Frank was the adventurer, who, with his wife Nellie Dye, raised a family of six children. In spite of doing this, in his lifetime he was able to take part in many exciting things. Examples are holding down a Dakota timber claim, joining in the Oklahoma land rush, staking mining claims in Colorado's Cripple Creek gold camp, and developing sagebrush land near the Mojave Desert.....
After completion of elementary school, for a time Frank went to Osage Academy, located in Iowa's Mitchell County. Finally he attended Iowa State University at Ames, which had courses in agriculture, engineering, mechanical arts, etc. While there, he was a membe of the National Guard. Still preserved is a badge he received reading "Best Drilled Company, College Battalion, I.A.C., 1885".
Frank attended Iowa State University one year, it is known, and he may have gone there longer. Next, for three terms he taught school, with possibly a part of the time being in the Slosson country school....
Frank teamed up with another young Northwood man, an old family friend believed to be named Atwood. These two ytoung men took adjacent timber claims, located somewhere in the Dakotas, not then divided into North and South Dakota. It was rugged country, too, with some Sioux Indians, it is believed, still in the area.
Frank Slossn and young Atwood, living in cabins at adjacent corners of their respective "160s," did their cooking ("batching") together. It was an enjoyable period, but perhaps without the challenge of social contacts. After the prescribed year of work, Frank relinquished his claim and went back to Northwood.....
Frank accepted a position in the Railway Mail Service tht had benn offered to him. He would travel on the train and see that the mail went through. Earlier, all mail had been sorted at the respective post offices along the railroad line. Time-consuming for the postmasters, that method had slowed down mail collection and delivery as well. Then came the concept of having trained men traveling on a special mail car. They would continuously sort mail picked up in bags stationed by the tracks. The sorted mail would next go into other bags which were tossed off at new stations in succession. This railway mail service, it is recorded, worked well from the start.
Frank became a guardian and classifer of the U.S. Mail, with a chance to see that part of the country....
Frank was granted a leave of absence from the railway mail service to go to Oklahoma. To enter the land race..... Troops stood guard on the borders of this land to hold back the horde of prospective settlers. Then, on April 22, 1889, at the prescribed hour, bugles blew, and the big Oklahoma land rush was one.....According to the plan of this land opening, the entrant had the option of lots or of land. Frank chose lots, going right where the train took him - to what turned out to be the center of Oklahoma City....
Frank staked lots, camped on them, and held off all usurpers. He lived there for a while, probably "batching" in a tent. Around him in that immediate area almost instantaneously 15,000 people had come.....
It was probably a month or two before Frank had sold out and returned to Northwood. Frank's position was still open, and he continued with the railway mail service for some years thereafter.
Before going back to work for the railway mail service, he did have a moment of glory in this hometown of Northwood. After purchasing a new suit, it is recorded, he went around visiting old friends who immediately, in a grand welcome, dubbed him "Oklahoma." Frank was someone; he had participated in perhaps the greatest land rush of all time......
He had a romance with a pleasant young Northwood woman by the name of Nellie Dye. A popular member of Northwood's first high school graduating class. Nellie was also an artist, using crayons and oils for painting portraits and landscapes.....Interested in poetry, too, Hamlet had been her junior class essay assignment. Additionally she played the organ, having, one of the old pump types with tremolo and other stops for various effects....
Frank had an adventurour spirit and so, in 1894, after the depression of that year, he decided to leave the railway mail service... He decided to go to Colorado Springs, close to Cripple Creek.... Their new home, Colorado Springs, was over a mile high, the elevation being 5,980 feet....At first, according to Nellie in later years, they lived in La Verne, a place not now existent, on the Cripple Creek side of Colorado Springs. Here was born Harold Dye Slosson.... Eventually the family moved to their permanent home in Colorado Springs at 828 Spruce Street, near Mesa.
Frank, having friends in Colorado Springs, and some savings, went into the business of selling real estate and mining stocks. This latter helped the prospector to commercialize his mineral discovery. One of his business cards shows "McGill & Slosson, Real Estate, Mining Stocks, Loans & Insurance," with its location at 107 South Tejon Street. For a time, also, he was associated with C.S. Wilson, with the Colorado Springs Board of Trade & Mining Exchange, listing these partners in their directory as members in good standing.....
Partnership was common in those mining days.... He had a couple of mining claims with his father-in-law, Nelson T. Dye, in te rugged Tarrall area of Park County....In partnership with tow other Colorado Springs businessmen, mark L. Dorr and Alexander Merideth, Frank purchased some 160 acres just north of town....The partners soon surmised that down below the land surface was a layer of coal.....A Mr. Corley, who had come into the area with considerable means, leased the property from Frank and his associates on a royalty basis. A two-carpartment shaft was sunk some 477 feet deep, where they found the coal layers, as predicted...
In 1903, for the best interests of their family, Frank and Nellie decided to leave Colorado to make a new start in California.... It was just in tiem, too, for here is a quote about what happened in Cripple Creek: "In 1903 and 1904, one of the bloodiest strikes in the annals of labor started the decline of the (Cripple Creek) Gold Camp. Miners moved their families over night from the terror, and fear turned lose in the district"...
Finally the Slosson family came to the end of their travel at monrovia, California......On his arrival in Monrovia and for a while thereafter, Frank was associated with his brother, Charley, in the latter's real estate office on the main street in the center ot town..... Frank, however, had left the railway mail service in order to have his own independent business. Thus, after a time, he opened his own real estate office in Pasadena, nine miles west of Monrovia.....His first office was just north of the main street, close to a public park. Later he moved into a large, newly constructed office building on the main street, Colorado Avenue.
Frank soon became associated with business groups. He was a member of the Pasadena Board of Trade, which played an important part in the growth and development of the city. He was also a member, taking an active interest in the pasadena Realty Board. Meanwhile, in his residence town, always loyal to his political part, for a time he was president of the Monrovia-Duarte Democratic Club......
In 1918 came the great flu epidemic, one of the most disastrous of all time. And so it came about that on january 30, 1919, Frank Slosson - adventurer, developer, and father of six children - passed one, being laid to reast in Live Oak Cemetery in Monrovia.....
Nellie was a member of the WCTU, having seen woe and sorrow caused by liquor in the Colorado miners. Additionally, always of first interest was her church, which fortunately was within easy walking distance. For many years she had been a regular member, serving on various commitees as well. Now, on the east wall of that church she had fathfully served for a half century, is located a beautiful stained glass window, the "Moses" window, which was dedicated to the memory of Nellie Dye Slosson in a special ceremony.
Although Nellie, with her small frame, had appeared frail, nevertheless, she had a surprising amount of quick energy, with much endurance as well. She was also blessed with longevity, remaining active and mentally alert until just past her eighty-eighth birthday. Then she had a hip fracture, with complications from which she never recovered. And so, on August 20, 1953, she was called Home, with her buiral place being beside Frank in the Family plot in Live Oak Cemetery, Monrovia. 
SLOSSON, Frank Abner (I52704)
 
312 "George Slawson: An American Pioneer" by Harold D. Slosson - Frank Slosson's daughter Ruth, giver of gifts to the visitor, lived close by the Pacific Ocean, as had the early Slossons by the Atlantic Ocean.
In her early Colorado days - she was eleven when the family moved to california - Ruth had been of a slender build like her mother. A friendly girl, she was idolized by the next-door neighbors, the Trulls....
The neighborhood boys wre a rough lot, perhaps because some of their fathers were hard-rock miners in the nearby Cripple Creek gold camp. And when they had ensnared the writer (Harold Slosson) into their gang, it was Ruth who in a determined way had rescued her young brother fro the gaqng's domination.
After moving to Monrovia in 1903, Ruth entered the old Orange Avenue School. All classes from first through twelfth were then held in that one school. Going into the sixth grade at that time, Ruth in a sense broke ground for the other children who at intervals followed her up the grammer school ladder.
When Ruth reached sighteen, she became acquainted with a young mechanic Will E. Janicki, who then lived near downtown Los Angeles, where his folks were old-timers. Will owned a "flivver," as the Model-T Ford was then called. It was a fascination at that time, helping him, perhaps, in his courtship of Ruth. The two were united in marriage at Monrovia on June 6, 1910. They had one son, William E. Janicki, born December 18, 1923.
Will became a marine engineer. For a tmie he had a commercial boat used in trade along the lower California coast. he even went as far south as Panama. He was a good storyteller, too, men always being interested in his tales of Mexican ports, rough sailors, and stormy times out on the sea.
The Janickis had a pleasant retirement among friendly neighbors in North Long Beach. Ruth passed away Sept. 6, 1967, Will having passed away earlier in 1963. Both are buried at the Inglewood Cemetery, near Southwest Los Angeles. 
SLOSSON, Ruth Marean (I53035)
 
313 "George Slawson: An American Pioneer" by Harold D. Slosson - Frank Slosson's daughter, an artist and teacher, she was the mother ot twins - something new in the Slosson line....
Dorothy was a teacher. After graduation from Monrovia High School, she attended Pasadena's "Broadoaks," a well-considered school at that time. Her specialty was kindergarten work, and she had the patience and kindliness to properly start the little tots on their way through school....
From Monrovia, Dorothy went to Santa Paula, where she was a teacher. She made friends, joined a church, and helped out in community affairs.....Among the firends Dorothy made at that time was Clare Crawford. He was the son of Dr. John Crawford, pioneer Santa Paula physician and the first health official of that city. Clare was a citrus rancher, and, as it happened, had been a student at the University of Southern California where he had been a friend of the writer. The friendship of Dorothy and Clare ripened into a romance, and they were married on June 22, 1927.
The Crawford family started with twins, Donald and Dorothy. Next, they had another son, Jon....
But Dorothy had a critical illness, and after some time she passed away on August 2, 1961. After that, Clare remained close to the children, who were a great comfort to him....
Meanwhile, Clare, who had been in the Army Air Corps during World War I, joined the Pt. Hueneme Fire Department during World War II. As an old-timer in Santa Paula, he had many friends in his church and the local American Legion post. After being well past the biblical three score and ten, he too passed away on August 22, 1974.
Dorothy and Clare are buried together in the Santa Paula Cemetery. 
SLOSSON, Dorothy Mildred (I52628)
 
314 "George Slawson: An American Pioneer" by Harold D. Slosson - Frank Slosson's second son, gifted with a good speaking voice and fine hand-writing, has been the family correspondent.
During school days honors came to Rallh. He was the leading man in his senior class play. In the pre-TV period, townspeople turned out generally to see the play, with local town publicity specially featuring it.
After high school, Ralph attened business college. At that time, in addition to the study of business fundamentals, good handwriting was stressed. However, the Spencerian style came to him, he is without doubt the best penman in the family.
Ralph's first position was with the First National Bank....this bankd subsequently became a branch of the Security-Pacific bank, the second largest bank in California.
Next, Ralph served the Monrovia Building & Loan Company, which eventually became the Brentwood Savings & Loan Assn. of Beverly Hills...He handled property in the Michilinda area near Huntington Drive. Now a shopping center is near there, with the Santa Anita Fashion Center being not far away.
Starting during high school days, Ralph became interested in youth work. Initially he taught a boys' Sunday School class, and for many years he helped the YMCA of that area. Additionally he had served the Boy Scouts in many important capacities.
During World War II, although older than many concerned, he had been with an air force unit in Florida.
Ralph helped his mother, Nellie Slosson, during her declining years. Now he lives in Monrovia with his wife, Gabrielle, who has been one of the leaders in the Monrovia Business & Professional Women's Club. Gifted with a fine voice, Garielle sang for many years in her church choir. She shared another talent by teaching French language students... 
SLOSSON, Ralph Delano (I53001)
 
315 "George Slawson: An American Pioneer" by Harold D. Slosson - Roy, the student, had great promise as a leader in the intellectual field. Unfortunately, just before his school graduation, there came a tragedy....
A school record still remaining shows that Roy was in the academic department. But he had varied interests, being enrolled in a scientific course. Also, he served on the editorial staff of the school's paper, the "Nora Springs Seminarian". In a totally different area, he gave an impersonation in the annuel elocution contest.
Finally, in June 11, 1896, was to come the graduation exercises for the Class of 1896, Academic Department of the Nora Springs Seminary and Business College. It was to be Roy's big day, for although he was just seventeen, he was a senior in the class and was to give one of the orations. Just before those exercises, there is what happened, according to some news accounts still preserved.
The preceptor, as the elocution coach was called, together with five boys in the class, had gone to the banks of the Shell Rock River, not far away. there, as practice for the final night, each boy in turn recited his oration to the professor.
Their orations having been given, one of the boys proposed that they bathe in the stream, as was common custom of boys in rural areas at that thime. Two of the boys, who could not swim, went upstream, then aroung a bend where they believed the water was shallow for easy wading across. Perhaps as a gesture of friendship, Roy - believed to hae been only a fair swimmer - had accompanied them.
Soon, one of the boys who had initially remained behind went upstream, arriving around the bend only in time to see Roy apparently in a vain attempt to rescue his companions. What must have looked to them like a shallow place in the river had turned out to be a deep hole. All three boys were drowned.
"There is no doubt in the minds of the professor or Roy's classmates," states the previously mentioned news account, "that Roy in a brave and noble effort to rescue his friends and classmates, gave up his own life."
In a matter of minutes had ended the promising career of Roy C. Slosson. memorial services were held in Northwood, Iowa, on June 8, 1896....
Near a pine tree in the old Prairie cemetery north of town rest the mortal remains of Roy Clinton Slosson. 
SLOSSON, Roy Clinton (I53028)
 
316 "George Slawson: An American Pioneer" by Harold D. Slosson. Frank Slosson's second daughter, who earned a doctor's degree, and now lives in an historic adobe.
Jane was two years old when moved by her parents from Albert Lea to Colorado Springs. She was nine years old when they moved to California's San Gabriel Valley.
In Monrovia's schools, Jane's scholastic record was outstanding. In only three years she completed the regulation four-year high school course. Then she earned her degree at the College of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons.
In college days she became acquainted with a young student leader, Ernest Bashor. Since World War I had started, afte receiving his degree Ernest became a first lieutenant in the Medical Corps. These school-day friends were married in onrovia on June 8, 1918.
Ernest lived an active, helpful life, always in command of each undertaking, brightening difficulties with humorous anecdotes. A few of his attainments were: in the professional field he had been a founder and a membe of Monte Sano Hospital's board of directors; member of the board of directors of Blue Cross of Southern Californa; and a president of the Los Angeles City Health Commission. In fraternal affairs he was chairman of the endowment board for Masonic Homes. In the service club, Kiwanis he had been district governor and lieutenant-governor, and a trustee of Kiwanis International. He was a past president of the Breakfast Club, and had been commander of his American Legion Post.
Of particular interest to Dr. Ernest was helping youngsters in need, as in the McKinley Home for Boys at San Dimas. The "Bashor Cottage" now stands there to honor the Bashors' help.....
Early California history came into the Bashor's lives - in 1784 Jose Maria Verdugo was granted the San Rafael Rancho in what is now the Glendale area. Jose's blind daughter, Cataline Verdugo, lived in an adobe in a canyon where a gigantic oak grew. In more recent years, Dr. Bashor rescued that historic adobe from the subdivider's bulldozer. He then restored the adobe with park-like grounds around it, as the Bashors' family living place.
Finally, after a long, busy life, on Marc 1, 1969, Dr. Ernest Bashor passed away at age seventy-seven. Now Jane, with her many friends and family members paying her pleasant visits, still lives in the Catalina Verdugo adobe..... 
SLOSSON, Jane May (I52804)
 
317 "George Slawson: An American Pioneer" by Harold D. Slosson: Abner was getting older, and in that day of early marriages was probably called an old bachelor by his friends. Finally, at the age of thirty-three, he had a romance with a local girl, being married on March 14, 1833, to Nancy Marean. the years likewise had been moving by for Nancy, who was two years older than Abner, having been born on July 11, 1798, the daughter of Thomas and Esther (Patterson) Marean.
Nancy's folks - The Pattersons and the Mareans - were pioneers in that area, having arrived in 1786, the year after Binghampton was founded. At the time of their arrival, according to old notes, there were only four houses in that area.....
Abner's home at Newark Valley was only about a dozen miles from these commercially promising cities. But he did not feel the urge to join them in their growth. Rather, he and Nancy, after marriage, moved a short way to the east to another small village called Maine, just over the line in Broome County. He has been handed down to the writer that Abner's farm was a good one. Also, that it was close in, being only a mile from the village.
Nancy and Abner had three children, born and raised on their farm, as follows: John Marean Slosson, born March 29, 1835, ...;Rebecca Emily Slosson, born the next year, was later married to Eldad Barber; and finally came Albert Slosson, born in 1838, who never married.
The Abner Slossons, as near as is known, had a successful but rather uneventful life on their farm, probably helping with church and community affairs. finally, on March 2, 1865 - just a month before the close of the Civil War - Nancy passed on. Shortly afterward Abner sold his farm, as did his son, Albert, and then, together with Abner's daughter Rebecca Barber, they moved west to Northwood, Iowa, to be with Abner's first-born son, John Marean Slosson, already established there.
It is believed that this change in location was in the nature of a retirement, "moving to town." Finally, in 1877, at the age of seventy-seven years, Abner passed on to his reward. His son, Albert, lived until 1904, with his sister, Rebecca, having passed away sometime after her marriage to Eldad Barber in 1883. 
SLOSSON, Abner (I52499)
 
318 "George Slawson: An American Pioneer" by Harold Dye Slosson - While attending Monrovia High School, harold had worked on the ranches of that area during summer vacations to obtain needed money. he had even been a "teamster" - driving horses and mules over the Mojave Desert. His aim was to be a great rancher.....Obedient to both parents' wishes, and encouraged by his sister Jane, harold majored in chemistry, graduating from the University of Southern California in 1921.
An interruption came when he was in the army in World War I. During World War II he served in the California State Guard. Later he became a radiological monitor, and now is a fallout shelter analyst under the Department of Defense.
Over a forty-nine year period, harold was associated with the same chemical manufacturing company, now a national concern, the Filtrol Corporation. Early he had been their chief chemist, and served in other technical capacities. He is a professional engineer in chemical engineering, and a member emeritus of the American Chemical Society.
In 1924 he married Margaret Thayer, whose parents were old-timers in Los Angeles. Margaret, a graduate of the University of Clifornia at Berkeley, and the U.S.C. School of Library Science, was then employed in the Los Angeles Library. Their two children were Walter and Margery. Walter, a deputy public defender for Los Angeles County, was full of promise in the legal and social service fields. In May, 1959, when going to a conference, however, he was struck down in a traffic accident. On a public mission, the young defender lost his life.
The Harold Slossons were active in PTA, Red Cross, Boy Scouts, and other commnity affairs in their area. They are charter members of the Neighborhood Covenant Church, and also members of the San Gabriel Historical Society. On June 30, 1974, they celebrated their fiftieth wedding anniversary, with some 250 friends and relatives from five counties attending their reception.
Now retired in South San Gabriel, harold and Margaret live in a small home on an acre of land acquired in 1935, when it was country..... 
SLOSSON, Harold Dye (I52749)
 
319 "George Slawson: An American Pioneer" by Harold Dye Slosson - Frank Slosson's third daughter was the leader in whose memory a tree was planted beside her church....
Glaydice was a Monrovia High School leader. After graduation she followed her cousin, Jean, in the public library work. Next she attended the University of California at Berkeley, where she received high grades.
Her older sister, Jane, had married a doctor, Ernest Bashor. In this way Glaydice became acquainted with Ernest's brother, Horace, who, although a medical student during World War I, had been a cadel flyer. A romance developed, and on June 11, 1921, at Pasadena, Glaydice and Horace were married. Two Slosson sisters married two Bashor brothers, both doctors.
Horace had attended the University of Idaho, where he had been a member of the football team. Later he received a degree from the College of Osteopathic Physicans and Surgeons, Los Angeles. Afterwards he had an extensive practice, with his office on Wilshire Boulevard's Miracle Mile, then a prestigious professional center.....
Not only did Dr. Horace Bashor, always poised and relaxed, know medicine and the anatomy of man, but he also knew their minds as well. Thus his wise counsel was valued by his patients; it helped them - sometimes even withoutsurgery or medicine - in their struggle to regain health.
Horace helped the church and social causes; he had fraternal connections, and was a member of Kiwanis. Glaydice heped him at that time, being, for example, a member of the Women's Osteopathic Auxiliary.
Glaydice and Horace had two boys, Robert and Philip....
But when their boys were grown, Dr. Horace passed away at the age of sixty-five. In his memory, Glaydice established the Dr. Horace Bashor Memorial Library in the Silverlake Presbyterian Church. She was thereafter active in that church, being ordained an elder in 1962.....
Meanwhile, she continued service elsewhere, being a member of the P.E.O. and the Los Feliz Women's Club. Also she had been chairman of the board of management of the Hollywood YWCA.
In 1967 Glaydice was a passenger on the "Queen Mary" on its final gtrip from England around the Horn to the Pacific Coast of America.....
Near the end of 1971, Glaydice had been particularly busy. She retired one night, passing away peacefully on December 4, 1971. She is buried at Forest Lawn beside her mate and companion of many years, Dr. Horace Bashor. 
SLOSSON, Glaydice Lucille (I52734)
 
320 "George Slawson: An American Pioneer", by Harold D Slosson: John was the New York school teacher who in 1859 took his bride Roxy Jane, across the country - partway in a covered wagon - to Northwood, Iowa. There, while raising their family, the Slossons struggled to subdue a large farm on the prairie....
At this particular time, 1856, there was offered by the United States government to its citizens an opportunity to preempt land in southeas Minnesota. Preemption was a federal enactment (1841) to encourage development, whereby after a time settlers onpublic lands might purchase that porperty at a reasonable price.
It was just the opportunity that John, now age twenty-one and a citizen, had been waiting for. "He got the western fever,: explained one of his sons many years later. So, after making arrangements with the school and getting things in order, he started out on his great adventure - a trip to the west.
A prerequisite for traveling at that time was a stout purse well-filled with cash. Travel cards, credit cards, and branch banks were unheard of; nor could the traveler telegraph home for more funds. At each transfer point, John would have to put cash on the counter to get his ticket for the next leg of the journey.
Additionaly, John had to have physical strength to hold his own against bandits and gunmen in the frontier towns. Strength of character was likewise needed to avoid losing money to a trickster, bunko artist, or even some woman at that time preying on green lads from the country.
Also, when John reached his destination, he would need money to live on and to develop the new land for which, finally, he had to pay the government. Emergency funds were advisable, too. All of which made a western migration a major project for a young man like John, who had just reached his majority.
Once at Spring Valley, Minnesota, John worked on his new land. Details of his efforts have been los, but it is recorded that after completing his preemption requirements, John sold out to someone else - not an unusual circumstance at that time.
Meanwhile, John had heard of rich farmland to be had at a nominal price pleasantly located in north-central Iowa. It was in Worth County, where susequently the small town of Northwood was started. This was an opportunity that appealed to John, who had money in his pocket from the sale of the Spring Valley land.....
John Slosson arrived in Northwood in 1857, the year the town was plotted. Recognized as one of the first permanent settlers in Worth County, he purchased his farmland in section twenty-nine, now inside the present town of Northwood....
Meanwhile, John was carrying on with his farming. He was handicapped at times for supplies, since in all Worth county there was only one store. Started late in 1857, this store was operated by B.H. Beckett in a small fame building - the first business structure in that section. Supplies had to be hauled in by ox teams some 130 miles from McGregor on the Mississippi River....By the same token, farm products had to be shipped out by this same route at an understandably high charge, thus reducing the farmer's net income. Nevertheless, John seemed to have managed well, and to have a promising future. In 1859, therefore, when he was twenty-four years old, he made another important decision. it was to return to his home state of New York and there in De Ruyter to marry his sweetheart of schoolteaching days, Roxy Jane Finch....
When John reached De ruyter, he was greeted by the Finches, who were a large and important family in that new York area. So we can be certain that John and Roxy jane said their vows in a pleasant, old-fashioned church wedding...
...John Slosson had first lived on a small farm in section twenty-nine - John's early purchase - in what is now a part of the town of Northwood. This farm was subscquently sold, and in the spring of 1869 John acquired another farm three and a half miles southward from Northwood. It is in section sixteen, Kensett Township; but Northwood, which is in Worth County, still remained the center of the family's interests.
This new farm was nearly a section of land, or one square mile in size. More precisely, it was a little less than 600 acres. Flowing through th property, adding to its scenic attractiveness, was the Shell Rock River, which passes along the south side of the town of Northwood. The family home - anangular, Eastern-type, two-story frame building - was located on a knoll on the river bank, just out of reach of the seasonal floods...
John Slosson, Senior, was thirty-four years old when the family moved to the large farm. He is understood to have been reasonably tall and rather spare....He took an active interest in commnitym county, and state affairs. A summary of the father's life as written by his son, Frank.
Mr. Slosson (John arean, Sr.) helped to organize Kensett township and was chairman of the first board of trustees. He took an active interest in the organization of the same county. He, together with his eldest son, Charles E., established the first creamery in Worth County, it being one of the first in the state. In 1887 he was elected by a large majority to represent Worth County in the State Legislature, but owing to failing health he was not a candidate for reelection.
He was a successful farmer, taking a special interest in stock raising and horticultural matters. His death occured on March 29, 1900, one day previous to his 65th birthday.
The foregoing account is in accord with an obituary writted in the local newspaper at that time. Under the heading of "Hon. J.M. Slosson Dead," there is mentioned the community's high esteem "...for one of Worth County's earliest citizens as well as one of its best." It further states that "....with all of his old ambitions and his honors, he was a modet unobtrusive man...of spotless integrity, one who dealt justly with every one and wisted all men well." Continuing on, "he was a public spirited citizen who won the full confidence and liking of all who really knew him."
....It was provided in his will that his widow, Roxy Jane, should have a life lease on the property. But subject to this lease, about half of the land - some 300 acres, which included the farmhouse and barns - was willed to his then youngest son, John, Jr., who was at that time helping his father on the farm. Thus he might be expected to remain there. The other half of the property was willed in euql shares to the remaining children - Charles, Mary, and Frank.
Relieved of the farm's management, as would have been her task had the farm come to her outright shortly after the turn of the century, John's widow, Roxy Jane, moved to Monrovia, California. This was with her daughter Mary, and granddaughter, Jean. John did keep his half of the farm throughout his life. The land portions willed to Charles, Mary, and Frank were sold for their respective accounts.
Roxy Jane Slosson was living in retirement in Monrovia, California. there she had a small home - a California bungalow, which was occupied jointly with her daughter, Mary, and granddaughter, Jean. Roxy Jane kept busy with fruit trees around the place, as well as being active in local church work.
Grandmother Roxy Jane (Finch) Slosson in her youth was undoubtedly a good-looking woman of the fair type. Even in later years, her eyes were bright her features regular, and her skin perfectly clear and white. This smooth, clear skin seemed to be a Fionch family characteristic, evidenced in her sisters Hattie and Julia.
She was an early-day conservationist. Each sack or piece of paper that came into the house was saved on the shelf for future use. Pieces of string, no matter how small, were tied to the end of the string ball, which ever increased in size. Furthermore, grass clippings were placed under the home fruit trees where chickens grazed and lived on table scraps. Thus, the soil was enriched so that more fruit was produced, with the excess being canned in Mason jars to be used as the wintertime dessert.....
Of rather slight build, Roxy Jane Slosson nevertheless kept alert and active until her passing at the age of seventy-nine. Her buial place is in the Live Oak Cemetery at Monrovia. She can be remembered as a devout, faithful, hard-working pioneer woman, who raised her family under the rugged conditions existent on the early American plains..... 
SLOSSON, John Marean (I52828)
 
321 "George Slawson:An American Pioneer" by Harold D. Slosson - Daughter of Mary Slosson Stelson, calm, wise, and pleasant, she was the leader whom her many friends like most to follow.
Brought from Iowa to California by her mother about 1902, Jean started the first grade in the historic Orange Avenue School of Monrovia. Then the town's population was around 3000; by 1970 it had grown some ten tines to 30,000.
Possibly a little larger than some girls of the same age, she was attractive, wit even features, brown hair, hazel eyes, and a pleasant manner. While not really mechanical, nevertheless Jean early owned a bicycle which she rode over the unpaved streets and sidewalks of the town, Later, when a young lady, she enjoyed friving her Model-T Ford, called "Georgette."...
Jean, an excellent student, graduated from high school in 1914. But more education was required for her library careet. Thus she went for a year to Pomona College, following which she attended the University of California at Berkeley. After graduation there, she trained for a year in the Los Angeles Public Library School.
This schoolwork completed, Jean was immediately given a position in the Los Angeles Library, then occupying quarters on the top floors of the Metropolitan Building, on the northwest corner of Fifth and Broadway. She also did responsible work for various city branch libraries.
Jean had many friends in the library, her church, and other circles. One of these groups included John Angus Smith, a young Canadian of Scottish ancestry, who had served in World War I. Their friendship ripened into a romance, with their marriage taking place in Los Angeles on January 10, 1925.
Meanwhile, Jack, as he was called, helped out in church and community affairs while doing construction work. The young couple had many pleasant times tiwh Southland friends and relatives. To them on November 27, 1935. was born a son, Malcolm George.
Soon after this, however, the mother, Jean, passed away, leaving the father Jack, to care for their infant son. Assisting with his care and guidance were two devoted aunts, Annie Sith and Bella Cattermole.
After doing a hard day's work, when going to a meeting to help others, Jack passed away on march 5, 1952. both he and Jean are buried in the Slosson family plot in Live Oak Cemetery, Monrovia. 
STELSON, Alma Jean (I55054)
 
322 "George Slosson: An American Pioneer" by Harold D. Slosson - Jack worked for the Day and Night Water Heating Company, becoming the manager of their division plant in Los Angeles. Jack passes away on November 1, 1939. Thereafter Arline lived in the old home place until she, too passes away on April 17, 1950. Both are buried in the family plot in Altadena's Mountain View Cemetery. SNYDER, John Wilmer (I53708)
 
323 "God's Infinite Variety - An American": WOODBURY - The name Woodbury is spedded Wodeberie, in the Doomsday Book (1086) and has been recorded with fifty-three different methods of spelling. Knights fees have been recorded for generations, and four coats-of-arms were granted, the earliest being in 1325, and the crest in 1484, but the family were entirely of the Saxon yeomanry, without Norman blood or any of the titles of nobility.
Families in England requently took the names of the lands they occupied, abandoning their Norman names in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. In the parish of Woodbury, we find the "Damnerle de Wodebere"; also plain "de Wodebere," in all varieties of spelling on deeds and records at that time. Near the middle of the thirteenth cdentury the records show "Wodebere Court" in the parish of Blymtree, held with other lands by a line of de Wodeberes, "as a foef of the honor of Gloucester."
Woodburys have been in many of the wars of England; one was prior of Worcester, a few years before the Reformation. Their name has been born by stout squires and doughty knights before the War of the Roses, but those who brought it to America had a keener quality of adventure and firmness of character.

WILLIAM WOODBURY was born in County Somerset, England, about 1589. The parish register in South Petherton, in te southeastern part of Somersetshire, discloses the year of his marriage, the ame of his wife and the baptismal record of three of his children, Nicholas, William and Andrew.
William Woodbury embarked for the colonies about the year 1630. He received several small grants of land in Massachusetts, near the "Old Planters" and proceeded to till his acres. In 1647 or 1648 he returned to England on business, as is shown from a letter addressed to him and one John Balch and written by "Tristram Dolliber of Stoke Abbas, County Dorset." In 1652 the smae gentleman conferred the power of attorney upon him and Samuel Dolliver, of Marblehead. In 1654 Wlliam acted as one of the plots for Captain Lathrop on the Port Royal Expedition.
William Woodbury lived in Salem, Massachusetts, at various times and was a member of the church there. He was admitted a freeman of the Bay Colony, and in 1667, when an independent church was formed at Beverly, William Woodbury, Sr., was one of the original members. He was one of five witnesses to the Indian deed (1668) that the grandsons of the old Chief "Saggamore" George, made of the lands of Salem to that town. He and his sons, together with John Woodbury and the latter's son Humphrey resided for a while at Bass River, and founded the large families of Woodbury in that section of the country.
Died in 1677, aged eighty-eight years, at Beverly, Massachusetts
Married, January 29, 1616, in South Petherton,Somersetshire, England, Elizabeth Patch, who was baptized April 16, 1593; she became a member of the Salem Church. 
WOODBURY, William (I62618)
 
324 "God's Infinite Variety-An American": HENRY HERRICK, founder of the family in America, who was born August 16, 1604, Beau Manor, Leicestershire. Sir William recorded his birth as follows: "Thursday, 16" of August, 1604, my wife brought abead of a fifthe sonne."
Henry came to the colonies in 1629, arrived first in Virginia, where he stayed for a short time: however, he is recorded in Naumkeag (Salem), Massachusetts, on June 2nd of that year. He took the oath of freeman at Salem, May 18, 1631. He removed to Wenham, but shortly thereafter settled on "Cape-Ann-Syde" of Bass River (now Beverly, Massachusetts), and owned a large farm there. He purchased several other farms at Birch Plains and Cherry Hill, which he deeded to his sons Zacharie, Ephraim, Joseph, and John. His son HENRY inherited the homestead at Beverly.
Henry Herrick, Sr., was a husbandman, and his sons all followed the same occupation, with the possible exception of Joseph. He was a dissenter from the Established Church, and was the friend of the Reverend Mr. Higginson who had been a dissenting minister in Leicestershire. Henry and his wife were among the thirty who founded the First Church of Salem in 1629. Upon the organization of the new parish on "Ryal-Syde" in 1667, they, together with their sons and the latter's wives were among the founders of the First Church at Beverly.
Died in 1671. His will dated November 24, 1670, was proved March 28, 1671.
Married Editha Laskin, daughter of Hugh (who died in Salem in 1689) and Alce Laskin (who died "23:5 mo:1658"), of Salem; she was born in 1614, and was living in 1674. 
HERRICK, Henry (I28355)
 
325 "Groups of Palmer Families from Walter Palmer of Charlestown and Rehoboth, Mass., Stonington, Conn. (1901) (NewEnglandAncestors.org)

Grace Palmer, daughter of Walter and Elizabeth Palmer, was born in England between the years 1608-10. She became a member of the First Church in Charlestown, Middlesex County, Mass., June 1, 1632, at the same time her father and step-mother united with it. She married, in Charlestown, Thomas Minor, who was born in Chew Magne, county Somerset, England, April 23, 1608, and was of the tenth generation in the Minor family. He came in the fleet which bore John Winthrop, future governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, which put into port at Cape Ann, now Salem, Essex Co., Mass., Saturday, June 12, 1630.
Thomas Minor received Lot 18 in the first division of land at Mystic Side, now Charlestown, on the sixth of the first month, 1637. His future father-in-law, Walter Palmer, receiving Lot 15.
From Charlestown, Thomas Minor migrated, first to Hingham, Plymouth County, where four children were born, thence to Stonington, New London County, Conn., where he bouth a large tract of land lying on the borders of Wequetequack Cove, in 1652, whereon he built his house, having made a brief previous residence in Hingham, Plymouth Co. Mass. going thence to New London in 1645, where he had a grant of one home lot and built a house, but sold the whole to settle at his final abode in Stonington, where he met with some difficulty, by the fact that a grant of three hundred acres of land from the town of New London to Governor Haynes, and sold by the latter to Walter Palmer, being found to cover Minor's lot. He, however, signed the conveyance, qualifying it by the reservation that he should inhabit the place until he should have time to erect another dwelling at Mistupet. He held a very prominent place in all the stirring events which ensued in the settlement of this plantation where he died October 23, 1690. She died October, 1690, and is said to have been born the same year as her husband. 
PALMER, Grace (I43129)
 
326 "Hale, House and Related Families": "He was baptized under the name of Trott, married under the name of Trett; his children were baptized by the names of Trott and Tratt, and he was called Treat when he died." He signed documents with the spellings Treat and Treate. Winthrop referred to him in 1669 as Mr. Richard Treat, senior above 80 years. But in 1657 he noted Elizabeth Treat, 1 1/2 years, a daughter of "Mathias Treat alias Trott - a Kinsman of Mr. Trott." These entries show Winthop's knowledge of the shift in spelling the name, and confirm the opinion of the compiler of "The Treat Family" that Matthias Treat of Wethersfield was a relative of Mr. Richard Treat.

Alice Gaylard(Gaylord, Gaylaud) was daughter of Hugh Gaylard who appears in Taunton manor Registers as early as 1573, and was buried at Pitminister, 21 Oct 1614. He was probably son of Nicholas and Johane Gaylard, and by 1608 had an adult son George.

Richard Trotte appears in the Taunton manor Registers, which show that in 1600 he held land by surrender (because of death) of Robert Trotte, Honora relict of said Robert to hold during her widowhood. The family lived in the hamlet of Trendle (now the parish of Trull), in the large parish of Pitminster, less than five miles south of Taunton. Here all his children were born.

He emigrated after the baptism of his youngest child in June 1637, and was living in Wethersfield, Conn., by 1641, when entry of his land holdings was made there. He served as Deputy for Wethersfield to the General Court at the sessions of Apr. and Sept. 1644, Apr., Sept. and Dec. 1645, Apr and Oct. 1646, May and Sept 1647, May and Sept. 1648, May and Sept. 1649, May and Oct 1650, May and Sept. 1651, may and Sept. 1652, May and Sept. 1653, May and Sept. 1654, may and Oct. 1655, May 1656, Feb, May and Oct, 1657; and as Assistant of the Colony from May 1658 to May 1665. He was named as Patentee of the Royal Charter of Connecticut in 1662. 
TREAT, Hon. Richard (I57542)
 
327 "Harman Genealogy" with Biographical Sketches 1700-1924. Source (S04132)
 
328 "Harman-Harmon Genealogy and Biography with Historical Notes 19 B.C. to 1928 A.D.". Source (S04133)
 
329 "He resided at Stratford until about 1670, when, with most of his family, he removed to Woodbury, Conn., although retaining all his proprietary rights at Stratford, which, together with his plantation at Woodbury, according to his last will and testament, were devised to his wife and children and afforded each a handsome competency. He evidently enjoyed the esteem of his fellow citizens of Stratford during his protracted residence there, as on several occasions, they honored him with the important office of townsman, or Selectman, the Townsman being, as it were, the moral and economic conservator of the township." - "Sergeant Francis Nicholls and His Descendants" p. 16. NICHOLS, Caleb (I41323)
 
330 "He was a wheelwright and owned and occupied that part of his father's estate which included most of what is now known as Eddyville. His house stood by the great pear trees, long a landmark, and famous in all region for their size and fruit. It stood on a gentle knooll with a spring at its foot, the soil being fertile and easy of tilage, and well-watered.

"His home was burned to the ground about 1721, so he built another a little farther to the south of the site of the first. This is the one that is now standing in Eddyville, the oldest house existing in this line of ancestry and today it is in good preservation, cheerful and homelike." (Eddy Gen. 1881)

Melatiah was born in the fort where the inhabitants of Plymouth had taken refuge in the first year of King Philip's War. When she was an elderly woman she used to tell about the "times when the Indians were ten to one of the whites." Her parents died when she was young and she was brought up in the family of Ebenezer Tinkham, who was one of the deacons of the First Church when it was organized in 1694. Melatiah was admitted to the church on May 20, 1715. She was very religious. It is said of her that when her children were sick, she knelt down and prayed with them. She had a very frail constitution and always felt that her life would be short, but she outlived her husband, who was far more robust.

By a codicil added to his father's will on Dec. 17, 1722, Samuel was made executor. He appears on the town records when he and his brother Benjamin with others on Mar. 30, 1717 purchased of James Soule "two acres of land in the 26 Men's Purchase to be used for a Parish Burying Ground." This land is opposite the First Church and contains the graves of many of this branch of the family. Samuel was admitted to the First Church June 12, 1715. In the years between 1744 and 1748 there was a great dissension in the church at Middleboro between the "New Lights" and the "Old Lights". Samuel was one of those chosen to serve on a committee to devise some means to settle the differences.

In march 1734, Benjamin White, Samuel Eddy and Joseph Pumpus and two others petitioned the court for their "free consent to build a slitting mill on the Nemasket River on land of Moses Sturtewant." this permission was granted, but the dam was not built until later. They left "a sufficient opening for the passing of the herring up to the great ponds."

The earliest record of the First Military Co. of Middleboro, taken Jan. 19, 1710/11 has on its list, Serg Samuel eddy, and also the name of Benjamin Eddy. (Hist of Plymouth Col.)

"He was a man of uncommon strength and robust constitution, his frame being very large. Tradition has preserved remarkable proofs of his powers." (Eddy Gen. p. 208) 
EDDY, Samuel (I77053)
 
331 "Here lies inter'd ye
Remains of Mrs. Susan-
na Rawson, Relict of
ye late Re. Mr. Grindal
Rawson Pastor of ye
church of Christ in
Mendon and daughter
to ye Rev. Mr. John Wil
son 1st Minister of ye
Gospel in Medfield
who departed this life
July 8th ADomini 1748
in ye 84th year of her age."  
WILSON, Susanna (I93076)
 
332 "Here lies the body of Mrs. Ruth Hale the wife of Ezekiel Hale who died November the 27th 1735 aged 45 years".

Grave 83 
EMERY, Ruth (I21166)
 
333 "Historical Outline of the Ransom Family of America" by Wyllys C. Ransom dated 1903. Source (S00066)
 
334 "History and Biographical Record of Branch County, Michigan":

HARLOW W. WILLIAMS

From the age of ten years harlow W. Williams has been a resident of Coldwater. Almost seventy years have come and gone since that time and great changes have occurred within this period as the county has emerged from pioneer conditions to take its place as the center of an advanced civilization. Log cabins have given place to commodious and attractive homes, churches and schools have been built, business enterprises introduced and the land has been converted from a wild tract into richly productive fields. Mr. Williams has not only witnessed all this change, but has taken an active part in the development of the county, and his labors have resulted beneficially for the community.

A native of the Empire state, Mr. Williams was born in Royalton township, Niagara county, New York, April 16, 1826. His father, Elisha Williams, was a native of Massachusetts and was there reared. In early life he learned the trade of a hatter, cooper and carpenter and joiner and shoemaker and he was naturally a mechanic, so that he was well qualified to do various kinds of labor. He was married in Massachusetts to Siba Parmalee, a native of Connecticut, and they located in Victor, Ontario county, New York, whence they afterward removed to Royalton, Niagara county, and later to Erie county. The year 1836 witnessed their removal to Coldwater. They reached their destination on the 11th of October, and Mr. Williams assisted largely in building up the town. Being a carpenter and joiner, he erected some of the first houses in this place and contributed in substantial measure to the growth and development of the city. He lived to be eighty-three years of age, while his wife passed away when about fifty-five years of age. They were the parents of eight children, four sons and four daughters, all of whom reached adult age, married and reared families of their own.

Harlow W. Williams, the youngest of the family and the only one now living, was but ten years of age when he came to Branch county, locating with his parents in Coldwater. Here he was reared, acquiring his education in the pioneer schools of te village. His mother died when he was but fifteen years of age, and he then started out in life on his own account, working at anything which he could get to do. He followed both carpentering and coopering, also did painting and other work, for he seemed to have inherited his father's natural mechanical ingenuity, and was also instructed by him in various branches of labor. He began contracting when a young man, and his life of intense activity continued through many years, but now he is enjoying a well earned rest.

On the 11th of August, 1846, Mr. Williams was united in marriage to Mss Loisa Carter, a daughter of Benoni and Hannah (Mansfield) Carter, and a native of Monroe county, New York. Her birth occurred in Penfield, October 28, 1830. In the year in which their marriage occurred, Mr. and Mrs. Williams located in Quincy, where he engaged in carpentering as a contractor and builder. He lived in that city for about fifteen years, and in Butler for ten years, making his home on the farm and at the same time continuing his building operations. In 1872 he became overseer of the county farm, which position he filled until 1877, when he was appointed superintendent of the poor by the board of supervisors, and acted in tat capacity for three years. he was chairman of the board, and in the discharge of his official duties he was ever prompt, faithful and reliable. In 1877 he took up his abode again in Coldwater, where he now resides, living retired at the present time. He has contributed in large measure, however, to the substantial improvement of the county, which he has seen developed from its primitive condition. He has erected many school houses and residences and has built many bridges. He has put up a number of houses in Coldwater for himself, selling them on the installment plan, and at one time he was also engaged in the livery business here. He has likewise had other interests, and in the control of his varied business affairs he has shown keen discrimination, strong executive ability and unbounded perseverance. Now in possession of a handsome competence, acquired through his well directed labors, he is enjoying a rest which is richly merited.

In his political views Mr. Williams has always been a staunch Republican since the organization of the party, and has held a number of local offices. He was supervisor of Butler township until he resigned , and was treasurer of Quincy township for about two years. He has always been interested in public affairs, and his labors have been resultant factors in promoting the welfare and growth of this part of the state, where he has now lived for a period of sixty-nine years. His acquaintance is wide and he enjoys the respect of young and old, rich and poor.
 
WILLIAMS, Harlow Wheaton (I72670)
 
335 "History and Gen. of the Families of Old Fairfield":
Deputy (Norwalk) to Conn. Leg., Oct. 1669, Oct 1671, Oct. 1673, May 1674, May 1675, Oct. 1676, May and Oct. 1677, May 1678, Oct. 1679, May 1680, May 1681, May and Oct. 1682, May 1683, May and Oct. 1685. Sergt., Norwalk Trainband.
Will of John, Sr., 25 Dec. 1706, poved 27 Jan. 1706-07; wife Mary; grandchild John Bowton of Danbur; sons Mathew and Joseph Bowton; dau. Rachel Sension; son Thomas Bwton; dau. Elizabeth Warrin; son Richard Bowton; da. Mary Bowton; three sons Joseph, Thomas and Richard. Matthew Sension, "Edman Waren", and James Betts, sons-in-law to the dec'd, appealed.
On 16 July 1720, Mary Bouton of Norwalk distributed property to son Thomas Bouton, dau. Mary Morehouse, to "Thomas and Richard:, eese to Thomas Bouton, he to give one gander and two geese to John Betts' wife; my three gr. children Thomas Bouton, Richard Bouton and mary Morehouse land at "Compow in Fairfield": my gr. children Mary Hyes, Ruth Bouton, and Gabriel Morehouse. 
BOUTON, John Sr (I07311)
 
336 "History and Genealogy of the Familes of Old Fairfield": Married about 1665, ? Moore, dau. of Isaac of Farmington. He had one child in the 1672 list. His widow Elizabeth d. at Norwalk, 3 Nov. 1729. Perhaps she was a second wife and widow of James Pickett of Danbury; unless indeed the widow Elizabeth Pickett m. his bro. Nathaniel; but since Nathaniel did not name a wife in his will 1705, and this woman was living 1711, that supposition is less likely, unless indeed Nathaniel had a pre-nuptial contract with her and in consequence omitted to mention her in his will. HAYES, Samuel (I28058)
 
337 "History and Genealogy of the Familes of Old Fairfield": Married (1) Esther Thompson, dau. of John, b. about1654.
Married (2) Esther, widow of Nathaniel Perry, and dau. of Richard Lyon. When common lands were set out to the heirs of Richard Lyon, Sr., 10 Mar. 1723/4, Esther's portion was set to her three Perry children and to Samuel Grumman "a representative of his mother Eshter." This proves that Samuel was the only surviving child of Esther Lyon; as there is proof that eldest son John was by the first wife, she must have been mother of the other children unless there was an intervening unknown wife between Esther Thompson and Esther Lyon
"Hester Groment", aged 34, testified 1692 in the Disbrow witch trial; this was the second wife.
Inv. 20 May 1695; left a widow, four sons and a dau. On 13 Feb. 1701, John Gruman represented to the Court that his uncle Sergt. John Thompson together with Ezekiel Sanford were adm'rs of the Est. of his father John. Joseph, son of John, was of age to receive his portion, 30 Nov. 1709. On 23 May 1710, John Gruman (who had succeeded Thompson and Sanford as adm'r), made a division with the consent of Joseph Gruman, Ezekiel sanford in behalf of Thomas Gruman, David Sherman in behalf of Samuel Gruman, "my sister Abigail having received her portion." 
GRUMMAN, John (I26505)
 
338 "History and Genealogy of the Families of Old Fairfeld": Colonial grant of 200 acres, Oct. 1674.
His mother, Eglin, was sister of Timothy Hatherly, the founder of Scituate, and came over in 1634, ae. 46, with her daus. Lettice (who m. 8 apr. 1635, Edward Foster) and Margaret (who m. 1636, Isaac Robinson). Thomas appears to have come later, perhaps after completing his education, and was in Scituate by 1643; taught school in Roxbury, Mass., freeman of Mass., 1650, and soon after settled in Norwalk. 
HANFORD, Rev Thomas (I27225)
 
339 "History and genealogy of the Families of Old Fairfield" lists Thomas Pickett as the son of John, Sr. who d. apr 11, 1684. PICKETT, Thomas (I44251)
 
340 "History and Genealogy of the Families of Old Fairfield" shows that John Olmstead is the son of Richard. OLMSTEAD, John (I41944)
 
341 "History and Genealogy of the Families of Old Fairfield": Gregory, Henry
William Gregory of Nottingham, Eng., Gent., in his will 18 June 1650, proved 5 Feb 1651, gave a legacy to his bro. Henry Gregory, and L5 to each of Henry's cildren, except L10 to "my cousin Perrie, my said brother Henry's daughter", they being now in New England (but apparently the last statement does not apply to Cousin Perrie).
He was of Springfield by 1643. A shoemaker, of Stratford, his workmanship was complained of 1647; he was spokjen of as an old man, and his sons John and Judah and dau. the wife of William Crooker testified. Died at Stratford in 1655.
Inv. 19 June 1655, taken by John Welles and Thomas Fairchild. Eldest son John, and other children (not named). 
GREGORY, Henry (I26108)
 
342 "History and Genealogy of the Families of Old Fairfield": Odell, William
He came from Newport, co. Buckingham, England. Statements that he was a member of the Wodhull family of Thenford, co. Northampton, are absurdly irrelevant.
Of Concord by 1639; rem. to Southampton, L.i., 1642; and later to Fairfield, whre a grant of land was recorded 8 Apr. 1660.
Will 6 June 1676; son William; gr. child Samuel Morehouse, son of dau. Rebecca, and his brothers Thomas and john Morehouse; gr. child John Odell, son of John; to Goody Knap, four yards of new red cloth; dau.-in-law Mary Odell; son John Odell and dau. Rebecca Morehouse; son-in-law Samuel Morehouse and son John Odell, Exec'rs. Inv. 12 June 1676. 
ODELL, William (I41831)
 
343 "History and Genealogy of the Families of Old Fairfield":
Jackson, Henry - Came from London aged 29 on "Elizabeth and Ann", 1635; settled first in Watertown, Mass., where he was a lessee of fishing rights. Rem. to Fairfield, where he made an agreement with the town about the tide mill, 2 Feb. 1648; and sold the mill to Thomas Morehouse, 1653.
He bought land in Fairfield, 16 June 1650, from Thomas Wheeler, Jr.
Will 11 Nov 1682, proved 22 Sept. 1686; son Moses, house at "Poquanocke"; son Samuel already had land; gr. child Moses Jackson, land at Compo; son John; gr. child Samuel jackson; wife; the old negro woman; sons John, Moses, and Samuel, and dau. hannah; Maj. Nathan Gold and Mr. Josiah Harvey, overseers; portion due to Est. of my son Joseph per her father Godwin's will; five children of son Joseph. Inv. 21 June 1686.
Adm'n was granted, 13 Jan. 1718/19, to the gr. sons John and Robert Jackson, on undivided lands belonging to the Est. of Henry Jackson; distribution ordered to the legal representatives of the ons, John (eldest) Moses, Samuel, and Joseph. Distribution, dated Stratfield, 3 Jan. 1720; heirs of John jackson, viz. Moses and John Jackson, and Susanna Lyon; heirs of Moses Jackson, viz. Robert Jackson and Deborah Smith; heirs of Samuel Jackson, viz. Daniel, Jonathan, Ebenzer, and Gariel Jackson, Hannah Jennings, Deborah Fairchild, Rachel Lyon, and Abigail; and Sarah wife of John Bartram. 
JACKSON, Henry (I31952)
 
344 "History and Genealogy of the Families of Old Fairfield":
Sanford, Andrew - Brother of Thomas, he was bapt. at Stanstead mountfitchet, co. Essex, 1 Nov. 1617, and d. at Milford in 1684. He settled in Hartford, where his uncle Andrew Warner lived; freeman, May 1657. His first wife, mary, was indicted with him for witchcraft; she was convicted, 13 June 1662, and presumably executed.
He rem. to Milford 1667, and had a second wife of whom not even her given name has been learned, with whom he joined the church in 1671. The younger children belonged to the second wife, and five were bapt. together at Milford in 1671.
Much light on this family is shed by the (as yet) unpublished Wingthrop documents. As a physician, in 1661, he treated the Sanford children and specified thei ages as follows: Andrew, above 16 years., Mary 14 1/2, Elizabeth 13, and Ezekiel 6. Later in same year he noted the youngest dau. (ae) 14 of Andrew Sanford, pumpmaker, which is important in indicating that Andrew's daus. hannah, martha, etc., were born after 1661, and hence were by the second wife. Again in 1663, Winthrop noted Andrew (ae. 20) son of Andrew of Hartford. 
SANFORD, Andrew (I48051)
 
345 "History and Genealogy of the Families of Old Fairfield":
Sanford, Thomas - Born about 1608, son of Ezekiel (bapt. at Much Hadham, co. Herts, 20 Feb. 1585-1586 and ? (Warner) Sanford and nephew of Andrew Warner the emigrant. The fmaily lived in Hatfield Broad Oak and Stanstead Mountfitchet, co. Essex, England.
Of Dorchester, 1634-40; rem. to milford, where he was adm. to the church, 9 Jan. 1641/2.
His wife Sarah was adm. to milford church 15 Dec. 1642, and d. 14 May 1681, he dying the following Autumn.
Will 23 Sept 1681; eldest son Ezekiel; sons Thomas, Ephraim, Samuel daus. Sarah wife of Richard Shute of Eastchester, and Elizabeth wife of Obadiah Allyn of Middletown; gr. children Sarah Shute and Thomas Allyn; Sarah Whitlock that was his maid. Inv. 21 Oct. 1681. 
SANFORD, Thomas (I48084)
 
346 "History and Genealogy of the Families of Old Fairfield":
Wakelee, heny (s. of James ?). Colonial grant of 50 acres, May 1669, doubtless for service in Pequot War (1637). Granted 200 acres, May 1681, for service to the Colony in or about Mattebeseck (Waterbury) (not laid out until 1726, and then assigned by James, son of Henry, to Benjamin Fairweather of Stratfield).
Res. Hartford, but removed early to Stratford. Hs wervice at Mattebeseck prob. reers to a punitive expedition of 100 men sent out in Aug. 1639, as a sequel to the Pequot War.
Married 4 Sept. 1649, Sarah, widow of Judah Gregory, and dau. of Henry Burt of Springfield. He was granted admn, 15 May 1650, on the "Estate of his wive's other husband."
Will 11 July 1689, codicil 5 Apr. 1690, exhibited 8 Nov. 1690; wife Sarah; sons Delivernce, James, Jacob; daus. Patience and Abigail (single); to Thomas Lattin, five sheep; to Elizabeth Squire, a cow; to dau. Mary Stevens, a cow; to "Henry Sumers yt Lives with me besides what I have Given: A Cow." Witnessess: Zechariah Fairchild, Samuel Preston. 
WAKELEE, Henry (I58859)
 
347 "History and Genealogy of the Families of Old Fairfield": An early settler of hartford; fined for a trivial offense, he left Hartford in 1650 and settled in Fairfield.
Married at hartford, 22 Dec. 1647, Mary Williams. She m. (2) at Fairfield, 16 Dec. 1680, George Slawson, of Stamford; with whom she made a marriage covenant dated 18 Nov. 1680.
Will 25 Feb. 1674/5; to son Joshua, my carpenter, joiner, wheelwright and turning tools; to rest of my sons, Joseph, Michael, John, Samuel, Matthew, and Isaac, and to my daus. Mary and Elizabeth, 20 shillings apiece; to wife Mary, residue, housing, lands, chattels, etc.; friend Major Gold and Mr. Wakeman to be helpful to my wife; witnesses, Josiah harvey, Mary Staples. Inv. 27 Nov. 1675. 
JENNINGS, Joshua (I32133)
 
348 "History and Genealogy of the Families of Old Fairfield": Born abt. 1593, co. Northampton; matriculated sizar from Queens College, Cambridge, Michalemas 1608, as John "Johnes"; B.A., 1612/3; M.A., 1616; ordained deacon at Peterboro, 19 Dec. 1613; prob. Rector of Abbot's Ripton, co. Huntington, 1619-1630, when he was deprived.
Sailed 1635 on "Defence" with (wife) Sarah ae. 34, and (children) Sarah 15, John 11, ruth 7, theophilus 3 Rebecca 2, Elizabeth 6 mos. Mather tells of a dangerous crossing, the ship springing a leak in the first storm.
He settled at Concord, Mass., with Rev. Peter Bulkeley, after being entertained upon arrival by Gov. Winthrop in his Boston house. Ordained pater at Concord, 6 Apr. 1637; removed with other Concord settlers to Fairfield, 1644.
Married (1) Sarah ?, b. about. 1601.
Married (2) after 1654, Susanna ?, b. about 1605, perhaps widow of Richard Hollingsworth of Salem. Winthrop in 1663 notes Mary "Holsworth", ae. 26 years, dau. of the wife of Mr. Jones, Pastor of Fairfield. Susanna's dau. Mercy m. (2) a Nichols and (2) Thomas Disbrow, and was tried for witchcraft in 1692.
Will 17 Jan. 1664/5; wife Susanna, Exec'x, L50 he promised her; he owed the heirs of Capt. Cullick L7; children John Jones Eliphalet Jones, Sarah Wilson, Widow, Ruth James, Rebecca Hull, Elizabeth Hll; Mr. Gold and Mr. Pell, overseers.
Inv. 9 Feb 1664/5. 
JONES, Rev. John (I32405)
 
349 "History and Genealogy of the Families of Old Fairfield": Brought to America by his uncle James, in 1632, he ettled in Cambridge, Mass., and in 1636 removed to hartford. In 1646 he was Constable, and fence-viewer in 1649. About 1650 he removed to Norwalk.
He m. (1) ?; (2) ?, prob. wid. of Thomas Smith.
Will 30 Sept. 1684; aged 76 yrs. or thereabout.. 
OLMSTEAD, Richard (I41956)
 
350 "History and genealogy of the Families of Old Fairfield": colonial grant of 80 acres, May 1671, for service in Pequot War.
Came to Hingham, Mass., 1635; rem. to Windsor with first settlers and moved to Fairfield by 1652. He settled in Westchestr, NY by 1682, and d. there abt. 1685.
At New Haven, he signed the Fundamental Agreement, June 1639, and took the oath of allegiance, 1644; had three in his famly, 1641; sold his property there in Apr. and May 1652.
On 26 May 1674 he gave land in Fairfield to his dau. Priscilla wife of Cornelius Seeley; and it was recorded, 25 Nov. 1678, that Thomas Bedient had land by gift from his father-in-law, Capt. Richard Osborn.
On 27 Oct. 1682, being of Westchester, he gave his Fairfield lands to his son John, who was to pay L1 apiece to the eldest dau.'s five children, L2 apiece to dau. Priscilla's two sons and L1 apiece to her two daus., L1 apiece to dau. Sarah's seven children, L1 apiece to dau. Mry's three children, and to dau. Elizabeth, L50. (Fairfield Deeds)
His first wife, mother of his children, is not known. On 12 June 1677 he appears in Westchester records as husband of Mary, widow of Roger Townsend. She had previously been widow of Mordecai Bedient.... 
OSBORN, Richard (I42157)
 

      «Prev «1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 219» Next»