1696 - 1787 (91 years)
||Nathaniel SLOSSON [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9] |
||Bedford, Westchester, New York, USA [2, 3, 8]
|Also Known As
||Nathaniel Slauson |
||Between 1776 and 1780 
|Tax Collector, Kent, Conn. |
||08 Mar 1787
||Kent, Litchfield, Connecticut, USA [2, 3, 8, 10, 11, 12]
||Good Hill Cemetery, Kent, Connecticut 
- Born probably at Bedford, Westchester County, NY. Moved to Stamford Connecticut with his parents about 1697. First to use name SLOSSON, although he was referred to a SLASON, SLAWSON and SLASSON. He was left a full orphan in 1706 and removed to Deerfield, Franklin County, Mass. Raised by his mother's relative. After his marriage to Margaret Belding they resided at Norwalk until 1739, when they became part of the original group of settlers at Kent, Litchfield County, Connecticut. Interred in the family cemetery at Kent. He bought nine acres of land at Captain's Plain, in Norwalk, Conn., Feb. 24, 1720-1721; and five acres at Kent, in Norwalk, March 1, 1720-1721; and in each deed was described as of "Deerfield, Mass." He probable began his residence in Norwalk directly after buying the land; for he was called "of Norwalk," Nov. 16, 1721, when Samuel Belden gave him a deed of all of said Belden's right in the undivided lands in Norwalk, "in consideration of the love and good will which I have and do bear toward my loving cousin, Nathaniel Slawson of said Norwalk." He was chosen constable of Kent, Dec. 4, 1739; the town meeting was held at his house Sept. 1, 1740; and in 1744, he was a lister, and his own estate was valued at L55 10S. They joined the church in Kent, July 12, 1711.[Slosson 11-20-00 Greene.FTW]
Moved to Stamford, CT with his parents about 1697. He was left a full orphan in 1706, and removed to Deerfield Franklyn Co., MA, where he was raised by his Mother's relatives. About 1717 or 1718 he returned to Connecticut, and resided in Norwalk, Fairfield County. Married 11 December 1719 at Deerfield to Margret Belding. They resided at Norwalk, mostly in the portion known as Wilton until 1739, when they became part of a group of original settlers at Kent, Litchfield County, Connecticut. He died 8 Mar 1787. They are interred in the family cemetery at Kent, CT.
Nathaniel, after being orphaned, was brought up by Daniel Belding (1648-1731), who was undoubtedly related to his Mother. This is further substantiated by the fact that Daniel Belding had a sister, Susanna, and was therefore in all probability Nathaniel's uncle. Daniel Belding's son was William Belding, who married Margaret Arms, and their eldest child was Margaret Belding, who married Nathaniel. Nathaniel and his wife were, therefore, first cousins, once removed.
With Nathaniel, the SLOSSON spelling of the name is first used, with the
exception of his eldest children (daughters), all the dedcendents of Nathaniel
have used this spelling. His father's (Eleazer's) will mentioning him by name,
was proved under the name SLASON. His marriage record, on file in Deerfield,
gives his name as SLASSON. When he returned from Deerfield to Norwalk with his bride he purchased land on 1 Feb 1720/1 and made a further purchase on 1 Mar 1729/1. In both these deeds he was "NATHANIEL SLASON". On 16 Nov 1721, Samuel Belden (Belding) (for differences of spelling of this name see notes for Eleazer Slason) presented him with a deed for rights in land "in consideration of the love and good will I have and do bear toward my cousin, Nathaniel Slawson, of said Norwalk". This is particularly interesting for two reasons: first; the reference to his "cousin". Previous genealogist, failing to have the connection between Nathaniel's mother and the Belding family, interpred this to mean "cousin" as a result of his marriage to Margaret Belding. Actually, Samuel meant what he stated when he said "cousin", and it is somewhat far reasoning for him to be guilty of publicly stating his "love" for a cousin-in-law. Nor did the donor say "Nathaniel Slawson, husband of my cousin, Margaret Slawson", which would be the usual phraseology in those days of meticulous accuracy as attested by the many documents so worded that are on file for other families, as well as other branches of this family. On close scrutiny, there seems to be no question that Samuel Belden (Belding) was acknowledging the blood relation existing between himself and Nathaniel Slawson.
He bought 9 acres of land at Captain's Plain in Norwalk in 1720 or 1721, 5 acres in Kent; and on 11 Jun 1722 two parcels of land on E side of the E branch of Pimpsewaug River at Pimpsewaug, Norwalk, and on 14 Aug 1729, 1 1/2 acres from his father-in-law, William Belding adjoining his homestead in the Parish of Wilton which included the districts of Kent and Pimpsewaug, CT.
He and Margaret were members of the church at Wilton at the ordination of Rev. Wm. Gaylord 13 Feb 1732-3.
In the first division of lands at Kent in May, 1738, he drew lot #21 about 3
miles NE of Kent village, in the district called Flanders; and tradition says he
settled thereon about 1 Nov 1739. He was chosen constable of Kent 4 Dec 17339.
They joined the church at Kent 12 Jul 1741.
"George Slawson: An American Pioneer" by Harold D. Slosson - Born in Bedford, raised in Deerfield, Mass.; he moved in 1720 to Wilton and Norwalk, Conn.; next in 1739, becoming one of the original shareholders of Kent, Conn.
||10 Sep 2017 |
||Eleazer SLAWSON, b. 09 Feb 1643, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA , d. May 1698, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA (Age 55 years) |
||Susanna BELDING, b. 05 Nov 1651, Wethersfield, Hartford, Connecticut, USA , d. 1706, Stamford, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA (Age 54 years) |
||Bedford, Westchester, New York [2, 3, 13]
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Margaret BELDEN, b. 10 Feb 1701, Deerfield, Franklin, Massachusetts, USA , d. 14 Apr 1780, Kent, Litchfield, Connecticut, USA (Age 79 years) |
||11 Dec 1719
||Deerfield, Franklin, Massachusetts, USA [3, 9, 14]
| ||1. Eleazer SLOSSON, b. 02 May 1737, Kent, Litchfield, Connecticut, USA , d. Aft 1790, Grand Isle, Vermont, USA (Age > 54 years) [Birth]|
| ||2. Susanna SLOSSON, b. Abt 1727, Wilton, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA [Natural]|
| ||3. Nathan SLOSSON, b. 30 Jan 1739, Kent, Litchfield, Connecticut, USA , d. 05 Oct 1821, Kent, Litchfield, Connecticut, USA (Age 82 years) [Birth]|
| ||4. John SLOSSON, b. Abt 1737, Bolton, Tolland, Connecticut, USA , d. Between 1799 and 1800, Lisle, Broome, New York, USA (Age ~ 62 years) [Birth]|
| ||5. Enoch SLOSSON, b. 13 Aug 1733, Wilton, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA , d. 21 Feb 1827, Newark Valley, Tioga, New York, USA (Age 93 years)|
| ||6. Betty SLOSSON, b. 1744, Kent, Litchfield, Connecticut, USA , d. Abt 1746 (Age 2 years) [Natural] [Unknown]|
| ||7. Prudence SLOSSON, b. Abt 1723, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA , d. 1782, New York, USA (Age ~ 59 years) [Natural] [Unknown]|
| ||8. Daniel SLOSSON, b. Abt 1729, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA , d. 27 Feb 1805, Richmond, Berkshire, Massachusetts, USA (Age ~ 76 years)|
| ||9. Abigail SLOSSON, b. Abt 1726, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA , d. Jan 1813, Kent, Litchfield, Connecticut, USA (Age ~ 87 years) [Natural] [Unknown]|
|+||10. Mary SLAWSON, b. 06 Aug 1721, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA , d. 14 Dec 1817, Greenfield, Greene County, New York (Age 96 years) [Natural] [Unknown]|
| ||11. Elijah SLOSSON, b. 10 May 1735, Kent, Litchfield, Connecticut, USA , d. 27 Oct 1809, New Lebanon, Columbia, New York, USA (Age 74 years) [Natural]|
| ||12. Sarah SLOSSON, b. 24 Mar 1741, Kent, Litchfield, Connecticut, USA [Natural]|
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
|Born - 1696 - Bedford, Westchester, New York, USA
|Married - 11 Dec 1719 - Deerfield, Franklin, Massachusetts, USA
|Died - 08 Mar 1787 - Kent, Litchfield, Connecticut, USA
|Buried - - Good Hill Cemetery, Kent, Connecticut
- [S01649] A Genealogical Memoir of Nathaniel Slosson of Kent & His Descendants, 1696-1872.
- [S03336] Slason-Slauson-Slawson-Slosson Family by George C. Slawson dated 1946.
- [S03338] Slosson 11-20-00 Greene.FTW.
Date of Import: Jan 6, 2001
- [S02422] History and Genealogy of the Families of Old Fairfield, Vol. l by genealogy.com.
- [S00025] "Descendants of George Slawson" Fairfield Co., Connecticut by Rootsweb.
- [S00043] "Descendants of Richard Slawson from familytreemaker".
- [S03440] The Compendium of American Genealogy, 1600s-1800s; Vol. V, Lineage Records.
- [S02586] Local and Family Histories: CT, 1600s-1800s: The Families of Old Fairfield, Vol 1.
- [S00084] "The Descendants of Nathaniel Foote Sr. & Elizabeth Deming" Compiled by Ellwood Count Curtis.
- [S01855] Barbour Index - Kent Vital Records 1739-1852.
- [S02394] Good Hill Cemetery Records in Kent, Connecticut.
- [S03415] The Barbour Collection of Connecticut Town Vital Records: Huntington, Kent and Killingly.
- [S4918] Connecticut Ancestry 2008 May Vol. 50 No. 4.
- [S03335] Skinner, William: Bible.