1629 - 1689 (60 years)
||Josiah ELLSWORTH [1, 2, 3, 4] |
||Son of John Ellsworth and Lucia Bower 
||20 Aug 1689
||Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, USA [2, 5, 6]
- Excerpt from "Our Ellsworth Ancestors": Josiah came to America in about 1646, at the age of seventeen. He made his home in Windsor, Connecticut. he was made a "Freeman" by court order, 21 May 1657. Previous to his marriage Josiah purchased property from Alex Alford (19 March 1654). He and his family lived at this place until it was sold to Cornelius Gillet in 1658 at the time Josiah purchased a lot fro William Phelps. Several years later, in 1664 or 1665, Josiah purchased from Joanna Davison the property which has coe to be known as the "Ellsworth Homestead." The place, also known as "Elmwood," was deeded in 1903 by the heirs of Chief Justice Oliver Ellsworth to the connecticut Daughters of the American Revolution, wh maintain the property as a colonial historical landmark and a museum of revolutionary relics....
Josiah served frequently as a juror, according to the records of the Secretary of State, at Hartford. He served in other public offices of trust, which attest the character of the man. Josiah was the owner of thirteen different peces of land, totaling about two thousand acres. One of the three fort palisades at Windsor was known as the ELLSWORTH FORT. At this place women and chuldren sought refuge from possible Indian attacks. At the tie of his death, 20 August, 1689, att the age of sixty, Josiah was considered to be in the upper group financially. His will, probated 11 November, 1689, listed his property at about $3000. Judging fron the inventory of th estate, Josiah may have been a weaver.....
The wife of Josiah Ellsworth was ELIZABETH HOLCOMB. She was born in 1634 in Dorchester, Massachusetts, the daughter of Thomas Holcomb and Elizabeth Ferguson.
Thomas Holcomb, the father of Elizabeth, was one of a company of one hundred forty Puritans who, in march of 1630, assembled at the hospital at Plymouth, Devon County, Englandm for the purpose of developing plans for their voyage to America. they chartered a 400 ton ship, the Mary and John, and soon set sail. After sailing for seventy days the group arrived 30 May, 1630 at Nantasket, Massachusetts. The party possibly settled just south of Boston. They named the area Dorchester. It was later incorporated into greater Boston.
Thomas married ELIZABETH FERGUSON, a widow, in 1632. thomas was made a freeman 14 March, 1634. Within a few years - 1635-1636 - Thomas Holcomb, with sixty other people, settled Windsor, Hartford County, Connecticut. he sold his Dorchester property 12 Auagust, 1635. Thomas represented hartford County, in framing the constitution of the Colony of Connecticut. Thomas died 7 September 1657, age 57 years.....
||10 Jan 2018 |
||Elizabeth HOLCOMBE, b. 1634, Prob. Dorchester, Massachusetts , d. 18 Sep 1712, Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, USA (Age 78 years) |
||16 Nov 1654
||Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, USA [2, 3]
| ||1. Martha ELLSWORTH, b. 07 Dec 1662, Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, USA [Natural]|
| ||2. Job ELLSWORTH, b. 13 Apr 1674, Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, USA , d. 29 Sep 1751 (Age 77 years) [Natural]|
| ||3. Josiah ELLSWORTH, b. 05 Nov 1655, Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, USA , d. 04 May 1706 (Age 50 years)|
| ||4. Jonathan ELLSWORTH, b. 28 Jun 1669, Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, USA , d. 13 Sep 1749 (Age 80 years) [Natural]|
| ||5. John ELLSWORTH, b. 07 Oct 1671, Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, USA , d. 26 Oct 1720, Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, USA (Age 49 years) [Natural]|
| ||6. Mary ELLSWORTH, b. 07 May 1660, Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, USA , d. Bef 1715, Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, USA (Age < 54 years) [Natural]|
| ||7. Elizabeth ELLSWORTH, b. 11 Nov 1657, Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, USA , d. 1743 (Age 85 years) [Birth]|
| ||8. Thomas ELLSWORTH, b. 02 Sep 1665, Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, USA , d. 26 Sep 1750, Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, USA (Age 85 years) [Natural]|
| ||9. Benjamin ELLSWORTH, b. 19 Jan 1677, Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, USA , d. 14 Apr 1690, Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut, USA (Age 13 years) [Natural]|
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S00036] "Descendants of Joseph Loomis" by Bob Saftenberg.
- [S00096] "Thomas Holcombe of Connecticut", James Hallowell Holcombe Jr.
- [S03320] Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England, Vol. 2, James Savage.
- [S00070] "Our Ellsworth Ancestors", German E. Ellsworth and Mary Smith Ellsworth & John Orval Ellsworth, Ph.D., (Name: Name: The First Handcart Company 1856;;).
- [S03434] The Barbour Collection of Connecticut Town Vital Records: Windsor.
- [S02352] Genealogical Dictionary of The First Settlers of New England, James Savage, (Name: Name: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc;;).