Matches 9,001 to 9,050 of 9,709
|| Linked to
||They had two sons and three daughters. He was summoned to Parliament from 19 Aug 1399 by writs directed 'Johanni Darcy'. John Darcy, Lord Darcy, died testate on 9 Dec 1411 (will dated at his manor of Temple Hurst on 2 Aug. 1411, proved 18 Feb 1411/2) ||DARCY, John (I81045)
||They had two sons and two daughters. He was summoned to Parliament from 9 Aug 1529 by writs directed 'Christofero domino Conyers chivaler'. ||CONYERS, Christopher Knt. (I89916)
||They had two sons. Sir John Grey was slain, on the Lancastrian side, at the second battle of St. Albans on 17 Feb. 1460/1. His widow was married secretly for the second time at her father's manor of Grafton regis, co. Northampton, on 1 May 1464 to EDWARD IV OF ENGLAND, King of England. They had ten children. She w2as crowned at Westminster on 26 May 1465. She died tesate at Bermondsey Abbey, Surrey, where for some time she had resided, or had been compelled by King Henry VII to reside, on 7 or 8 June 1492, and was buried at St. George's Chapel, Windsor, co. Berks, with the King, her second husband. ||GREY, John Knt. (I26164)
||They lived at Groton, Conn., and Mary was living as late as March 31, 1796, when she signed a deed. ||WALWORTH, Mary (I59117)
||They lived at Little River, Kingston where he was a farmer. They were admitted to the church 1 Apr. 1738 (Ki.Ch.rec.). Administration of his estate was granted his widow 25 Jan. 1754 (35 NHSP 14). Five of their children were then under 10 years of age. ||JUDKINS, Joel (I77232)
||They lived at Old Noank on the farm where Elijah's grandfather, William, of Fisher's Island, settled when he removed from Fisher's Island. Elijah is buried in the "Flander's Cemetery". This is the Walworth private burying ground, a large walled lot of fully one acre, located on the Flander Road, Groton, Conn. After his death, his widow married Mr. Rathbun. ||WALWORTH, Elijah (I59107)
||They lived for a time in Sharon, where he owned the farm which lies next west of the present golf course of the Sharon Country Club. In 1844 he moved to Michigan, then considered the frontier, but died in the following year, July 20, 1845. ||REED, Horace (I86798)
||They lived on the Long Highway near Quicksand Pond and near the end at the south of the highway, later the Frederick Brownell place. there is a cemetery there but his stone has not been located. His estate wad administered by his son James Brownell 5 Dec. 1780 in Little Compton. |
The will of Mary Brownell, widow of Richard Brownell, made 14 Sept. 1812 and porved April 8, 1817: "Mary Brownell...being infirm in body ...to Hannah Brownell, widow of my son James, deceased, my brass kettle and round table. to grandson Wilbor Brownell, son of my son James, 1 silver spoon. to granddaughter Deborah Brownell, daughter of James, 1 suite of little white curtains and six pewter plates. To grandson Elias Brownell, son of James, the rest and residue."
|BROWNELL, Richard (I70908)
||They removed early to Pawling Township, duchess Co., New York, and thence, previous to the year 1790 (?), to Easton Township, Washington Co., NY, where he purchased land as late as the year 1800. Soon after this date they removed to Northampton Township, Fulton County, then part of Montgomery County, where he purchased land 20 November, 1806, near the farm of his son Joseph, one-half mile east of the village of Northville. His will was dated 26 August, 1826, and was proved at Johnstown 11 December, 1826. He died of apoplexy and was buried in the Ridge Road Cemetery, one mile southeast of Northville, NY. His widow died at the house of their son Eleazer in Otisco Township, Onondaga Co., NY in August, 1929 (?). ||SLOCUM, Eleazer (I79706)
||They removed to Granville, NY, and to Tioga Co., Pennsylvania.|
He was a Revolutionary soldier.
|LEETE, Solomon (I73087)
||They resided at Leete's Island first, then went to Verona, NY. The land that he settled upon there still remains in the possession of his descendants, and the house which he built is now used as a granary. ||LEETE, Noah (I73071)
||They resided in East Greenwich in 1774 with a household numbering six heads. He was a soldier from Warwick in the Revolutionary War, a member of Captain Millard's company in 1776 and '77 for militia service, and service at Ticonderoga. He purchased land in Warwick, of John Allen 27 January, 1780, and sold it 18 February, 1794. they removed westward soon after the last date, and finally settled in Burlington, now Edmeston Township, Otsego Co., New York, where they died - he, about the year 1825; she, about 1836, and were buried in Taylor Hill Cemetery. He was a carpenter. ||SLOCUM, Thomas (I79710)
||They resided in Guilford and had no children.|
He was an eccentric and somewhat original character. he called people by their Christian names. Rev. Aaron Dutton, his minister, he addressed as Aaron, and spoke of him in the same way. He avoided titles and surnames. Although a member of the First Church of Guilford, in the last years of his life, instead of attending church he had services of his own, and during the hours of public worship on Sunday would go through the forms of singing, prayer and preaching in his own house with only his wife for his audience. The next day he would speak of his interview with Luke, John or Paul.
|LEETE, Thomas (I73089)
||They settled at Canterbury, Conn., where James was baptized and admitted to the church 14 Dec 1712 and his wife Mary was baptized and admitted to the church 11 Jan. 1713. On 15 Jan 1715 Jabez Utter of Mortlake, New London, Conn., for love of his son in law James Hyde, conveys to him land in Canterbury. On 24 Mar 1741 James Hide of Canterbury, for love of his son Abraham, conveys to him a small dwelling house in Canterbury where mother in law Abigail Hide now lives. On 13 Mar 1745 Richard Fenner of Providence, RI conveys to James Hide of Canterbury all title in land in Canterbury which said James Hide conveyed to him in a deed dated 29 Apr 1743, with a two-sixth right to land expressed in said deed, which two-sixth right descend from Joseph Perran (Perham) and wife Dorothy and Isaac Farwell and wife Elizabeth. ||HYDE, James (I31657)
||They settled at Cutchogue, Long Island. He was accepted as a freeman of Conn., 1664. Land deeded to him by S. King the same year. In 1670 he is rated for 30 acres of land, 37 cattle, 5 horses, L282, and in 1683 his valuation was L350. In 1686 he has four males and six females in his family. His wife died in 1702. he married second Esther (?), who was living 1699. ||HORTON, Caleb (I75818)
||They settled at Norwalk where he owned land jointly with his brother Matthew Bouton, which according to town records, he sold Jan. 25, 1693, to Mercy Lockwood, widow of Ephraim Lockwood. The town records of Danbury contains records of his conveyance of lands at that place, and the records of New Canaan state that he, together with John Jr., Nathaniel, Daniel and Eleazar, were among the constituents of the Society of New Canaan. ||BOUTON, John Jr. (I07312)
||They settled in Pound Ridge, NY, where, and in the vicinity of which, he spent his life and died at Norwalk, Ct., April 29, 1883, at the advanced age of eighty-three years, two months and eighteen days. He was a most earnest and devoted member of the M.E. church and was much respected for his piety. ||BOUTON, Thomas Burr (I76586)
||They were the parents of fourteen children only six of whom lived to marry, and only one of whom outlived the parents. ||LEETE, Asa (I73114)
||Things were not easy for Prudence the first years after arriving at the log cabin. She was a very courageous pioneer woman. The Indians really pestered her and there were many of them living near the cabin. Every time taht she baked bread, the Pottowatomies whose sense of smell was keen, would come in flocks to get a handout as soon as the bread was taken out of the oven. They also liked cooked meat of chickens and enjoyed running down the biggest and the fattest of the flock. Many wore the Indian artifacts the Padelford family collected in those early days and throughout the years. ||POUND, Prudence (I45210)
||This Henry Bodwell was the great-grandfather of the late Joseph Robinson Bodwell, Governor of Maine, who died in Augusta, December 15, 1887. ||BODWELL, Henry Jr (I06757)
||This stillborn daughter was delivered on 10 Feb 1896 to Joshua Lee Grubaugh and Nora Mary Henry. Not only did the child die, but Nora, herself, died on 11 Feb 1896 from complications related to the childbirth. This child was the 12th and, obviously, the last child born to Joshua Lee and Nora Mary. |
From Find A Grave:
Created by: Richard Holmes
|GRUBAUGH, Daughter (I80156)
||This well known resident of Shrub Oak came to Peekskill on Thursday and transacted considerable business. Early in the afternoon he started to return home, riding on a load of lumber. When near the creek on Main Street, west of the Beecher house, he was observed to pitch forward and fall from the wagon to the hard ground. Parties who saw him fall immediately went to his assistance, and he was removed to the store nearby, and Dr. P. H. Mason called as quickly as possible, but he could only announce that the man was dead, that he had been attacked with apoplexy and was unconscious when he fell from the wagon. There was a flesh wound on the side of the face where it had struck the ground, but no fracture of the skull nor dislocation of the neck, although the first rumors were that the unfortunate gentleman had been thrown from his wagon and his neck broken. Coroner Hyatt was notified and held an inquest in the early evening, a verdict of death from apoplexy being rendered.|
Mr. Slawson was about 65 years of age, and leaves a family of two sons and one daughter. His wife died a year or two ago. He has resided at Shrub Oak some eight or ten years, pursuing the occupation of a farmer. For many years he was the proprietor of the Slawson house at Lake Mahopac, Putnam county, in the days when that place was a famous boarding resort. For forty-five years he was a consistent church member, and was highly respected in the community in which he lived.
Source: The Democrat, Jan. 7, 1882 (Peekskill, New York)
|SLAWSON, Seeley (I52268)
||Thomas and Clarissa settled in the Town of Chazy, NY and had at least 14 children.[Slosson 11-20-00 Greene.FTW]|
Thomas's brothers, David and William settled in Chazy, NY, afer 1804, but only
William's descendents seem to have remained in the area. William Slosson was
one of the first settlers going north on the old state road in 1807. The
Slosson cemetery, in use in 1826, is on the east side of old state road - 75
Excerpt from Chazy Historian: "Thomas is likely the first to have settled here, no date has been ascertained but the genealogy states that all his fifteen children were born in Chazy, the dates of the first seven not given, the eight born in 1810. He was the fifth child of Eleazer born in Addison, VT. 1772 and married Clarissa Belden of Troy NY where she died in 1865 and he died in Aurora, Ill. in 1870. At least three of his children died young, nine went to Aurora, Ill. to live, Julius settled in Mooers and Daniel, several years after his marriage went to Aurora."
|SLOSSON, Thomas (I53089)
||Thomas and Hepzibah had 8 children. ||WELLS, Lieut. Thomas III (I60328)
||Thomas and his wife Isabell resided at Newbownee, Suffolk Co., England. The sailed on the Ship "Lion" on June 22, 1632, and arrived in Boston on September 16, 1632. (Information given by Rhonda Hansch) ||UFFORD, Thomas (I57962)
||Thomas and Jonathan Starr married sisters, Mary and Elizabeth Morgan, daughters of Capt. James Morgan. Samuel, the oldest son of Jonathan, removed to Norwich, and is the founder of the Norwich family of Starrs. Jonathan, the second son, was the ancestor of the present Jonathan Starr, Esq., of New London, and of the late Capt. Jared Starr. Richard, another brother of this family, removed to Hinsdale, Mass., and was one of the fathers of that new settlement, and a founder of its infant church.|
The descendants of Jonathan Starr have been remarkable for longevity,?eight of his children lived to be eighty, and most of them over eighty-five years of age. One of his daughters, Mrs. Turner, was one hundred years and seven months old. In the family of his son Jonathan, the father, mother, and four children averaged ninety years of age.
Title: History of New London county, Connecticut: with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men
Editor: Duane Hamilton Hurd
Publisher: J. W. Lewis & co., 1882
Captain Jonathan Starr son of Samuel Starr was born at New London February 23, 1673/74 and was a prominent man of his native town He was constable deputy to the general assembly I712-14 member of the governor's council I711-12, 13-16 sergeant of the militia 1712 ensign 1715 lieutenant and captain I716-27
Genealogical and Family History of the State of Connecticut: A ..., Volume 2
By William Richard Cutter, Edward Henry Clement, Samuel Hart, Mary Kingsbury Talcott, Frederick Bostwick, Ezra S. Stearns
American Marriages Before 1699 American Marriages Before 1699
Name: Jonathan Starr
Spouse: Elizabeth Morgan
Marriage Date: 12 Jan 1699
Marriage Place: New London, Conn.
Ancestry.com. American Marriages Before 1699 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA:
|STARR, Capt. Jonathan (I71303)
||Thomas Avery may have lived for a short time at Stonington, but most of his life was spent at New London, first on the east side of the river in what is now Groton, and later in the North Parish, now called Montville. May 12, 1681, he was made a freeman of New London; May, 1693, he was commissioned captain of the train band on the east side of the river, New London; in 1694, he was deputy to the general court.....|
Thomas Avery received his share of his grandfather's estate by deed from his father, James Avery, April 1, 1685, and three weeks later sold it to his brother, Samuel. He also owned other land in New London. He was in the King Philip war of 1675, and, for his services, had lot No. 10 of arable land and lot No. 154 of cedar swamp allotted to him in Voluntown. He was in the ill-fated Fitz-John Winthrop expedition of 1690 which was to advance from Albany by way of Lake Champlain to Montreal. In his diary, Winthrop gives an account of the difficulties that they encountered. under the date of Aug. 4, 1690, is found the following:
"I consulted with the officers & twas concluded to march forwards, & then devided our provition, wch was about 35 cakes of bread for each souldr, besides port, which was scarce eateavle. At this post (Saratoge) I left Liut Tho. Avery with some souldrs to gaurd our porvition to us wch was coming vp the river" (The Winthrop Papers, Massachusetts Hist. Col., Fifth Series, 8:314)"
For an account of this expedition, see Avery's HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES AND ITS PEOPLE, vol. 3, pages 263, 264.
The latter part of his life he lived near the Mohegan India reservation. On the 22d of June, 1720, Capt. Thomas Avery and his brother Capt. James Avery were appointed interpreters for the Mohegans in the suit then pending before the governor and council. In 1721, Caezer, the sachem of the Mohegans, conveyed to Thomas Avery 160 acres of land in consideration of the kindness shown them by Captain Avery and his family. Upon this land Thomas Avery lived; the house he built there is still standing. About ten years before his death, in consideration of love and good will and on account of the infirmities of age, he conveyed this land to his son, Abraham.
The last entry of accessions to the church of New London during Mr. Bradstreet's ministry reads: "Sept. 10, 1682, Thomas Avery and wife were added to the Church." They were among the organizers of the church of the North Parish, afterward called Montville. Their names appear first on the list of original covenanters. Before the North Parish could enjoy religious services, a long-standing quarrel had to be settled. October, 1721, the parish petitioned the general court for liberty to form a separate church. The first name on the petition was that of Thomas Avery, the third was that of Abraham Avery. (Connecticut Ecclesiastical Archives, 2:251). Finally, Jan. 17, 1721, it was agreed that the meeting-house should stand on Raymond Hill, land being given for the purpose. In his church record, Mr. James Hillhouse, the first minister, says:
"I was installed October the 3d day, 1722.
Mr. Adams preached from Acts 16:9. There were seven that belonged to the Church at my installment- Capt. Avery, Capt. Denison, Mr. Nathl Otis, Mr. Allen, Mr. Vibber, Charles Campbell and one Deacon."
|AVERY, Thomas (I03090)
||Thomas Avery was called yeoman of Saybrook on a deed dated 11 September 1703. He was involved in a controversy with Thomas Lord over land in Saybrook, which was settled 8 December 1704. He and his brother, Samuel Avery, sold land in "Pochange," Oyster River tract to Samuel Chapman on 5 June 1706, and 24 October 1706, he called himself of New London, gentleman, when he amended the prior deed to Chapman. ||AVERY, Thomas (I71278)
||Thomas became the "domicellus" of Huxham manor, with his mother Joan presenting the priest, by license of elder brother John, who d.s.p.) ||BAMFIELD, Thomas (I82204)
||Thomas Brooke, Knt., of Brooke, Somerset, Holditch in Thorncombe, Dorset, and Weycroft, Devon, 'jure uxoris' Lord Cobham, M.P. from Dorset and Somerset, Sheriff of Devonshire, is the son of Thomas Brooke, Knt., of Holditch, by Joan, daughter and co-heiress of Simon Hanham, of Gloucester. he was born about 1392 (aged twenty-six in january 1417/8. They had ten sons and four daughters. Although he adopted his step-father's Lollardism he escaped execution. ||BROOKE, Thomas Knt. (I90686)
||Thomas Browne Knt., of Betchworth Castle, Surrey 'jure uxoris', son of Richard Browne, Knt. He was Treasurer of the Household to King Henry VI, and Sheriff of Kent 1440 and 1460. They had seven sons and two daughters.|
Sir Thomas Browne was convicted of high treason: on 20 July 1460 and immediately beheaded.
|BROWNE, Thomas Knt. (I89725)
||Thomas Bryan, Knt., of Ashridge in Chesham, co. Buckingham son of Thomas Bryan, Knt., of Ashridge in Chesham, Chief Justice of the Common Pleas. He was knighted by King Henry VII in 1497, and was Vice Chamberlain to Queen Katherine of Aragon. ||BRYAN, Sir Thomas Knt. (I08670)
||Thomas came in the "Fortune" that arrived at Cape Cod November 9, 1621.|
Excerpt from "Dawes-Gates, Ancestral Lines":
His residence was first at Plymouth, but before the spring of 1632 he had followed his father-in-law, William Brewster, to Duxbury, where Patience Brewster, the wife of Thomas Prence, died in 1634 and where the residences of these two families continued until 1644, at which time the beloved Elder William died and Thomas Prence removed with his family to Nauset on the Cape. In this change he was accompanied by six other families, including those of John Doane, Josiah Cooke, and Edward Bangs, a total of forty-nine souls. there he was instrumental in forming the fourth church in the infant colony and in 1651 the settlement was renamed Eastham. While Thomas was still resident in Duxbury, and aged on about thirty-four, he was elected governor in 1634, serving then for the term of one year. In 1638 he was again the recipient of the same honor, but five years previously a law had been passed requiring the governor to reside in Plymouth, so he declined the office. On the insistence of the court he agreed to accept the position if the residence clause were waived. That request was granted, and he served during the year 1638. For more than forty years after 1632 he continuously served as an assistant or magistrate, except while holding the chief office of governor.
While resident in Eastham, and immediately following the death of Governor Bradford, Thomas Prence was unanimously chosen to succeed him, and thereafter for sixteen consecutive years, or until his own death in 1673, he held the office of governor. On his election in 1657 the court again granted him the special concession of waiver of residence, permitting him to continue to live at Eastham, where he had a farm of at least two hundred acres of the richest land in the vicinity.
|PRENCE, Gov. Thomas (I45394)
||Thomas came to New England at the age of 21, and settled in the Massachusetts Bay. He afterwards removed to Southhold, Long Island; thence to Huntington, and thence to Jamaica, from whence he removed to Norwalk in 1665. ||BENEDICT, Thomas (I05538)
||Thomas Chaffe, the immigrant ancestor of nearly all who today bear this surname under its varied forms of orthography, from Chafe to Chaffee, now residing in the United States and parts of Canada, came to New England, where in 1635 he owned land and was living in Hingham, Mass. The place and date of his birth, his parentage, the time and place of his arrival and the name of the ship which bore him from the Old World to the New, are at present unknown.|
The first mention of him in the records is found in the Town Clerk's office in Hingham, under the date 1635:
"Given unto John Tucker by the town of Hingham for a planting lot six acres of land lying upon the Worlds End Hill, bounded with the land of Thomas Chaffe and the land of John Prince, Southward and with the land of Ralph Woodward, Northward, butting upon the Sea Eastward and Westward."
This is not only the earliest mention of Thomas Chaffe, but also the name of Chaffe. How long Thomas Chafe had owned this land when John Tucker received his land, we do not know. Hingham was one of the oldest towns in the Massachusetts Bay Colony. There were settlers there as early as 1633, at which time it bore the name of "Bare Cove." The General Court, on September 2, 1635, changed the name to Hingham in deference to requests, no doubt made by those early settlers, several of whom came from Hingham in the County of Norfolk, England. Whether Thomas Chaffe was one of the earliest settlers of Hingham, we do not know; the list of those who in 1635 owned land there does not give his name, but the above extract from the records proves conclusively that at that time he was a property owner, though the entry of his grant was not made until 1637, when we find, under the heading "The severall parsells of land and meadow legally given unto Thomas Chaffe by the towne of Hingham," the following:
"Given unto Thomas Chaffe by the Towne for a planting lott seven acres of land upon the worlds end hill bounded with the sea eastward and southward and with the land of John Prince westward and with the land of John Tucker northward."
Under the same date we find another entry:
"Given unto Thomas Chaffe all the salt marsh on the south side of straitts ond for two acres and he is to have all the sd parsells of land to him and his heirs for ever be they more or less as they were measured."
"July 17th 1637. . . Given unto Thomas Chaffe by the towne for a house lott two acres of land Butting upon Batchellor street eastward bounded with the land of William Ludkin southward."
The small amount of land granted to Thomas Chafe for his house or home lot, proves that at this time he was unmarried, as it was the custom of those days to grant small parcels of land to bachelors, as being sufficient for their needs. Bachelor Street is now known as Main Street, and the original Chaffe home lot is about opposite the old meeting-house....
The name of his wife and the date and place of his marriage are unknown. He was probably married in Hull, as the copious notes and manuscripts left by the Reverend Peter Hobart, pastor of the church at Hingham from September, 135, until the date of his death in1678, make no mention in any way of Thomas Chaffe, his wife or children. The town are records of Hull prior to 1657 have been lost; if extant they would doubtless give us the desired information. It is probable that the wife's Christian name was Dorothy, as her sons both had daughters by that name, which was not a name found in the families of their wives; in that day it was the custom to name children for their grandparents, the cases where this was not done being very exceptional.....
Soon after July 25, 1680, he made his will which was exhibited "Sixt of March Anno Domini 1683.
Just what the date of Thomas Chaffe's death was we do not know, but probably not long before the filing of his will. He was doubtless buried in the ancient Chaffe Burying Ground on his own farm.......
|CHAFFE, Thomas (I73644)
||THOMAS CLARKE, PLYMOUTH|
Took the Freeman's oath.
Was assessed for the Colony tax, L 4s. 0d.
Takes Wm. Shuttle as apprentice for 11 years. At end of tie T.C. was to give him 2 suits of clothes and 8 bushels of corn.
Thomas Clarke heads the list of volunteers to act against the Pequin Indians. Is mentioned as Thomas Clarke, yeoman, of Eel river.
A tract of land called Slowly Field is granted to Thomas Clarke. he is presented to the Court for stopping the highway to Eel river.
Simeon Trott agrees to serve Thomas Clarke for 7 years, he to receive a calf and 12 bushels of corn at end of time.
Abraham Perce sold to Thomas Clarke one acre of land lying on ye S. side of ye towne abutting on Hob's hole with one end and bounded on ye one side with the ground of Ralph Wallen, on the other side with common ground, for the sum of 30 pounds of good merchantable tobacco, to him and his heirs forever.
Thomas Clarke is fined 30s. for selling a pair of boots and spurs for 15s., which he bought for 10s.
He is constable and surveyor of highways for the years 1642, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.
Thomas Clarke sells 12 acres of land at Duxbury for one Dutch cow, valued at L6.
Has suit with Matthew Fuller, which Thomas Clarke gains.
Has a suit with Wm. Powell, which Thomas Clarke gains.
Has a suit with -- Gromes, which is settled by Thomas Clarke receiving 14 bushels of wheat and 5 bushels of corn.
Thomas Clarke is allowed to draw and sell a cask of strong waters. Is one of the Committee of Plymouth Colony.
Is presented for staying and drinking at James Cole's--acquitted.
Is on a Committee to raise means to fit out an expedition ordered by the Lord Protector.
Is presented to the court for taking L6 for the use of L20 for one year -- acquitted.
|CLARKE, Thomas (I11805)
||Thomas Clarke, who was buried on the hill, in Plymouth, came over in the Anne, in 1623 being then 23 years old.|
He was probably a seafaring man, as well as carpenter. It is recorded that in 1635, he lost a boat worth L15 in a great storm in Eel river.
He had for his garden plot, in 1623 one acre on the south side of the brook. In 1637, he was the first to volunteer to go against the Piquot Indians. In this roll are Mr. Stephen Hopkins and his two sons, Caleb and Giles. At this date he dwelt at Eel river, and was styled "yeoman."
In 1642, he was surveyor of Plymouth: in 1651, one of the Plymouth committee. He appears to have been a very active, trading speculating man. In 1629, he bought an acre of land on the south side of the town for 30 pounds of tobacco and the next day sold it to Governor Bradford. He purchased a lot of land at Eel river in 1630, for L10. He resided at Plymouth in 1643 and 58. December 3, 1639, he was fined 30 shillings for extortion, in that he sold a pair of boots and spurs for 15 shillings which he purchased for 10 shillings. Before 1631 he had married Susanna, daughter of widow Mary Ring...
Mr. Clarke was elected one of the deputies of Plymouth in 1655, and again in 1656....
March 6, 1654/5, he was presented before the grand jury for taking six pounds for the bare loan of twenty pounds one year, which the jury "conceived to be great extortion, contrary to the law of God and man." At his trial the traverse jury cleared him. It was probably a false charge....
|CLARKE, Thomas (I11805)
||Thomas Cornwallis, Esq., of Brome, Suffolk, M.P. for Suffolk, is the son and heir, of John Cornwallis, of Brome and Oakley, by Phillippe, daughter and co-heiress of Robert Bucton, of Brome. ||CORNWALLIS, Thomas Esq. (I90156)
||Thomas Dacre, K.B., K.G., 3rd Lord Dacre of Gillesland, son and heir was summoned to Parliament from 17 Oct 1509 and distinguished himself at the head of a troop of horse at Flodden on 9 Sep 1513. They had two sons and five daughters. ||DACRE, Thomas (I89951)
||Thomas Dade, Gent of Tannington, Suffolk, is the son and heir of William Dade, Gent., of Witton, co. Norfolk by Margery, daughter and heiress of Nicholas Godbold, Gent., of Badingham, co. Suffolk. ||DADE, Thomas Gent. (I90146)
||Thomas Darcy, Knt., K.G., of Temple Hurst, co. York, son and heir, was born about 1467. They had three sons and one daughter. She was living in 1503. He was summoned to Parliament, certainly from 17 Oct 1509, by writs directed 'Thome Darcy de Darcy Chl'r', whereby he became Lord Darcy of Temple Hurst. he joined in Aske's rebellion, called 'the Pilgrimage of Grace', and was convicted of high treason on the charge of delivering up Pontefract Castle to the rebels. Thomas Darcy, Lord Darcy, was beheaded on tower Hill on 30 June 1537, and was buried at St. Botolp's, Aldgate. ||DARCY, Thomas Knt. (I89962)
||Thomas De Beauchamp, K.G., Earl of Warwick de fact, Hereditary Sheriff of Worcestershire, and Chamberlain of the Exchequer, younger son of Thomas de Beauchamp, of Elmley, co. Worcester, 11th Earl of Warwick, Baron of Salwape, co. Worcester, of Hanslope, co Buckingham, of Flamstead, co., Herford, and of Warwick, co. Warwick (of Magna Charta Surety descent and descendan of Charlemagne), by Katherine, daughter of Roger de Mortimer, 1st Earl of March, Baron of Wigmore, co. Hereford (descendant of Charlemagne).|
He may have joined in the alleged plot of the Earls Gloucester and Arundel for which he was arrested on a charge of high treason, being banished to the Isle of Man for life until liberation on the accession of King Henry IV.
|DE BEAUCHAMP, Thomas K.G. (I15783)
||Thomas De Mowbray, Int., K.G., 6th Lord Mowbray, younger son, was born on 22 Mar 1365/6, and was brother and heir of John De Mowbray. He was created Earl of Nottingham on 12 Feb 1382/3, Earl Marshal on 30 June 1385, and Duke of Norfolk on 29 Sep 1397. He was married for the first time to Elizabeth Strange, Baroness Strange of Blackmere 'suo jure', daughter and heiress of John Strange, Lord Strange of Blackmere. She died in her tenth year on 23 Aug 1383 s.p. He married for the second tie at Arundel Castle in the presence of the King and Queen in July 1384 to Elizabeth Fitz Alan, widow of William Montagu, styled Lord Montagu. She was born in 1375. He served under his father-in-law in the naval victory over the French, Spanish and Flemish fleets off Margate on 24 Mar 1386/7. On his return from the Holy Land Thomas De Mowbray, Duke of Norfolk, died of the pestilence at Venice, Italy, on 22 Sep 1399, and was buried in the abbey of St. George there. ||DE MOWBRAY, Sir Thomas Knt. (I17170)
||Thomas De Ros, Knt., 4th Lord Ros of Helmsley, third son of William de Ros, Baron of Helmsley, co. York by Margery, daughter of Bartholomew de Badlesmere, 1st Lord Badlesmere. He was born at Stoke Albany, co. Northampton, on 13 Jan. 1336/7, and was brother and heir of William de Ros. They had four sons and two daughters. He took part in the King's expedition in Normandy in 1355, and in the campaigns of 1356 and 1359-60. He was summoned to Parliament from 24 Aug 1362. In 1368 he was ordered to reside on his lands in Ireland with his armed forces, to prevent the loss and destruction of the country. 'Thomas de Roos, lord of Hamelak' died testate at Uffington, co. Lincoln (while preparing to go on pilgrimage to Jerusalem), on 8 June 1384, and was buried at Riveaulx. ||DE ROS, Thomas Knt. (I17433)
||Thomas De Ros, Knt., 8th Lord Ros, younger son, was born in 26 Sep 1406. He was brother and heir of John de Ros, 7th Ros, and was aged fourteen a his brother's death. He was knighted by the King at Leicester on 19 May 1426 , served in France under the Duke of Bedford in 1427, and was summoned to Parliament in 1429. Thomas De Ros, Lord Ros, died 18 Aug 1430 'in the King's wars in France.' ||DE ROS, Thomas (I89595)
||THOMAS DEWEY, the Settler (spelled also in the Dorchester records, Duee), came to Dorchester, Mass., in 1633, from Sandwich, Kent, England, near the ancient town of Dover, and was enrolled as a freeman there, may 14, 1634. He removed about 1638 to Windsor, Ct., and m. there, march 22, 1638/9, widow Frances Clarke, by whom he had 5 children. He was cornet of the town troop of soldiers. he d. at Windsor, April 27, 1648. he was frequently juror and deputy to the General Court. His widow m. for a 3d husband, Nov. 30 1648, George Phelps, and soon afterwards removed to Westfield, Mass., with all the Dewey children except Israel, who remained in Windsor and d. there at an advanced age, leaving no issue. Thomas Dewey and all his descendants for several generations are believed to have been farmers. ||DEWEY, Thomas (I64181)
||Thomas died of dysentery contracted at the siege of Harfleur, "on his birthday, aged 34".|
He married Nov. 26, 1405 at Lambeth, Beatrice, illegitimate daughter of John I, King of Portugal, and his mistress Inez Perez.
There were no children.
|FITZ ALAN, Thomas (I22339)
||Thomas died two days after the Battle of Shrewsbury.|
He was unmarried.
|DE PERCY, Thomas (I17321)
||Thomas Flegg died Feb 6, 1697/8; will proved Feb. 16 of same, does not mention all of his children. |
He came to New England when only 21 years old with Richard Carver, in whose employ he was. They embarked at Scratby, Norfolk, 1637. Although of an ancient and respectable family of Norfolk, he was registered as servant of Carver's. that word being used at the time to denote servitude of any kind. Thus Sir Ferdinando Gorges speaks of Gov. Vines as "my servant"; Pepys, the diarist is registered as the servant of kinsman, Lord Sandwich, and the records of the time abound in such instances. It is altogether probable that the young man had entered into an arrangement very common at the time, to work for Carver for a certain period in payment for his passage. (Stiles' Ancient Windsor, I, p. 40.) That there was nothing debasing about his servitude is proved by the part he subsequently took in the affairs of the new settlement, for at this time in New England, social distinctions were most rigidly observed. Although not among the first proprietors of Watertown, his name appears on the records as early as 1641, as owner of a "homestall" of six acres and a lot of twenty acres. Between 1671 and 1687, he was Selectman eight terms, 1671-74-75-76-78-81-85 and 87. He lost his eye by a gunshot accident previous to 1659. He was released from training April 165(?) by paying the company 5 shillings per annum and was fully released therefrom by the court April 5, 1681, when his eldest son was 40 years old.
|FLEGG, Thomas (I82713)
||Thomas Fogge, Esq., of Ashford,Kent, Sergeant Porter of Calais to Kings Henry VII and Henry VIII. They had two daughters "Thomas Fogges, esquyer, of Eshetisford" died testate on 16 Aug 1512, and was buried at Ashford. ||FOGGE, Thomas Esq. (I90419)