Matches 8,751 to 8,800 of 9,408
|| Linked to
||Thomas Chaffe, the immigrant ancestor of nearly all who today bear this surname under its varied forms of orthography, from Chafe to Chaffee, now residing in the United States and parts of Canada, came to New England, where in 1635 he owned land and was living in Hingham, Mass. The place and date of his birth, his parentage, the time and place of his arrival and the name of the ship which bore him from the Old World to the New, are at present unknown.|
The first mention of him in the records is found in the Town Clerk's office in Hingham, under the date 1635:
"Given unto John Tucker by the town of Hingham for a planting lot six acres of land lying upon the Worlds End Hill, bounded with the land of Thomas Chaffe and the land of John Prince, Southward and with the land of Ralph Woodward, Northward, butting upon the Sea Eastward and Westward."
This is not only the earliest mention of Thomas Chaffe, but also the name of Chaffe. How long Thomas Chafe had owned this land when John Tucker received his land, we do not know. Hingham was one of the oldest towns in the Massachusetts Bay Colony. There were settlers there as early as 1633, at which time it bore the name of "Bare Cove." The General Court, on September 2, 1635, changed the name to Hingham in deference to requests, no doubt made by those early settlers, several of whom came from Hingham in the County of Norfolk, England. Whether Thomas Chaffe was one of the earliest settlers of Hingham, we do not know; the list of those who in 1635 owned land there does not give his name, but the above extract from the records proves conclusively that at that time he was a property owner, though the entry of his grant was not made until 1637, when we find, under the heading "The severall parsells of land and meadow legally given unto Thomas Chaffe by the towne of Hingham," the following:
"Given unto Thomas Chaffe by the Towne for a planting lott seven acres of land upon the worlds end hill bounded with the sea eastward and southward and with the land of John Prince westward and with the land of John Tucker northward."
Under the same date we find another entry:
"Given unto Thomas Chaffe all the salt marsh on the south side of straitts ond for two acres and he is to have all the sd parsells of land to him and his heirs for ever be they more or less as they were measured."
"July 17th 1637. . . Given unto Thomas Chaffe by the towne for a house lott two acres of land Butting upon Batchellor street eastward bounded with the land of William Ludkin southward."
The small amount of land granted to Thomas Chafe for his house or home lot, proves that at this time he was unmarried, as it was the custom of those days to grant small parcels of land to bachelors, as being sufficient for their needs. Bachelor Street is now known as Main Street, and the original Chaffe home lot is about opposite the old meeting-house....
The name of his wife and the date and place of his marriage are unknown. He was probably married in Hull, as the copious notes and manuscripts left by the Reverend Peter Hobart, pastor of the church at Hingham from September, 135, until the date of his death in1678, make no mention in any way of Thomas Chaffe, his wife or children. The town are records of Hull prior to 1657 have been lost; if extant they would doubtless give us the desired information. It is probable that the wife's Christian name was Dorothy, as her sons both had daughters by that name, which was not a name found in the families of their wives; in that day it was the custom to name children for their grandparents, the cases where this was not done being very exceptional.....
Soon after July 25, 1680, he made his will which was exhibited "Sixt of March Anno Domini 1683.
Just what the date of Thomas Chaffe's death was we do not know, but probably not long before the filing of his will. He was doubtless buried in the ancient Chaffe Burying Ground on his own farm.......
|CHAFFE, Thomas (I73644)
||THOMAS CLARKE, PLYMOUTH|
Took the Freeman's oath.
Was assessed for the Colony tax, L 4s. 0d.
Takes Wm. Shuttle as apprentice for 11 years. At end of tie T.C. was to give him 2 suits of clothes and 8 bushels of corn.
Thomas Clarke heads the list of volunteers to act against the Pequin Indians. Is mentioned as Thomas Clarke, yeoman, of Eel river.
A tract of land called Slowly Field is granted to Thomas Clarke. he is presented to the Court for stopping the highway to Eel river.
Simeon Trott agrees to serve Thomas Clarke for 7 years, he to receive a calf and 12 bushels of corn at end of time.
Abraham Perce sold to Thomas Clarke one acre of land lying on ye S. side of ye towne abutting on Hob's hole with one end and bounded on ye one side with the ground of Ralph Wallen, on the other side with common ground, for the sum of 30 pounds of good merchantable tobacco, to him and his heirs forever.
Thomas Clarke is fined 30s. for selling a pair of boots and spurs for 15s., which he bought for 10s.
He is constable and surveyor of highways for the years 1642, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.
Thomas Clarke sells 12 acres of land at Duxbury for one Dutch cow, valued at L6.
Has suit with Matthew Fuller, which Thomas Clarke gains.
Has a suit with Wm. Powell, which Thomas Clarke gains.
Has a suit with -- Gromes, which is settled by Thomas Clarke receiving 14 bushels of wheat and 5 bushels of corn.
Thomas Clarke is allowed to draw and sell a cask of strong waters. Is one of the Committee of Plymouth Colony.
Is presented for staying and drinking at James Cole's--acquitted.
Is on a Committee to raise means to fit out an expedition ordered by the Lord Protector.
Is presented to the court for taking L6 for the use of L20 for one year -- acquitted.
|CLARKE, Thomas (I11805)
||Thomas Clarke, who was buried on the hill, in Plymouth, came over in the Anne, in 1623 being then 23 years old.|
He was probably a seafaring man, as well as carpenter. It is recorded that in 1635, he lost a boat worth L15 in a great storm in Eel river.
He had for his garden plot, in 1623 one acre on the south side of the brook. In 1637, he was the first to volunteer to go against the Piquot Indians. In this roll are Mr. Stephen Hopkins and his two sons, Caleb and Giles. At this date he dwelt at Eel river, and was styled "yeoman."
In 1642, he was surveyor of Plymouth: in 1651, one of the Plymouth committee. He appears to have been a very active, trading speculating man. In 1629, he bought an acre of land on the south side of the town for 30 pounds of tobacco and the next day sold it to Governor Bradford. He purchased a lot of land at Eel river in 1630, for L10. He resided at Plymouth in 1643 and 58. December 3, 1639, he was fined 30 shillings for extortion, in that he sold a pair of boots and spurs for 15 shillings which he purchased for 10 shillings. Before 1631 he had married Susanna, daughter of widow Mary Ring...
Mr. Clarke was elected one of the deputies of Plymouth in 1655, and again in 1656....
March 6, 1654/5, he was presented before the grand jury for taking six pounds for the bare loan of twenty pounds one year, which the jury "conceived to be great extortion, contrary to the law of God and man." At his trial the traverse jury cleared him. It was probably a false charge....
|CLARKE, Thomas (I11805)
||Thomas Cornwallis, Esq., of Brome, Suffolk, M.P. for Suffolk, is the son and heir, of John Cornwallis, of Brome and Oakley, by Phillippe, daughter and co-heiress of Robert Bucton, of Brome. ||CORNWALLIS, Thomas Esq. (I90156)
||Thomas Dacre, K.B., K.G., 3rd Lord Dacre of Gillesland, son and heir was summoned to Parliament from 17 Oct 1509 and distinguished himself at the head of a troop of horse at Flodden on 9 Sep 1513. They had two sons and five daughters. ||DACRE, Thomas (I89951)
||Thomas Dade, Gent of Tannington, Suffolk, is the son and heir of William Dade, Gent., of Witton, co. Norfolk by Margery, daughter and heiress of Nicholas Godbold, Gent., of Badingham, co. Suffolk. ||DADE, Thomas Gent. (I90146)
||Thomas Darcy, Knt., K.G., of Temple Hurst, co. York, son and heir, was born about 1467. They had three sons and one daughter. She was living in 1503. He was summoned to Parliament, certainly from 17 Oct 1509, by writs directed 'Thome Darcy de Darcy Chl'r', whereby he became Lord Darcy of Temple Hurst. he joined in Aske's rebellion, called 'the Pilgrimage of Grace', and was convicted of high treason on the charge of delivering up Pontefract Castle to the rebels. Thomas Darcy, Lord Darcy, was beheaded on tower Hill on 30 June 1537, and was buried at St. Botolp's, Aldgate. ||DARCY, Thomas Knt. (I89962)
||Thomas De Beauchamp, K.G., Earl of Warwick de fact, Hereditary Sheriff of Worcestershire, and Chamberlain of the Exchequer, younger son of Thomas de Beauchamp, of Elmley, co. Worcester, 11th Earl of Warwick, Baron of Salwape, co. Worcester, of Hanslope, co Buckingham, of Flamstead, co., Herford, and of Warwick, co. Warwick (of Magna Charta Surety descent and descendan of Charlemagne), by Katherine, daughter of Roger de Mortimer, 1st Earl of March, Baron of Wigmore, co. Hereford (descendant of Charlemagne).|
He may have joined in the alleged plot of the Earls Gloucester and Arundel for which he was arrested on a charge of high treason, being banished to the Isle of Man for life until liberation on the accession of King Henry IV.
|DE BEAUCHAMP, Thomas K.G. (I15783)
||Thomas De Mowbray, Int., K.G., 6th Lord Mowbray, younger son, was born on 22 Mar 1365/6, and was brother and heir of John De Mowbray. He was created Earl of Nottingham on 12 Feb 1382/3, Earl Marshal on 30 June 1385, and Duke of Norfolk on 29 Sep 1397. He was married for the first time to Elizabeth Strange, Baroness Strange of Blackmere 'suo jure', daughter and heiress of John Strange, Lord Strange of Blackmere. She died in her tenth year on 23 Aug 1383 s.p. He married for the second tie at Arundel Castle in the presence of the King and Queen in July 1384 to Elizabeth Fitz Alan, widow of William Montagu, styled Lord Montagu. She was born in 1375. He served under his father-in-law in the naval victory over the French, Spanish and Flemish fleets off Margate on 24 Mar 1386/7. On his return from the Holy Land Thomas De Mowbray, Duke of Norfolk, died of the pestilence at Venice, Italy, on 22 Sep 1399, and was buried in the abbey of St. George there. ||DE MOWBRAY, Sir Thomas Knt. (I17170)
||Thomas De Ros, Knt., 4th Lord Ros of Helmsley, third son of William de Ros, Baron of Helmsley, co. York by Margery, daughter of Bartholomew de Badlesmere, 1st Lord Badlesmere. He was born at Stoke Albany, co. Northampton, on 13 Jan. 1336/7, and was brother and heir of William de Ros. They had four sons and two daughters. He took part in the King's expedition in Normandy in 1355, and in the campaigns of 1356 and 1359-60. He was summoned to Parliament from 24 Aug 1362. In 1368 he was ordered to reside on his lands in Ireland with his armed forces, to prevent the loss and destruction of the country. 'Thomas de Roos, lord of Hamelak' died testate at Uffington, co. Lincoln (while preparing to go on pilgrimage to Jerusalem), on 8 June 1384, and was buried at Riveaulx. ||DE ROS, Thomas Knt. (I17433)
||Thomas De Ros, Knt., 8th Lord Ros, younger son, was born in 26 Sep 1406. He was brother and heir of John de Ros, 7th Ros, and was aged fourteen a his brother's death. He was knighted by the King at Leicester on 19 May 1426 , served in France under the Duke of Bedford in 1427, and was summoned to Parliament in 1429. Thomas De Ros, Lord Ros, died 18 Aug 1430 'in the King's wars in France.' ||DE ROS, Thomas (I89595)
||THOMAS DEWEY, the Settler (spelled also in the Dorchester records, Duee), came to Dorchester, Mass., in 1633, from Sandwich, Kent, England, near the ancient town of Dover, and was enrolled as a freeman there, may 14, 1634. He removed about 1638 to Windsor, Ct., and m. there, march 22, 1638/9, widow Frances Clarke, by whom he had 5 children. He was cornet of the town troop of soldiers. he d. at Windsor, April 27, 1648. he was frequently juror and deputy to the General Court. His widow m. for a 3d husband, Nov. 30 1648, George Phelps, and soon afterwards removed to Westfield, Mass., with all the Dewey children except Israel, who remained in Windsor and d. there at an advanced age, leaving no issue. Thomas Dewey and all his descendants for several generations are believed to have been farmers. ||DEWEY, Thomas (I64181)
||Thomas died of dysentery contracted at the siege of Harfleur, "on his birthday, aged 34".|
He married Nov. 26, 1405 at Lambeth, Beatrice, illegitimate daughter of John I, King of Portugal, and his mistress Inez Perez.
There were no children.
|FITZ ALAN, Thomas (I22339)
||Thomas died two days after the Battle of Shrewsbury.|
He was unmarried.
|DE PERCY, Thomas (I17321)
||Thomas Flegg died Feb 6, 1697/8; will proved Feb. 16 of same, does not mention all of his children. |
He came to New England when only 21 years old with Richard Carver, in whose employ he was. They embarked at Scratby, Norfolk, 1637. Although of an ancient and respectable family of Norfolk, he was registered as servant of Carver's. that word being used at the time to denote servitude of any kind. Thus Sir Ferdinando Gorges speaks of Gov. Vines as "my servant"; Pepys, the diarist is registered as the servant of kinsman, Lord Sandwich, and the records of the time abound in such instances. It is altogether probable that the young man had entered into an arrangement very common at the time, to work for Carver for a certain period in payment for his passage. (Stiles' Ancient Windsor, I, p. 40.) That there was nothing debasing about his servitude is proved by the part he subsequently took in the affairs of the new settlement, for at this time in New England, social distinctions were most rigidly observed. Although not among the first proprietors of Watertown, his name appears on the records as early as 1641, as owner of a "homestall" of six acres and a lot of twenty acres. Between 1671 and 1687, he was Selectman eight terms, 1671-74-75-76-78-81-85 and 87. He lost his eye by a gunshot accident previous to 1659. He was released from training April 165(?) by paying the company 5 shillings per annum and was fully released therefrom by the court April 5, 1681, when his eldest son was 40 years old.
|FLEGG, Thomas (I82713)
||Thomas Fogge, Esq., of Ashford,Kent, Sergeant Porter of Calais to Kings Henry VII and Henry VIII. They had two daughters "Thomas Fogges, esquyer, of Eshetisford" died testate on 16 Aug 1512, and was buried at Ashford. ||FOGGE, Thomas Esq. (I90419)
||Thomas Fones was at an early age apprenticed to a grocer in London. He was freed from the apprenticeship in 1602. However, he did not pursue the grocery trade becoming and apothecary. ||FONES, Thomas (I75968)
||Thomas Gerard, Knt., of Kingsley & Bryn, co. Lancaster, son of Peter Gerard, of Kingsley and Bryn, co. Lancaster and Margaret, daughter of Thomas Stanley, Knt., of Hooton, Co. Chester. ||GERARD, Sir Thomas Knt. (I77567)
||Thomas Grey and Cecily Bonville had three sons and six daughters. he was created 'Marquess of Dorset' on 18 Apr 1475. He was summoned to parliament from 15 Nov 1482 by writs directed 'Thome Marchioni Dors'. In January 1482/3 on the death of his grandmother, Elizabeth, lady Ferrers of Groby, he became Lord Ferrers of Groby. "Thomas Gray, mercus Dorsett of Asteley', died testate aged fifty on 20 Sep 1501, and was buried at Astley, co Warwick. ||GREY, Thomas (I26170)
||Thomas Halsey of Hertfordshire, England, and Southampton, Long Island 1591-1679, With His Amer. Desc. to the Eighth & Ninth Gen. ||Source (S03492)
||Thomas Hammond, son of William and Mary (?) Hammond, of Melford, England, and grandson of John and Agnes (?) Hammond, of Lavenham, England, was baptized at Melford, county of Suffolk, England, with his twin brother, John, Sept. 2, 1603. He was a first cousin of William Hammond, who settled in Watertown, Mass., in 1636.|
He married in Lavenham, England, Nov. 12, 123, Elizabeth Cason, b. in Great Whelnetham, a few miles north of Lavenham, before 1604, daughter of Robert and Prudence (Hammond) Cason. She was a grand-daughter of Robert and Elizabeth (?) Hammond, of Great Whelnetham.
Thomas Hammond was one of the first settlers in Hingham, Mass. Had land granted him there in 1636. Took the freeman's oath march 9, 1636-7.
He was on the grand jury in 1637. His two younger children were baptized in Hingham. The elder children were undoubtedly born in England, although the place of their birth has not been definitely ascertained.
Thomas Hammond, Vincent Druce, John Parker, Nicholas Hodgdon and John Winchester all settled in Hingham at about the same time; all of these removed from there and settled in the same neighborhood, near the boundary line between what are now the towns of Newton and Brookline, Mass.
Nicholas Hodgdon first purchased 67 acres of land on Cambridge Hill, which he sold Dec. 4, 1650, to Thomas Hammond and Vincent Druce, then of Hingham. They also bought 13 acres, granted by the town of Cambridge to Robert Bradish, and 16 acres in Muddy River, next to lands of John Parker. Hammond and Druce bought in 1658, of Thomas Brattle and others, 600 acres in Muddy River (now Brookline) called Royton farm, which they held in common for some years. The division was finally made as shown by his unsigned will. He probably removed to Cambridge Village (now Newton) about 1650, but held lands in Hingham for same years after that date. In 1652, he sold land there (Suffolk Deeds, folios 221-222)...
In 1656, he sold lands in Hingham to William Sprague for L60. In the same year he bought of Esther Sparhawk, daughter of Nathaniel Sparhawk, 330 acres more of land, in Cambridge, for L40.
His homestead, in Newton, was near the Brookline boundary and near a beautiful sheet of water, which has since borne his name, "Hammond Pond." the homestead remained in the family several generations, Josiah Hovey Hammond, father of Mr. George W. Hammond, of the Forest Paper Co., having been the last of the race who was born there.
Thomas Hammond was one of the wealthiest men in town in his day. there seems to have been a close friendship between himself and Vincent Druce, but no relationship has been shown by any papers or records found.
He died in 1675, leaving an unsigned will which was admitted to probate.....It is found in Middlesex Probate, No 7160....
His inventory amounted to L1,139 16S 2d and was by Elder Wiswall and John Spring. It was dated Oct. 25, 1675, and states that he deceased Sept. 30, 1675. A family tradition relative to Elizabeth Cason, his wife, is given on p. 299 of Jackson's History of Newton and is as follows:
"It is said that when a young woman, in England, she took a walk with a party of young folks and went into the Mint to see how money was coined. the master of the Mint was pleased with her appearance and chat, and gave her an invitation to try her hand in the operation. She had evidently made some impression on him, and he was desirous to know if she could make as good an impression upon the coin; so he placed a piece of silver coin upon the die, about the size of a half crown--she came forward and grasped the lever and stamped a fair impression upon the coin, where upon he presented her with the silver piece, which she bore off in triumph; and from her fair hand it has passed through those of her descendants, to the seventh generation, and is now (1854) possessed by Stephen Hammond, of Roxbury, whose son, William, of the eighth, is looking wishfully for it."
This coin is now (1902) in the possession of Mr. George W. Hammond, of Yarmouthville, Me.
|HAMMOND, Thomas (I72888)
||Thomas Harby, Esq., of Adston, co. Northampton, is the son of William Harby, of Ashby, by Emma, daughter of William Wilmore, of Ashby. ||HARBY, Thomas (I81759)
||Thomas Harding Ellis, Ellis Family of Virginia (Name: Richmond, VA, 1849, rpt. 1906.;), Source Medium: Book|
||Thomas Hart was a Deputy in Newport in 1666. On 4 September 1666, he was ordered to procure a boat and hands to go to Warwick to "signify to the Magistrates and Deputies of that Towne" that the Newport Court desired their advice and assistance. He was among a large group of Newport residents who circa 1667 were involved in the purchase of land from the Indians in Monmouth, New Jersey, for the purpose of establishing a settlement there. he is known to have been one of the first purchasers, but is also known to have been among those who did not settle there. ||HART, Thomas (I27536)
||THOMAS HAZARD, the progenitor of the Hazard family in the United States of America, was born in 1610; he died in 1680; married 1st Martha ?, who died in 1669. He married, 2d, Martha, widow of Thomas Sheriff; she died in 1691. He name is first found in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1635. In 1638, March 25, he was admitted freeman of Boston. Two years later he was admitted freeman of Portsmouth, Rhode Island. In 1639, april 28, he and eight others signed the following contract, preparatory to the settlement of Newport, Rhode Island: "It is agreed by us whose hands are underwritten to propagate a plantation in the midst of the island or elsewhere, and to engage ourselves to bear equal charge, answerable to our strength and estates, in common, and that our determination shall be by major voice of judge and elders, the judge to have a double voice." The founders and first officers of the town of Newport were William Coddington, Judge; Nicholas Eaton, John Coggeshall, William Brenton, John Clarke, Jeremy Clarke, Thomas Hazard, and Henry Bull, Elders; William Dyre, Clerk. In 1639, June 5, he was named one of four proportioners of land in Newport, any three of whom might proportion it; "the company laying it forth to have 4d. an acre for every acre laid." September 2, 1639, he was admitted freeman of newport, and in 1640, March 12, he was appointed a member of the General Court of Elections. In 1665, he was for a short time in Newtown, Long Island. In his will, proved 1680, his wife Martha, whom he calls his "beloved yoke-fellow," is sole executrix, and he gives her "all movable and immovable estate, as housing, goods, cattle, and chattels, etc." To his son Robert he gives 1s. To his daughters, Hannah Wilcox and Martha Potter, wife of Ichabod Potter, 1s. There is a long line of descendants from this daughter Martha, and Ichabod Potter, with frequent intermarriages in the Hazard family. In the early history of the family it was almost an exception to find a Hazard who did not marry a cousin, and it is a curious fact that the lines in which these marriages were the most frequent, were often marked by the strongest men and women, both mentally and physically.|
Thee few meagre facts are about all that can be found at the present day of the founder of the Hazard family in America. But Thomas R. Hazard, in his "Recollections of Olden Times", has given an account of the family that goes back, even beyond the name; its European founder being the Duke de Charante, living about 1060, on the borders of Switzerland. From the Duke de Charante he has given an interesting account of the changes in the name, until towards the close of the eighteenth century, when it was, and still continues to be, written Hazard. Willis R. Hazard, a descendant of Jonathan Hazard of Newtown, Long Island (according to whose opinion Jonathan was a son of Thomas Hazard, but by other authorities a nephew), has given us the chief characteristics of the family; and although his account was intended for the descendants of Jonathan of Newtown, it is equally applicable to the Rhode Island Family. He says: "The Hazards are a strongly marked race, handing down and retaining certain peculiarities from generation to generation. One is, a peculiar decision of character, a certain amount of pride, and a pronounced independence, coupled with a slight reserve. Physically they are strongly marked. Generally speaking, they are of good stature and vigorous frames with rather a square head, high forehead, brown hair, blue eyes, straight or aquiline nose, and with will shown by a firmly set jaw. Their complexion is fair, a little inclined to florid."
Few families in Rhode Island have a brighter record than the Hazard family, where, if greatness is not always found, sobriety, honesty, and integrity make even the humblest lives worth studying; and when one finds, as is often the case, a retiring, unpretentious modesty combined with greatness, he must be pardoned for his enthusiastic admiration for the old family tree, that still sends out vigorous shoots after more than two hundred years of growth in America.
|HAZARD, Thomas (I71504)
||Thomas Hoo, Knt., K.G., of Hoo in Linton, co. Bedford, Sheriff of Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire, son and heir of Thomas de Hoo, Knt., of Hoo, by Eleanor, daughter and co-heiress of Thomas Felton, Knt., of Litcham, Norfolk. He was born bef 100, and distinguished himself in the French wars. On 2 June 1448, for his good service in England, France and Normandy, he was created Lord Hoo of Hoo in the county of Bedford and of Hastings in the county of Sussex. He was summoned to Parliament from 2 Jan. 1448/9 by writs directed 'Thome Hoo Chivaler'. Thomas Hoo, Lord hoo, died testate on 13 Feb 1454/5. His will, dated 12 Feb 1545/5, provided bequests for the marriages of his daughters 'Anne, Alyanor and Elyzabeth', and names 'my lord Wells, my wyves father' and 'Alyenor my wyffe.' ||HOO, Thomas Knt. (I89810)
||Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk KG PC (1473 ? 25 August 1554) (Earl of Surrey from 1514), was a prominent Tudor politician. He was an uncle of two of the wives of King Henry VIII of England, namely Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard, both of whom were beheaded, and played a major role in the machinations effecting these royal marriages. After falling from favour in 1546, he was stripped of the dukedom and imprisoned in the Tower of London, avoiding execution when King Henry VIII died on 28 January 1547.|
He was released on the accession of the Roman Catholic queen, Mary I of England, whom he aided in securing her throne, thus setting the stage for tensions between his Catholic family and the Protestant royal line that would be continued by Queen Mary's half-sister, Queen Elizabeth I of England.
Thomas was the eldest son of Thomas Howard, 2nd Duke of Norfolk (1443?1524) by his first wife, Elizabeth Tilney (d. 1497), the daughter of Sir Frederick Tilney and widow of Sir Humphrey Bourchier. He was descended in the female line from Thomas of Brotherton, 1st Earl of Norfolk, the sixth son of King Edward I of England. In 1485, both his father and his grandfather, John Howard, 1st Duke of Norfolk, had fought for the Yorkist king, Richard III of England, at the Battle of Bosworth, in which his grandfather was killed, thus bringing the Tudor king, Henry VII of England, to the throne. Due to their alliegance to the losing side, the Howard family's titles became forfeit.
Thomas Howard was an able soldier, and was often employed in military operations. In 1497, he served in a campaign against the Scots under the command of his father, who knighted him on 30 September 1497. He was made a Knight of the Garter after the accession of King Henry VIII, and became the King's close companion, with lodgings at court. On 4 May 1513, he was appointed Lord Admiral, and on 9 September, he helped to defeat the Scots at the Battle of Flodden. His first wife, Anne of York, died in 1511, and early in 1513, Howard married Lady Elizabeth Stafford, the daughter of Edward Stafford, 3rd Duke of Buckingham and Lady Eleanor Percy, the daughter of Henry Percy, 4th Earl of Northumberland.
On 1 February 1514, Howard's father, then Earl of Surrey, was created Duke of Norfolk, and by letters patent issued on the same day, Thomas Howard was created Earl of Surrey for life. Over the next few years, he served King Henry VIII in a variety of ways. In September 1514, he escorted the King's sister, Princess Mary Tudor, to France for her forthcoming marriage to King Louis XII of France. In 1517, he quelled a May day riot in London with the use of soldiers.
On 10 March 1520, the Earl of Surrey was appointed Lord Deputy of Ireland. By July 1520, Surrey entered upon the thankless task of endeavoring to keep Ireland in order. His letters contain accounts of attempts to pacify the rival factions of the Earl of Kildare and the Earl of Ormonde, and are full of demands for more money and troops.
At the end of 1521, the Earl of Surrey was recalled from Ireland to take command of the English fleet in naval operations against France. His ships were ill-provisioned, and his warfare consisted of a series of raids upon the French coast for the purpose of inflicting all the damage possible. When Surrey abandoned the siege of Brest, he left Vice-Admiral William FitzWilliam on station to blockade the port. The English navy patrolled the coast of Brittany for the next three months, but was unable to score a decisive victory with their Spanish allies. In July 1522, Surrey had burned Morlaix, in September, he had laid waste the country around Boulogne, spreading devastation on every side until the winter brought back the fleet to England. The sea patrol was abandoned with little achieved.
Rise to power
On 4 December 1522, Thomas Howard was made Lord Treasurer upon his father's resignation of the office, and on 21 May 1524, he succeeded his father as Duke of Norfolk. His liking for war brought him into conflict with Cardinal Thomas Wolsey, who preferred diplomacy in the conduct of foreign affairs. In 1523, Wolsey had secured to the Duke of Suffolk the reversion of the office of Earl Marshal which had been held by Norfolk's father, and in 1525, the Duke of Richmond had replaced Norfolk as Lord Admiral. Finding himself pushed aside, Norfolk spent considerable time away from court in 1525?7 and 1528.
In the mid 1520s, the Duke of Norfolk's niece, Anne Boleyn, had caught the eye of King Henry VIII, and Norfolk's political fortunes revived with his involvement in the King's attempt to have his marriage to Queen Catherine of Aragon annulled. By 1529, matters of state were being increasingly handled by Norfolk, the Duke of Suffolk, and the Boleyns, who pressed King Henry VIII to remove Cardinal Wolsey. In October, the King sent Norfolk and the Duke of Suffolk to obtain the great seal from the Cardinal. In November, Wolsey was arrested on a charge of treason, but died before trial. Norfolk benefited from Wolsey's fall, becoming the King's leading Councillor and applying himself energetically in the King's efforts to find a way out of his marriage to Queen Catherine. His loyalty and service to King Henry VIII brought him ample rewards. He received grants of monastic lands in Norfolk and Suffolk, was employed on diplomatic missions, and was created a knight of the French Order of St Michael in 1532 and Earl Marshal of England on 28 May 1533. In May 1536, when King Henry VIII arrested his second wife, Queen Anne Boleyn, Norfolk presided at the trial of his niece as Lord High Steward.
Norfolk's marriage to his second wife, Lady Elizabeth Stafford, which had apparently been mutually affectionate at first, deteriorated in 1527 when he took a mistress, Elizabeth Holland (d. 1547/8), whom he installed in the Howard household. Lady Elizabeth formally separated from her husband in the 1530s. She claimed that in March 1534, the Duke ?locked me up in a chamber, [and] took away my jewels and apparel'. Norfolk then moved her to Redbourn, Hertfordshire, where she lived an actual prisoner with a meagre annual allowance of only £200. She also claimed to have been physically maltreated by Norfolk and by his household servants.
When the Pilgrimage of Grace broke out in Lincolnshire and the northern counties late in 1536, Norfolk shared command of the King's forces with the Earl of Shrewsbury, persuading the rebels to disperse by promising them a pardon and that Parliament would consider their grievances. However, when further rebellions erupted in January 1537, he carried out a policy of brutal retribution.
By 1539, Norfolk was seriously challenging the religious reforms of the King's chief minister, Thomas Cromwell. In that year, King Henry VIII sought to have Parliament put an end to diversity in religious opinion. On 5 May, the House of Lords appointed a committee to consider questions of doctrine. Although he was not a member of the committee, on 16 May, Norfolk presented six conservative articles of religion to Parliament for consideration. On 30 May, the Six Articles and the penalties for failure to conform to them were enacted into law, and on 28 June, received royal assent.
On 29 June 1539, Norfolk, the Duke of Suffolk, and Thomas Cromwell dined with King Henry VIII as guests of Archbishop Thomas Cranmer. During a heated discussion about Cardinal Wolsey, Cromwell charged Norfolk with disloyalty and Norfolk called Cromwell a liar. Their mutual hostility was now out in the open. Cromwell inadvertently played into Norfolk's hands by taking the initiative in the King's marriage to Anne of Cleves. The King's disillusionment with Anne's physical appearance when he met her in January 1540, and his desire to have the marriage annulled after the wedding had taken place, gave Norfolk an opportunity to bring down his enemy, Cromwell. On 10 June 1540, Cromwell was arrested at a Privy Council meeting on charges of high treason, and Norfolk personally 'tore the St George from his neck?. On 9 July 1540, King Henry's marriage to Anne of Cleves was annulled. On 28 July 1540, Cromwell was executed, and on the same day, the King wed Norfolk's other niece, Catherine Howard, as his fifth wife. As a result of this marriage, for a time, Norfolk enjoyed political prominence, royal favour, and material rewards.
However, when Queen Catherine's premarital sexual indiscretions and her alleged adultery with Sir Thomas Culpeper were revealed to King Henry VIII by Archbishop Cranmer, the King's wrath turned on the Howard family, who were accused of concealing her misconduct. Queen Catherine Howard was condemned by a bill of attainder and was later executed on 13 February 1542. Several other members of the Howard family were sent to the Tower, including Norfolk's stepmother, the Dowager Duchess of Norfolk. However, the French ambassador Marillac wrote on 17 January 1542, that Norfolk had not only escaped punishment, but had apparently been restored to his 'full former credit and authority'.
The Duke of Norfolk was appointed Lieutenant-General north of the River Trent on 29 January 1541, and Captain-General in a campaign against the Scots in August 1542. In June 1543, he declared war on France in the King's name and was appointed Lieutenant-General of the army. During the campaign of May?October 1544, he besieged Montreuil, while King Henry VIII captured Boulogne, before returning home. Complaining of lack of provisions and munitions, Norfolk eventually raised the siege of Montreuil, and realizing that Boulogne could not realistically be held by the English for long, he left it garrisoned and withdrew to Calais, for which he was severely rebuked by the King.
Imprisonment and release
During the King's final years Edward Seymour, 1st Earl of Hertford, and Henry VIII's last queen, Catherine Parr, both of whom favoured the reformed faith, gained influence with the King while the conservative Norfolk became isolated politically. He attempted to form an alliance with the Seymours through a marriage between his widowed daughter, Mary Howard and Hertford's brother Thomas Seymour, but the effort was forestalled by the provocative conduct of his eldest son and heir, Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey, who had assumed the royal arms of Edward the Confessor as part of his personal heraldry. On 12 December 1546 both Norfolk and Surrey were arrested and sent to the Tower. On 12 January 1547 Norfolk acknowledged that he had "concealed high treason, in keeping secret the false acts of my son, Henry Earl of Surrey, in using the arms of St. Edward the Confessor, which pertain only to kings", and offered his lands to the King. Norfolk's family, including his estranged wife, his daughter Mary, and his mistress, Elizabeth Holland, all gave evidence against him. Surrey was beheaded on 19 January 1547, and on 27 January 1547 Norfolk was attainted by statute without trial. The dying King gave his assent to Norfolk's death by royal commissioners, and it was rumoured that he would be executed on the following day. He was saved by the King's death on 28 January and the Council's decision not to inaugurate the new reign with bloodshed. His estates fell prey to the ruling clique in the reign of Edward VI, for which he was later partly compensated by lands worth £1626 a year from Queen Mary I.
Norfolk remained in the Tower throughout the reign of King Edward VI. He was released and pardoned by Queen Mary in 1553, and in Mary's first parliament (October?December 1553), his statutory attainder was declared void, thereby restoring him to the dukedom. He was appointed to the Privy Council, and presided as Lord High Steward at the trial of the Duke of Northumberland on 18 August. He was also restored to the office of Earl Marshal and officiated in that capacity at Mary's coronation on 1 October 1553. His last major service to the Crown was his command of the forces sent to put down a rebellion in early 1554 by a group of disaffected gentlemen who opposed the Queen's projected marriage to Philip II of Spain.
|HOWARD, Thomas (I90703)
||Thomas Howard, Knt., K.B., K.G., Sherif of Norfolk and Suffolk, M.P. for Norfolk, P.C. son and heir by first marriage, was born at Stoke Nayland in 1443, and was educated at Thetford Grammar School. He was yeoman in the household of King Edward I. He fought at the Battle of Barnet on 14 Apr 1471, and was severely wounded. After service with the Duke of Burgundy, he became Esquire of the Body to King Edward IV, whom he attended both in England and France. He was created Earl of Surrey on 28 June 1483 (the same day his father was created Duke of Norfolk). He was wounded and taken prisoner at the battle of Bosworth on 22 Aug 1485. Finding favour with King Henry VII, he entered upon a career of employment for many years. He did notable service in the North, especially stamping out insurrections in 1489 and 1492. His first wife died, as Countess of Surrey, on 4 Apr 1497. He was married for the second time (with dispensation dated 17 Ag 1497 as related in the second degree, to marry in the chapel of the castle of Sheriff Hutton) to Agnes Tilney, daughter of Hugh Tilney, of Skirbeck and Boston, co. Lincoln, by daughter of Walter Tailboys. He was made Lieutenant General in the North in July 1513, and gained victory over the Scots at Flodden Field on 9 September. He was rewarded therefor by being created (with a grant of lands) Duke of Norfolk on 1 Feb. 1513/4. Thomas Howard, Duke of Norfolk, died aged about eighty at Framlingham Castle on 21 May 1524, and was buried at Thetford Abbey. His widow was imprisoned in the Tower in 1541 (with her son Lord William Howard and Margaret his wife, and her daughter the Countess of Bridgewater), and attainted for misprision of treason in concealing the 'evil life' of her step-granddaughter, Katherine Howard, before her marriage to the King Henry VIII. ||HOWARD, Sir Thomas (I80624)
||Thomas Howes was first in Lynn and afterward settled in yarmouth, of which he was one of the three original proprietors. He settled at Nobacusset on the north side of Cape Cod, which afterwards became a part of the town of Dennis. he was one of those in August, 1643, between 16 and 60 years of age, able to bear arms in yarmouth. he was one of the deputies from yarmouth to the General Court at Plymouth for six years, commencing in 1652. The tax of his widow (then also the Widow of Gov. Prence) in 1676 towards the charges of the late war" was L1 3s. 4d.|
The first mention of Thomas' Howes is in the court records of Essex county n September, 1633. At the 10th Quarter Court, held at Salem Sept. 25, 1633, in the suit of Mr. Holgrave against Thomas Howes for trespass, the jury found for the plaintiff seven bushels and a half of corn and four shillings costs. At the same court Abram Temple obtained a verdict for two bushels of corn, five shillings damages and four shillings costs against Mr. John Humphreys, Mr. Howes and Mr. Hawks for trespass done by their horses; Hugh Browne, a verdict for three bushels of corn, seven shillings and sixpence damages and four shillings costs against Thomas Howes for trespass; James Molton a verdict for eleven bushels and one peck of corn and four shillings costs against Mr. Howes and Mr. Hawks for trespass; James Hinds, a verdict against the same two for four bushels and a half of corn and four shillings costs for trespass; and Henry Skerry, a verdict against the same two, also for trespass for the same amount of corn and costs....
|HOWES, Thomas (I85151)
||Thomas is also known as the Earl of Derby, Leicester, Lincoln, and Salisbury, Seneschel of England. ||LANCASTER, Thomas Of (I34816)
||Thomas is the son of John Wake (d. 1300) and his wife Joan (d. 1310) (daughter of John Fitzbarnard of Kingsdown, Kent.|
They had no children.
|WAKE, Thomas (I58853)
||Thomas Kidder was a farmer, carpenter, and millwright. In the Spring of 1815 he moved from Vermont (probably Stratton, where his parents lived) to Hanover Township, Chautauqua Co., New York, where he erected a sawmill, and gristmill. In 1832 he and his family moved on to Elk Creek, Erie Co., Pa., where he and his wife died. ||KIDDER, Thomas (I82626)
||Thomas Lewis, Gent., son of Andrew Lewis, Draper, ofShrewsbury, co. Salop, by Mary, daughter of Mr. William Herring, of Shrewsbury, vintner and draper, born Shrewsbury abt. 1590, vintner of Shrewsbury, emigrated by 28 June 1631, patentee of thirty-two square miles on the eastern bank of the Saco River in the Province of Maine granted to him and Capt. Richard Bonython by the Plymouth Company in 1629, joined by wife and three daughters in 1637; died before 1640. ||LEWIS, Thomas (I81974)
||Thomas Lunsford, Knt., of Lunsford and Wilegh, Sussex, said to have been born about 1610, but shown as fourth son in pedigree, described by Clarendon "a man, though of ancient family in Sussex, of very small and decayed fortune, and of no good education"; described in youth as "of lawless disposition and violent temper"; committed to Newgate in 1633, escaped next year, fled to the Continent and entered the French service, gaining military reputation, returned to England 1639, granted royal pardon, appointed Lieutenant of the Tower of London by King Charles I, 22 Dec 1641, knighted 28 Dec 1641, a commander of Royalist forces against the Parliamentarians until the execution of King Charles in January 1649, license to go to Virginia granted 7 Aug 1649, member of the Council and Lieutenant-General of Virginia troops, 1651, died 1653, buried "Richneck", tombstone, inscribed 1727, later removed to Bruton Church, Williamsburg; will, then of Tooting Graveney, Surrey, dated 4 Jan. 1688, proved 13 June 1691, by "Lady Elizabeth Lunsford, alias Thomas, relict of the deceased"; married, first, Anne Hudson, of Peckham, Surrey, buried at East Hoathly, 28 Nov 1638, one son died as infant; married second 1640, Katherine Neville, died Virginia 1649, daughter of Henry Neville, Knt., of Billingbear, co. Berks (three daughters returned to England as wards of their grandmother, Dame Elizabeth Neville); married third, Elizabeth (?) Kemp, widow of Richard Kemp, of "Richneck", James City County, Virginia. ||LUNSFORD, Thomas Knt. (I90341)
||Thomas Lunsford, who is said to have wasted the estate inherited from his father, died at Greenwich where he was buried on 4 Nov 1637. ||LUNSFORD, Thomas Gent. (I90339)
||THOMAS LYON "of Rye" was born in England, about 1621, and died at Byram Neck, Greenwich, Fairfield Co., Conn in 1690. He was buried in the old Lyon family burying ground at Byram Neck. he is supposed to have come first to the Massachusetts Colony, and thence to have gone to seek his fortune in the far west of Fairfield County, Conn., where at about the same time Richard and Henry Lyon, presumably his brothers or cousins, appeared. His first wife was Martha Joanna Winthrop, a grand-daughter of Gov. John Wintrop, of Salem, Mass., and it is to Hon. Robert C. Winthrop, a lineal descendant of the Governor that we are indebted for nearly all the circumstantial knowledge we have of the life of Thomas Lyon. He made public in a communication to the Massachusetts Historical Society, of which he was for thirty years president, a number of letters found among the papers of Governor Winthrop, written by Thomas Lyon, his wife Martha (Winthrop) Lyon, and other members of the family.|
Martha's mother, Elizabeth (Fones) Winthrop remained in England when her husband, Henry Winthrop came to America. He was drowned in Salem harbor, July 2, 1630, the day after his arrival. She, with her infant daughter, Martha, came to America the following year. She did not remain long a widow. Her second husband was Robert Feake(Feeke, Feke, Fekes, Feeck, the name was variously written), one of the earliest and largest proprietors in Watertown, which he repeatedly represented in the Massachusetts General Court. After some years Mr. Feake removed with his family to Greenwich, Conn. where in 1640, he, with Capt. Daniel Patrick, purchased of the Indians a large tract of land. It appears that about this time he developed symptoms of a derangement of mind which ended in complete insanity. there may or may not have been estrangement between man and wife; at all events Mr. Feake returned to Watertown, leaving his family in charge of his business partner, Capt. Patrick. the gossips had it that the relations between Capt. Patrick and Mrs. Feake were more intimate than business required. However, these relations, whatever may have their nature, were brought to an abrupt close in 1643 by the death by assassination of Capt. Patrick. Mrs. Feake and her daughter continued to live in Connecticut (in the town Stamford), her business affairs being entrusted now to one William Hallett. At this juncture Thomas Lyon comes on the stage and assays the difficult role of son-in-law.
FIND A GRAVE ----
Wife: Mary Hoyt (1630, Windsor, Hartford Co., CT - 1696, Simsbury, Hartford Co., CT)
"The tradition in this family runs that Thomas Lyon and John Banks came together from Yorkshire, England, about the year 1640, to the spot where they settled on the east bank of Byram River, which they reached by boat from Stamford. Saving the date, which is many years too early, the legend may be correct. Thomas Lyon was a land-holder in Stamford in 1650 and 1652."
Source: "History of Rye, New York: Chronicle of a Border Town, Westchester County, New York, Including Harrison and White Plains till 1788"; by Charles W. Baird, 1871, p. 422.
Burial location referenced in "Byram, Connecticut: An Historic Resources Inventory"; by Renee Kahn Associates, 1978, p. 3.
|LYON, Thomas (I37356)
||Thomas married Betsey Mason or Betsey Arnold. ||NEWTON, Thomas C. (I41299)
||Thomas Montagu, Knt., K.B., Earl of Salisbury, Lord Montagu, son and heir, was born about 1388 (aged twelve at his father's death). He was married for the first time to Alianor De Holand. She was born in 1387, the fifth child and second daughter of that name, and was co-heiress of her brother Edmund Holand, Earl of Kent. She was living in 1413, and according to her husband's will, was buried at Bisham. He was summoned to Parliament as Earl of Salisbury on 26 Oct 1409. In consideration of his great services in the French War, he was restored in blood to the dignities held by his father on 2 May 1421, becoming thus Lord Montagu, etc. He received a grant of the Comte of Perche, and was appointed Lieut. General of Normandy. ||MONTAGU, Thomas K.G. (I16986)
||Thomas of Lancaster, created Duke of Clarence, Earl of Albemarle 9 July 1412, slain at the Battle of Beauge 22 Mar 1421, buried at Canterbury. ||LANCASTER, Thomas Of (I44548)
||Thomas of Lancaster, son and heir, 2nd Earl of Lancaster, Leicester and Derby, Steward of England, present at the siege of Carlaverock 1 July 1300, Earl of Lincoln and Salisbury 'jure uxoris'; throughout nearly the whole of his career his policy was one of obstruction to his cousin the King, which he carried to the extreme of having treasonable correspondence with the Scots; died 22 Mar 1322 s.p., being beheaded outside Pontefract in the presence of his cousin, King Edward II, buried St. John's Priory, Pontefract. ||LANCASTER, Thomas Of (I34816)
||Thomas of Norfolk (of Brotherton), Knt., fifth son, was born at Brotherton, co. York, on 1 June 1300. He was assigned the estates of Roger Bigod, late Earl Norfolk (with his brother Edmund jointly) by their brother King Edward II, and was created Earl of Norfolk on 16 Dec 1312. He was summoned to Parliament on 3 Jan. 1312/3, and was created Marshal of England on 10 Feb 1315/6. He was married for the first time about 1316, or about 1320 to Alice De Hales, daughter of Roger de Hales, Knt., of harwich, Essex. Earl Thomas gave unhesitating support to the opposition by Queen Isabel, and met her in 1326 at her landing on his own property at Orwell, but in 1329 joined the alienated magnates against her and Roger de Mortimer, Earl of March, and had charge of Mortimer's execution (though his son was married to Mortimer's daughter). ||NORFOLK, Thomas "Of Brotherton" of (I08081)
||Thomas Olney, the ancestor of the Olneys in America, had his birthplace in the city of Hertford, Hertfordshire, England; which city formed a part of the Parish of St. Albans, the seat of one of the most ancient monasteries, and long celebrated in English history as the center of spiritual influence. Of his early life we know nothing. he received a "Permit to emigrate to New England," April 2, 1635, and came to Salem, Mass., by the ship Planter. He was appointed a surveyor in january, 1636, and granted forty acres of land at Jeffrey Creek, now known as Manchester, near Salem. He was made a freeman the same year, and early associated with those who accepted the peculiar views of Roger Williams. With a number of others he was excluded from the colony, March 12, 1638. Previous to this, however, in company with Williams, he visited Narragansett Bay while seeking some place where they might live outside the jurisdiction of Massachusetts Colony, and had decided upon the west side of the Seekonk River. Accordingly, with eleven others, they formed a new settlement at the head of the bay which they named Providence, in grateful remembrance of their deliverance from their enemies. They thus became the "Original Thirteen Proprietors of Providence," having purchased their rights from the Indians. In July, 1639, he and his wife and their companions were excluded from the church at Salem, "because they wholly refused to hear the church, denying it, and were re-baptized."|
His prominence in the Colony is shown by the various duties he was called to perform.
In 1638 he was chosen the first Treasurer.
In 1647 he was chosen commissioner to form a Town Government.
In 1648 he was chosen assistant for Providence, and held the office almost continuously until 1663.
In 1655, with Roger Williams and Thomas Harris, he was chosen a judge of the Justices Court.
In 1656, he was chosen to treat with Massachusetts Bay about the Pawtuxet lands.
In 1663 his name appears among the grantees of the Royal Charter of Charles II.
In the same year he was chosen an assistant under the new Charter.
He was one of the founders of the First Baptist Church in Providence, and at one time the acting pastor or minister. He was the leader in a schism in the church upon the question of the "laying on of hands," about 1652-4.
He was evidently a man of stern and decided opinions, who did not hesitate to advance his views among his neighbors. Of him, in his occupation as surveyor, it is said," as he entered upon the surrounding lands with his field book, chain and compass, and mystic words, with the peculiar dignity of official characters of that day, he may well have inspired the Indians with profound awe, and led them to feel that no Indian could henceforth dwell upon that part of their tribal property again."
|OLNEY, Thomas (I73757)
||Thomas Prence was the most distinguished of the settlers of Eastham, though not the best educated. At the time of his removal in 1645, he was holding the position of an assistant to Gov. Bradford, and had twice been chosen governor of the infant colony --first election in 1634, and second election in 1638. He was a native of Lechlade, a parish in Gloucestershire, England, it is understood, and born about the year 1600. He came to Plymouth in the ship Fortune, in November 1621. At the time of his removal he was residing in Duxbury. His farm at Eastham contained many acres, It was situated northwest of Town cove, in that part now included within the present town of Eastham.His house stood on the east side of the county road, near where Mr. E. Doane's house now stands. It is said his farm comprised the "richest land" in the place. the famous old pear tree planted by him while a resident, and which was blown down in 1849, stood but a few rods westward from the site of his house. He was a large landowner. He owned land in what became afterwards Harwich and Truro, besides tracts at Tonset and other localities in the Colony. He disposed of most of his landed estate before his death. His tracts at Sauquatucket, now Brewster, which came to him by grant, on the account of having been a "Purchaser or Old-Comer," he sold to his son-in-law, Major John Freeman, in 1672. His "half share" at Paumet, both "purchases and unpurchased," or Lovell's Creek," he sold to Mr. Thomas Paine in 1670......|
Gov. Prence continued in the office of an assistant by successive elections till 1657, when he was unanimously elected to the office of governor, as successor to Gov. Bradford, who died that year. As the law required the governor to reside at the seat of government, a dispensation was obtained for him, and he was allowed to remain at Eastham, as he desired. Mrs. Bradford was engaged to entertain him and his assistants while at Court; an attendant was appointed to attend him in his journey to and from Plymouth, and occupied the place provided by the government at a place called Plain Dealing, which the late Judge John Davis, a native of Plymouth, says was "nearly two miles from the centre of the town on the road to Boston." The late William Russell in his Guide to Plymouth, says the place called Plain Dealing, "extended near "Mr. Hedges," and in the vicinity of "Starts Hill." At this place, while occupying the gubernatorial chair, he died March 29, 1673, in his 73d year. He was "honorably interred at Plymouth, April 8th." Judge Davis says" "the Plymouth church records, in expressing Mr. Prence's character and his amiable and pleasant conversation, depart from their usual course by an indication of his personal appearance, from which it ay be supposed that it was peculiarly dignified and striking. He was excellently qualified for the office of governor. He had a countenance full of majesty, and therein, as well as otherwise, was a terror to evil doers. Besides holding the office of governor, Mr. Prence was a great number of years an assistant of Gov. Bradford. He was one of the commissioners of the United Colonies many years; colonial treasurer and one of the council of war. He was one of those who stood bound to the adventures for the payment of the sum they demanded for their interest in the stock, trade, etc., of the colony, when the purchase was made in behalf of those who came in the three ships, viz; Mayflower, Fortune, and Ann.
|PRENCE, Gov. Thomas (I45394)
||Thomas Prentis had no children. He was justice of the peace for the county of New London from 1733 and 1737-1740; in 1734 he was appointed on a committee to build a battery in New London; and in 1739 the General Assembly appointed him, with John Ledyard and Christopher Avery, 2d, a committee to 'bring to the battery at said New London 10 great cannon,' and to get a sloop of sixteen guns ' for the defence of our coast,...these to be kept under the charge and care of said Prentis.'|
His estate was valued at L2,450 and was divided between the widow and seven brothers and sisters, one of whom was Valentine Prentis, of Woodbury, Ct. He traded to Barbadoes, 1695 to 1720. "Hempstead's Diary' says of him: 'He had been commander in many voyages to Newfoundland and the West Indies, but for twenty years had followed the seas and attended to husbandry and public affairs...He died lamented. He had three wives, but never had a child.'
|PRENTIS, Thomas (I67076)
||THOMAS R. LAWTHER|
FORMERLY OF JEANNETTE AND DELMONT
Thomas Richard Lawther, 90, a resident of Barnes House, Latrobe, formerly of Jeannette and Delmont, passed away Saturday, Aug 2, 2008, in Barnes House. He was born march 9, 1918, in Jeannette, a son of the late Clifford and Isabel (Collins) Lawther. Thomas was a 1935 graduate of Jeannette High School and a World War II veteran who served with the Navy Air Corps. Prior to his retirement in 1980, he was the production manager of the service department of the Elliott Co., Jeannette. He was a member of Jeannette American Legion Post 344, F&AM Lodge 750 Syria Shrine, the Shrine Legion of Honor, the Tall Cedars, the New Alexandria Lions Club and First Baptist Church, Jeannette. In addition to his parents he was preceded in death by his wife of 53 years, Mary Jane (Shuster) Lawther; two brothers, William and Orville Lawther and a sister, Virgila. he is survived by four children, Linda Lawther Price and husband Harold, of Sachse, Texas, Terry Lawther and wife Nancy, of Raleigh, N.C., Diane Moore and husband Larry, of Derry, and Thomas R. "Rick" Lawther and wife Karen, of Greensburg; eight grandchildren, Tor, Todd, Tara, Travis, Larry II, Adam, Nathan and April; five great-grandchildren, Tor, Ashleigh, Autumn, Tristan and Austin; a sister, Elsie Jean Jones and husband Larry, of Delmont, and numerous nieces, nephews and cousins. Friends will be received from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 pm.
Monday in the HARTMAN-GRAZIANO FUNERAL HOME INC.
1500 Ligonier St., Latrobe, where services will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday in the Chapel. Interment will follow in Twin alley Memorial Park, Delmont.
|LAWTHER, Thomas Richard (I88602)
||Thomas Slawson. Those economists and philosophers who have given the most thorough study to American problems and whose judgment deserves the highest consideration have frequently pointed out in recent years that the greatest and primary need of the country is more and better production from the land, rather than in the increase of commercial and industrial activities. For many years to come, say these scholars, American soil must produce not merely a sufficiency to supply the needs of our own country, but for the markets abroad. Since the area and resources of the United States are now thoroughly known, are not capable of continued expansion, the solution of the problem seems to rest upon more intensive cultivation, the making of one acre yield more than it has ever done before and the general improvement of the quality of the products, and this is exactly what the foremost agriculturists are doing and what the prominent agricultural associations are advocating. The slogan of the Missouri State Corn Growers' Association is '-'increase the yield, improve the quality."|
In Northwest Missouri one of the best exponents of this new philosophy of intensive cultivation and of better quality is Thomas Slawson, of Rea, Andrew County. Mr. Slawson is one of the vice presidents of the Missouri State Corn Growers' Association, and is known over all the corn belt as the prize winner in the production of seed corn. His farm in section 28 of Platte Township is known as the Edgewood Seed Farm, and its products have been exhibited at hundreds of corn shows and agricultural fairs, have gained ribbons and prizes by the dozen and hundreds, and samples of the Slawson corn have been admired and inspected by thousands. While it is a most creditable occupation to grow the products of the field to supply the needs of direct consumption, it is a business many degrees higher in importance to supply the grain that can be used by hundreds of other farmers to plant their fields. That is the life work of Thomas Slawson, an Ohio man, who came into Andrew County a little over thirty years ago and has since made himself a factor in the development and progress of the great corn belt of the Middle West.
Thomas Slawson was born in Delaware County, Ohio, July 8, 1849, a son of Samuel and Ellen (Grant) Slawson. His father was born in New York and his mother in Rhode Island, grew up in Ohio and was married in that state. The mother died in Delaware County in 1900 at the age of sixty-four, and the father spent the last six years of his life with his son Thomas in Andrew County, dying in 1907 at the age of eighty-four. He was a farmer by general vocation, and also for a number of years dealt in lumber and walnut logs. He was also a great lover of horses and stock cattle, and in the early part of his career had bought and shipped stock from the Middle West to Buffalo and New York. There were just two children in the family, Thomas and Alice, the latter the wife of I. M. Spohn of Whitesville.
Thomas Slawson was reared in Ohio, received his education there, and in 1880 came out to Missouri and located at Rosendale. Two years later he established his home on his present farm, which comprises 585 acres, all of it in one body except 120 acres. The land is, as a matter of course, in the highest state of development, and Mr. Slawson has taken great care to conserve and improve the resources of the land and make them in the highest degree efficient for his purposes. While his business as a raiser of seed corn is perhaps of primary importance, he also keeps a large herd of stock, chiefly Shorthorn cattle. He is a man of original mind. He attended fairs and shows all over the Middle West that Mr. Slawson's name is most widely known. He has been one of the prominent exhibitors at the National Corn Show in Omaha for several years. In 1909 he won a prize of $100 on a single ear of corn at Des Moines, in a contest open to the world, and against about three thousand rivals for the prize. In 1908 he won first premium on yellow and white corn, and in 1909 his exhibit received the first premiums in the Missouri class at the National Corn Show in Omaha. He won two firsts at Columbia in the Missouri State Corn Show, one on the acre yield and the other on ten ears of white corn. At Dallas, Texas, in 1914, the first prize was given to the Slawson exhibit of oats. He also won two first premiums at the Sedalia State Fair, one each for yellow and white corn, in 1913, including the grand champion prize on corn.
Also in 1913 he was given two first premiums and champion prize at the St. Joseph Interstate Fair. He has taken many other champion and sweepstake prizes, and has exhibited at more than two hundred fairs and shows. He has more than three hundred ribbons as proof of the honors won by his exhibits. Mr. Slawson sells seed corn all over the corn belt, and in this way disposes of about a thousand bushels annually, all of it raised in his own fields and commanding prices of from $2.50 to $5 per bushel. One year Mr. Slawson paid out more than three hundred dollars in order to buy back from the different fairs and shows his own exhibits, in order to carry them on to other fairs. During one year his cash premiums aggregated $350.
Besides the numerous ribbons which have been bestowed on his exhibits, Mr. Slawson also has three trophy cups and two gold medals, the latter being awarded at Omaha, one in 1908 and the other in 1909. In order to hold the cups he had to win three consecutive times, and these cups are now in his permanent possession.
Mr. Slawson is a director of the Savannah Agricultural and Mechanical Society, and has been an assistant superintendent since its organization. He has been an important factor and one of the vice presidents for several years of the. Missouri Corn Growers' Association. It is a matter of interest to note that some of the products from Mr. Slawson's fields were selected as part of the Missouri corn exhibit for the San Francisco Exposition of 1915. While he has done much along these lines to stimulate larger yields and better farming methods, he does not stop short of what he accomplishes through his own products, but lends his voice and argument wherever possible to better farming methods and especially to better stock. In his home community he has always been a public spirited worker for improvements. For three years he served as road overseer in his district, and the roads were kept in such excellent condition during that time that photographs were taken of them for exhibits in other places. Mr. Slawson has furnished grain from his farm for class work in the Maryville Normal, the Savannah High School and also the agricultural school at the State University.
In 1882 Mr. Slawson married Agnes Heaverlo. She was born in Delaware County, Ohio, July 13, 1853, a daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Eakelbery) Heaverlo. Both her parents were natives of Ohio and in the fall of 1880 came to Andrew County and spent the rest of their lives on a farm near Rosendale. Mr. and Mrs. Slawson are the parents of eight children.
Source: A history of northwest Missouri, Volume 3; Edited by Walter Williams; Publ. 1915; Pgs. 1779-1780; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack]
|SLAWSON, Thomas Edmond (I52342)
||Thomas Spooner, "Records of William Spooner of Plymouth, Mass., and His Descendants" (Name: Cinninnatti - 1883;), Source Medium: (null)|
||Thomas St. Clair held Chalgrove, co. Oxford, and extensive property in co. Sussex and co. Suffolk. ||ST. CLAIR, Thomas (I81110)
||Thomas Stanley, K.B., Earl of Derby, son and heir of George Stanley, Lord Strange, by Joan daughter and heiress of John le Strange, Lord Strange, of Knokyn. He was born before 1485 and was grandson and heir of Thomas Stanley, 1st Earl of Derby. He succeeded to the Earldom ofDerby, and later succeeded his mother as Lord Strange (of Knokin), and Mohun (of Dunster). He attended King Henry VIII in the French expedition in 1513, was at the battle of Spurs on 18 Aug 1513, and attended the Emperor Charles V at Dover in 1520. ||STANLEY, Thomas (I90082)
||Thomas Stanton, who became distinguished among the first planters of Stonington, Conn., was in early manhood in England designed and educated for a cadet, but not liking the profession of arms, and taking a deep interest in the religious principles of the migrating Puritans, he left his native land, embarking o board of the good ship 'Bonaventure,' in 1635, and landed in Virginia, but left there almost immediately for Boston, mingling with the native on the way, and rapidly acquired a knowledge of their language and customs. On arrival in Boston he was recognized by Winthrop and his associates as a valuable man, worthy of the most unlimited confidence, for the very next year he was selected by the Boston authorities to accompany Mr. Fenwick and Hugh Peters, as interpreter on a mission to Saybrook, Conn., to hold a conference with the Pequot Indians relative to the murder of Capt. Stone and Newton. After the close of the conference Mr. Stanton went up to Hartford, and there fixed his permanent abode in 1637. Mr. Stanton's accurate knowledge of the language and character of the Indians soon gave him prominence in the new settlements of Connecticut, for the very first year that he came to Hartford, the General Court gave him ten pounds for the service he had already done for the country, and declared that he should be a public officer, to attend the court upon all occasions, either general or particular, at the meetings of the magistrates, to interpret between them and the Indians, at a salary of ten pounds per annum. Mr. Stanton did not always agree with the policy of Capt. Mason and the court relative to the treatment of the Indians, and drew upon himself their displeasure; but being a man accustomed to speak his own mind and act upon his own convictions, maintained his position, though they discontinued his salary for two years, alleging long absence as the cause, and appointed Mr. Gilbert to take his place, but in 1648 they restored him to the place with its compensation. He became the intimate and special friend of Gov. Winthrop of Connecticut, acting as his interpreter in all of his intercourse with the Indians. it was while thus employed, in an interview with Ninigret in the Narragansett country that Mr. Stanton became acquainted with the Pawcatuck Valley, and selected it for his future residence. He was the first white man who joined Mr. William Chesebrough in his new settlement. He petitioned the General Court of Connecticut for liberty to erect a trading house there, which was granted in February, 1650. In the spring following he came to Pawcatuck and erected his trading house on the west bank of Pawcatuck river, in Stonington, in 1651, near a place ever since known as Pawcatuck Rock, for the reason that the deep water channel in the river touched the east side of said rock where vessels trading with him could easily receive and discharge their cargoes without any expense for the erection of a wharf. Mr. Stanton did not remove his family to Pawcatuck in Stonington until 1657, where he had previously erected a dwelling house...|
After the articles of confederation between the New England colonies had been established in 1643, among all of the distinguished interpreters of New England, Mr. Stanton was selected as interpreter general, to be consulted and relied upon in all emergencies. In this capacity and in their behalf he acted as interpreter, especially between the ministers employed by the commissioners of the United Colonies, acting as agents of the London Missionary Society, and the Indians, to whom they preached. He also aided the Rev. Abraham Pierson in the translation of his catechism into the Indian tongue, certifying to the same in his official capacity. After Mr. Stanton became an inhabitant of Pawcatuck in Stonington he took an active part in town affairs, he became prominent, and was elected to almost every position of public trust in the new settlement. In 1658, when Pawcatuck was included in the town of Southertown, under the jurisdiction of Massachusetts, he was appointed selectman and magistrate. After Pawcatuck was set off to the Connecticut Colony by the charter of 1662, Mr. Stanton was appointed magistrate and commissioner and re-appointed every year up to the time of his death. he was elected deputy or representative to the General Court of Connecticut in 1666 and re-elected every year up to 1675.
|STANTON, Thomas (I54688)