Matches 201 to 250 of 8,763
|| Linked to
||"Derby Genealogy": Thomas Daby was a Narragansett soldier under Capt. Joseph Sill in King Philip's War, 1676....Was elected in 1706, a deacon of the Stow Church, which was organized in 1706. ||DABY, Thomas (I15079)
||"Descendants of Andreas Getz" by Marianna L. Zuelsdorf, Source Medium: Book|
||"Descendants of Angelo Zambon" by Kate Johnson. ||Source (S00015)
||"Descendants of Benjamin Burr (Burre)" by Jennifer Siders. ||Source (S00016)
||"Descendants of Benjamin Willis" emailed by Richard Predmore 8-21-1999, Source Medium: Book|
||"Descendants of Daniel Tryon (c1739-1800)" by Pam Woodwaugh dtd 6/2/08. ||Source (S00018)
||"Descendants of David Selleck" by Roger Pruitt, Source Medium: Book|
||"Descendants of Elder John Strong Vol. 1, History at Large of His Descendants. ||Source (S04058)
||"Descendants of Eleazer Slosson" by Netscape Web Sites, Source Medium: Book|
||"Descendants of Francis Brown" on USGenWebProject - Fairfield County, Connecticut, Source Medium: Book|
||"Descendants of Francis Holmes " at USGenWebProject - Fairfield County, Connecticut, Source Medium: Book|
||"Descendants of Frank Wahle" by Sue Bowman. ||Source (S00023)
||"Descendants of George Rowles" by Ann Moloney Lamb. ||Source (S00024)
||"Descendants of George Rowles":|
General notes: named for 1/2 uncle John William Theisen who was a wagonmaker in Wausau in the 1880's. Wausau Record- Herald, Sat Oct 30, 1909: "Miss Bertha Shroeder was married to William Theisen last evening at 8:30 o'clock at the home of Joseph Hoppe, 408 Canal St. Mrs. Hoppe and Miss Ella LaMere(?) were the witnesses. Justice Larner performed the ceremony."
OBITUARY: Wausau Daily record-Herald/Merrill Daily Herald, may 27 1971: "William J. Theisen, 83, 201 Seymour St., Wausau, died at 1:30 p.m. Thursday at a Wausau hospital.
Funeral services will be held Monday at 9:30 a.m. at Peterson funeral Home, and at 10 a.m. at St. James Catholic Church, both in wausau. the Rev. William Nikolai will officiate, and burial will be in St. Joseph's Cemetery, Wausau. Friends may call at the funeral home after 3 p.m. Sunday, where a parish rosary will be said at 7:30 p.m. Sunday.
"Mr. Theisen was born Aug. 18, 1887, in Marshfield, son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Theisen. He was married to Bertha Schroeder, who died May 17, 1945. He had lived in Wausau for 67 years and was a retired superintendent at Crestling.
Survivors include two sons, Russell, 210 Seymour St., Wausau and Eugene, Corry, PA; two daughters Mrs. Irene Llliquest, Austin, MN, and Mrs. Gerry Reeves, St. Paul, MN; a sister, Miss Olive Theisen, 201 Seymour St., Wausau; 10 grandchildren and three great grandchildren.
|THEISEN, William John (I56610)
||"Descendants of George Slawson" by US GenWeb shows a birth date of December 1762 and that she died unmarried. ||SLOSSON, Eunice (I52687)
||"Descendants of George Slawson" Fairfield Co., Connecticut by Rootsweb, Source Medium: Book|
||"Descendants of Jacob Willis and Phebe" by Ann Lovatt. ||Source (S00028)
||"Descendants of James Hucker" by Betty Hucker dtd 11-18-07. ||Source (S00029)
||"Descendants of John Harman" by Mariana L. Zuelsdorf, Source Medium: Book|
||"Descendants of John Waterbury "at USGenWebProject - Fairfield County, Connecticut, Source Medium: Book|
||"Descendants of Jonas Weed"--Part 1 @ Rootsweb, Ct. Fairfield, Source Medium: Book|
||"Descendants of Jonathan Dike" by James McCann. ||Source (S00033)
||"Descendants of Jonathan Latimer" by Carolyn Weibel Cherry dtd 01/1009. ||Source (S00034)
||"Descendants of Jonathan Selleck" by David Selleck, Source Medium: Book|
||"Descendants of Joseph Loomis" by Bob Saftenberg. ||Source (S00036)
||"Descendants of Margaret Jane Bare" by Mariana Zuelsdorf. ||Source (S00038)
||"Descendants of Moses Cleveland - Cleveland Genealogy" - Reuben Cleveland resided successively at Hemmingsford, Clark, Bond Head, hemmingsford, Belchertown, Mass., and Chicago. he was an honorable, highly esteemed man. In 1873 he held a position in U.S. Custom House, Chicago.|
"Chicago Tribune, July 11, 1884"----
One of the old pioneers of this city quietly passed away yesterday at his residence, corner Wabash Avenue and Van Buren street. he came to Chicago in 1849, commencing business as a carpenter and builder in the spring of 1850, under the firm name of Cleveland & Russell, and continuing in that business until 1857, when he became City Superintendent under Mayor Haines. At the breaking out of the Rebellion, Mr. Cleaveland entered the service of the United States as Capt. of Co. F. 8th Ill. Cav (Farnsworth's) participating in the Virginia and subsequent campaigns. At the close of the war he was appointed a member of the Board of Fire and Police under the administration of Mayor Medill. In the early days of this city he was a member of Garden City Lodge, A.F. & A.M., then in the South Division. Removing to the West Division in 1856, he became one of the founders of Cleveland Lodge, which was named after him, and of which he was the first W. Master. It subsequently became one of the largest and most influential lodges of the fraternity in this country. He was also a Past High Priest of Washington Chapter, No. 43, R.A.M. and a member of Apollo Commandery, No 1, K.T. Oriental Consistory, A. & A. S.R., and of Knights of Rome and Constantine, also a member of Post 28, G.A.R.
|CLEVELAND, Reuben (I12034)
||"Descendants of Reinhold and Matthew Marvin": 26 Feb. 1701, twenty-eight acres of land were "layd out by the Town's Committe" to John Marvin; this land was on "the Danberry Roads," and eight acres of it was "on his father Marvin's account." 16 December 1708, he was appointed town collector. When the meetinghouse was seated in 1710, John was assigned "ye seat before ye hinde pillar." 14 December, 1711, he was chosen surveyor of highways and 18 December, 1712, he was on a committee to obtain a teacher for the school. he was chosen selectman 1706, '13 and '19, in which year he is called "sergeant," and he, or possibly his son John, called "sergeant," in 1738 and '40; he was a constable in 1717; fence viewer, 1721 and '29; "lyster" 1724. In 1734 and '38 he represented Norwalk in the Legislature. In 1718 he with others was chosen to lay before "a wise and judicious committee" the 'surcomstances of ye town in their present differences respecting the meeting-house." 1734, with Joseph Platt, he was appointed to lay out the land granted by the town "in ye plain before Lt. Lee's door," for St. Paul's Church.|
18 Nov., 1737, he gave a lot of land eight rods square to the "Presbiterian or Congregational church of Wilton, on which to erect a meetinghouse." He confirmed this by deed of 6 May, 1738, in which he said "among the congregation are some of my children", naming John as one.
21 Jan., 1752, he bought for L2400 the farm previously owned by his son John in Sharon, and not long after settled there; he is called of Norwalk 1 Nov., 1754, and of Sharon 17 March, 1756, where he owned several other parcels of land, and soon after his purchase (11 may, 1752), he deeded to his "loveing son Joseph Marvine of Norwalk," a lot, for "love, good-will, and affection." Joseph was appointed adminstrator of his father's will 7 may, 1774.
|MARVIN, John (I38025)
||"Descendants of Reinhold and Matthew Marvin": After his father's death he lived in Sharon, Ct., with his sister Mehitable; when the Revolution began he enlisted under his brother-in-law, Capt. Benjamin Marvin, serving for a time on Long Island; 16 Aug. 1777, he enlisted as a corporal in Capt. Comstock's company, 8th Ct. Line, Col. John Chandler, and was made sergeant 2 April, 1780, in the same company; 1 Jan. 1781, he was first sergeant in Capt. Douglass' company, 5th reg't, made up from the 8th and 1st, under col. Isaac Sherman, and served a year in that command. He fought in many battles, among them those of Brandywine, Princeton, Trenton, Monmouth, Red Bank, and Mud Fort, and passed the terrible winter at Valley Forge, with Washington. He served under Lafayette in Virginia, and was one of the sixty-eight men selected by that officer from the light infantry, to storm the works of Cornwallis at Yorktown, October, 1781. In 178, when the 5th was consolidated with the 2d Ct. Line, he was a sergeant in Capt. Chapman's company, and was stationed at West Point when the army was disbanded; his discharge, signed by Gen. Washington, is till preserved by a descendant. About 1787 he went to Hoosick, Rensselaer co., NY, where his sister Elizabeth was living; later he resided in Cambridge, Argyle, and Rome, New York, but in 1799 settled in Walton, where he built a house at the base of "Mount Holley." ||MARVIN, Matthew (I70365)
||"Descendants of Reinhold and Matthew Marvin": Edward, son of Rynalde and Johan Marvin, was born in Ramsey or Wrabness, and from a comparison of dates about 1550, or a little earlier.....His father had six children living in 1554, of whose relative ages we know nothing. His birth-place is thought to have been the corner estate, which by his father's will he was to inherit on his mother's death, and which he bequeathed to his son Edward. He also owned several farms in Ramsey and its vicinity, some of which he disposed of to his sons before his death, confirming the arrangement in his will. "Moye House and land of Moys," which can be located on the amps cited, near the boundary of Ramsey and Great Oakley, and not far from the marshy shore line of Tendring Hundred, he gave to his son Richard. Other "landes, medowes, woodes and pasters" in the same neighborhood he gave to Reinold. Another son, Robert, took his lands in Frating, a parish west of the Bentleys; to Matthew, the youngest son, was bequeath "the mentchon howse called Edons, alles (alias)Dreybrocks ....that I now dwelle in."|
This mansion is in Great Bentley, still standing in good repair and bearing its ancient name, though showing evidence of various changes inside and out, since Edward died. The large room on the main floor, with its carved beams in the ceiling, and the stair-case to the chambers above, are thought to date from the period when Edward lived there; by the kindness of the present occupants we are able to give views of the building in its present condition. With this property Matthew further received "ij Croftes of land called Hartles and Brocken Heddes," for which he was to pay to his mother every year during her life, on the Feast of the Annunciation, and on St. Michael's Day (25 march and 29 September), at the mansion, "the full sume of Sexe Powndes of good and Lawfull money of England."
Edward died 13 or 14 Nov., 1615; his will is dated on the 13th, and the Register has this entry two days later: "Edward Meruin was buried the xvth November." The will was proved 17 January following. He married Margaret----, who survived him. St. mary's Register, under date of 28 May, 1633, has: "Margaret Meruin widow of Edward Meruin decd buried." He was probably married before he went to Great Bentley, as the births of his elder children are not recorded there.
Whether Edward removed from his previous home because of the troubles in St. Michael's, Ramsey, whose Vicar, John White, according to a Presbyterian writer, was "a candalous liver," and not long before had been "indicted for a common barrater," we cannot tell; if all the charges made against him were true, there would have been good reason for a change, but no doubt allowance must be made for the troublous state of affairs and the ecclesiastical contests at that time. White died shortly before October, 1592; the following June two of Edward's children were christened at Great Bentley. These are the first of the name recorde there; the Register begins in 1558, but some years are missing.
|MARVIN, Edward (I70359)
||"Descendants of Reinhold and Matthew Marvin": He was admitted a freeman 14 Sept. 1731; elected lister in 1729, and again 27 June 1743; grand-juryman, 24 Dec. 1733, 10 Dec 1739, 30 Dec 1748; fence-viewer, 29 Dec 1736, 18 Dec 1746; treasurer, Dec. 1742, and annually for many years after, with hardly an exception; his last election was 11 Dec. 1777; the following year John Lay, 2d, was "appointed" to that position. Zachariah and his wife united with the Lyme church in August, 1731; he was chosen deacon in January, 1741, at the same time with his cousin, Dea. Reinold. In October, 1772, he presented a petition to the Legislature, claiming "that for twenty years he had had a fishery in a brook leading to Black Hall Pond," but his rights had been obstructed by weirs, etc., and asking for redress. In response, the Legislature passed a law by which he was allowed to fish "in said brook on his own land (!) from Monday morning until sun-rising on Friday, every week." Matthew Marvin might fish on his own land from Thursday morning until sun=rising Friday, every week; one other person was given a similar privilege from Wednesday morning to Thursday morning, and all others forbidden to fish there. ||MARVIN, Deacon Zechariah (I70369)
||"Descendants of Reinhold and Matthew Marvin": Her death was attributed to "witchcraft." At a Quarter Court held at Hartford, 5 Sept., 1661, Nicholas Jennings and his wife Margaret, of Saybrook, were indicted for "having enterteined familiarity with Sathan... and by his help done works about ye course of nature, to ye loss of ye liues of several psons, and in pticuler ye wife of Reynold marvin....with other sorceries." The jury did not agree; a "Majority found them guilty, and the rest found strong ground for suspicion." About 1657 there had been "Suspitions about Witchery" in Saybrook, and the General Court sent Mr. Samuel Wyllys thither to investigate matters. In march, 1662/3, after Jennings' trial, the Court disallowed the account of the "Sea Brook Constables" for witnesses, and refused to "pay for their time and travaile, nor to any other upon such accounts for ye future." ||UNKNOWN, Marie (I70362)
||"Descendants of Reinhold and Matthew Marvin": Lieut. Reinold became a freeman of Saybrook 20 May 1658, the same day with his father. He owned much land in Lyme, beside his inheritance there, and in Saybrook. In 1687 his estate in latter place was "Twenty acres of upland and fourteen acres of meadow," valued at L 80; he also owned two "hundred-pound rights" in the "Cow Common of Say Brook," one-half of which was conveyed by his three sons, 27 May, 1700, to John Whittlesey, Jr., of Saybrook. Savage says, on what authority we do not know, that he was a deacon; his son Reinold held that office, but we doubt if the father did, for Lyme Church was not regularly formed until 1693, although the Rev. Moses Noyes was preaching there in 1666, ten years before Lieut. Reinold died.|
He represented Lyme in the General Court in the October session in 1670, and from 1672 to his death. he was on the committee appointed in 1666 to divide the town of Saybrook: the two divisions made a "loving parting", 13 February, 1666/7, and the names of Reinold Marvin and William Waller wee two of the six signed to the "parting covenant" for Lyme. The first land records after the separation are attested by Matthew Griswold and Reinold Marvin, "Town Surveyors;" in 1674 they were directed "to give notes with their names to them, for the records of all lands belonging unto this town, which shall be the Recorders security." Reinold was elected townsman February, 1672/3 and again in February, 1674/5; he was chosen, 9 Feb. 1673/4 "to review the town's accounts." 17 Dec 1674, he was chosen "constable for ye ensuing year."
2 Apil 1674, " Renald marvin's ear Marks for all sorts of Creatures onldly horses excepted: which is a Crope and a slite in the Crope one both ears. His Ear Mark for horses is a slite, upon the top off the near ear."
He was appointed "Sergeant to ye Band at Sea Brook," by the General Court at Hartford, 3 Oct. 1661, when Waller was made ensign, and succeeded him as lieutenant, which post he filled until his death. 10 May, 1677, the company being unable to agree on his successor, Matthew Griswold was appointed "to supply ye place of a Lievtenant till such choyse and approbation be made thereof by the Court." In 1678, the trouble continuing, "In order that the election of a lieutenant and ensign to be approved by the General Court....might be carried on in a solemn way... Mr. Noyes (Minister at Lyme) was desired to a sermon at the tie, which he was pleased accordingly to attend." Reinold is usually referred to on the later records as "Lieutenant," which distinguishes him from his father, who had no military title, and from his son, known as "Lyme's Captain."
The Lyme and Saybrook train-bands had some exciting experiences in the years just before Lieut. Reinold died. War had been declared against the Dutch in November, 1672, and a special assembly, convened at Hartford in August, 1673, ordered that all train-bands "should be complete in their arms." In July, 1676, Andros attempted to seize the fort at Saybrook, erected at the mouth of the river b Capt. Lyon Gardiner in 1635; on his approach it was hurriedly manned by the train-bands of the town, under command of Capt. Bull; on the morning of 12 July, Major Andros requested an interview, on the shore, with the minister and principal officers of Saybrook. On landing, he was met by Capt. Bull and the officers of the fort, but was not permitted to read his commission. No doubt the train-band of Lyme, under Lieut. Marvin, was present at that critical moment, which was only three weeks before his death.
Lieut. Reinold is often mentioned in the connecticut Colonial records. In October, 1660, Reinold and Waller had a difficulty with one William Parker, about certain "jades" (horses) which were claimed by "the country," and Matthew Griswold was concerned in it, adversely to Reinold. The latter was ordered to surrender them, but refused to obey, considering the demand unlawful; and in 1662/3, the "Marshall was ordered to distrein the sum of L50 of his estate for neglecting the order." The Colonial claim was later proved to be unjust, for Waller, as Reinold's agent, was "allowed one-quarter part of this L50, for his part of the horses, and Matthew Griswold was ordered not to trouble Reinold Marvin or William Waller for any part of the horses for which the bill is made." The elder Reinold was then dead.
Lieut. Reinold and his brother-in-law were among the champions of Lyme in the famous contests with New London, concerning the boundary line between the two towns. At the County Court in Hartford, 12 March, 1671, John Prentice complained of "Reynald marvin and others, for riotous practices and assaults on New London people." The Lyme men indicted their adversaries in similar terms, "for violence to drive them off their lands." The disputed territory, a strip about two miles wide between Bride Brook and Niantic River, contained about twenty-five acres of the "ministry farm;" it was finally included in the township of Lyme. Miss Caulkins has an amusing account of the conflict, which was "more comic than fearful or sublime. The encounter terminated without any serious injury on either side; the leaders drank a draft of seeming friendship together and all retired quietly from the field."
|MARVIN, Lieut. Reinold (I70373)
||"Descendants of Reinhold and Matthew Marvin": Samuel was elected townsman of Lyme in 1699, 1708-12, and 1718-20 inclusive; 21 Dec., 1725, he was chosen town clerk, and "Capt. marvin and Capt. Coult appointed to deliver the books of Records belonging to the town to Sam marvin, the new town Clerk." He held the office for many years; he was town treasurer most of the time from 1725 to 1738; constable, 1695 and 1718; surveyor, 1701; lister, 1706 and 1715; tything-man, 1723; in 1700 he was on a committee to "proportion the inhabitants in four parts, and appoint where schools shall be kept and who to go to them;" and in 1707, to "order schools to be established;" he frequently served on other committees. He represented Lyme in the General Court in 1711 and 1722, and was for many years a deacon in the Congregational Church. In 1726 he was appointed to "Make the town and county rates for the ensuing year;" in 1729, with Capt. Reinold, he was |
To examine the collectors of (the clergyman) Mr. Noyes' rate and fully empowered to prosecute them according to law if they refuse to pay over the dues that ought to have been collected by them.
He was one of the "prizors" of the estate of Lieut. Richard Lord, whose will he witnessed in 1726, and in all matters, civil and ecclesiastical, was highly esteemed for his excellent judgement. His will, drawn 19 Aug. 1741, proved 8 June 1743, mentions his wife Susannah, who is to have certain property "so long as she remains a widow;" names sons Nehemiah, Samuel, Zechariah, daughters Mary, Abigail and Elizabeth, and says "as for my son thomas Marvin, and my son Matthew Marvin, and my son Nathan Marvin, I have given them their portions already."
|MARVIN, Deacon Samuel (I70371)
||"Descendants of Reinhold and Matthew Marvin": Samuel was one of the appraisers of his wife's father's estate. He was often in public office; he was chosen townsman 1702, '07. '10, '12, '14, '17, '24, and '27; he was "lyster" 1716 and '23'; "Survaior" 1719, '21; representative, 1708 and '18; ensign of the train-band 1712 or earlier, and "established and confirmed Lieutenant of the South Company or rain-band of Norwalk" by the Legislature 19 Oct., 1719.|
3 June, 1723, he was on the committee to seat the new meeting-house, of which his brother-in-law, Joseph Platt, was chairman; from Feb., 1732, until his death, he lived in wilton parish. His house in Norwalk, one of the oldest there, was standing in 1902. By a deed, recorded at Norwalk 17 Dec., 1735, Isaac, his "loveing son," was given land called "Wolfpitt Hills," Matthew, "a portion," Josiah, "land equal to Matthew's" Samuel also received a gift of land the same day. Josiah was given more land 27 April, 1741, Isaac, 19 Dec., 1744, and Samuel, Jr., 18 Jan., 1744/5; two of these three deeds Lieut. Samuel signed with his mark, indicating he was then infirm. A very careful search fails to find a final division of his remaining property.
|MARVIN, Lieut. Samuel (I38041)
||"Descendants of Reinold and Matthew Marvin": he resided in Oxford village, in the township of Cornwall, Orange Co., where he was fence viewer and one of the overseers of the poor in 1765; he signed the "Association Pledge" there, dated 29 April 1775, opposing arbitrary acts of Great Britain. In 1775, he was chairman of the Committee of Safety and Observation of Cornwall; in 1777, one of the "Committee men" under whose charge town meetings were held; in 1778, Judge of the Orange county Court of Common Pleas; in 1779, one of the Commissioners who tried and convicted the notorious Claudious B. Smith and others, who had robbed and murdered patriots in Orange Co. He was active in the Revolution, serving as lieut.-colonel of Col. Jesse Woodhull's reg't from Orange co. (commissioned 21 Feb., 1778) and in other capacities. When the people of New York were called on in May, 1780, to loan money to the State, to aid in putting the army in proper condition to co-operate with the French, who were then about to arrive, Elihu and his son Elihu Jr., were among the subscribers. 1 July 1780, he was one of the Orange Co. committee appointed by the Legislature to collect clothing for the troops. He was also one of the Commissioners of Sequestration, to sell the property of "disaffected person" in Orange Co.|
25 Dec., 1793, Elihu and John Marvin (perhaps sons of Gen. Elihu), both of Oxford, in the "town of New Cornwall, for the advantage and accommodation of the inhabitants of the people of Oxford, and for the purpose of building a school-house" thereon, deed to the free-holders a piece of land. An obituary published soon after his decease said, that "few have been ore useful to society than he....He served as judge of the court, was a colonel and general in the militia, and deacon in the church. His funeral sermon was preached by the Rev. Mr. Crane from Job xix:25". His tombstone bears the following lines:
"Once I was young and well my health was found
But now my limbs lie mouldering under ground.
Be wife prepare for death and follow me.
My bleft Redeemer lives and with his watchfull eyes
Takes conflant care of all my duft, till he shall bid it rife:
As I am now you likely foon will be
|MARVIN, Gen. Elihu (I70354)
||"Descendants of Reinold and Matthew Marvin": How long Thomas remained in Lyme in uncertain; he witnessed a deed there 5 Oct., 1724; he joined with his brother Samuel in a conveyance to Edmund Dorr, in 1727 (Lyme rec., IV: 153, 281), and was admitted a freeman 24 April, 1733, and then disappears from Lyme; a Thomas marvin is found in the records of Goshen, Ct., 27 Dec., 1738, as one of the original proprietors, but has not been identified as this son of Samuel; when the town ands there were divided, he drew lot 50, and was appointed town collector at a meeting held in Litchfield. He was also on several other committees when the town of Goshen was organized. When his father's will was made, 19 Aug., 1741, Thomas had "already received his portion." We judge that he moved away fromLyme about the time of his marriage.|
In 1756, and probably earlier, he was living in Simsbury, CT.; in May of that year the Legislature gave him "liberty for a ferry" over the Farmington river, for ten years, after the bridge there had been destroyed; this bridge, which had been built about 1750, crossed the river from that part of Simsbury known as "Hopmeadow," the business centre. When this ferry was established he was authorized to charge "for man, horse, and load, one penny: single man or single horse, one half-penny: sheep and swine per head, one farthing." Two years later he concluded that a ferry across the Connecticut river, where he could get better prices, was more desirable, and in October, 1758, he carried on that business between Suffield and Enfield, on the route known for more than half a century as "Gillis's ferry." He found the boat and wharf there in bad condition, and in a memorial to the Legislature agreed to repair them at his own expense, if he could have a monopoly of all ferry privileges north of what was known as "the falls." In May, 1759, he was permitted to raise the fares.
|MARVIN, Thomas (I70366)
||"Descendants of Reinold and Matthew Marvin": Matthew was chosen pound-keeper on the east side 2 Dec. 1724; his will, of which his brother Samuel and his "brother-in-law" David DeForest" were the executors, was dated 3 Dec. 1744; inventory L1911..15s..11d.,"old Tenner money." He left to his eldest son, Matthew, his "silver-headed sword, over and above what I give to the rest of my sons," which was doubtless that which he used while captain of the Wilton train-band, in which command he had been confirmed by the Legislature, May, 1743. He was interred in the Sharp's Hill burying-ground. After his death his children were, in 1747, made wards of their step-father, but 4 April, 1749, Matthew, then 15, chose his uncle Samuel as his guardian. ||MARVIN, Capt. Matthew (I70356)
||"Descendants of Reinold and Matthew Marvin": Matthew, youngest son of Edward and Margaret Marvin, was baptized in St. Mary's Church, Great Bentley, Essex, England, 26 March, 1600; Rev. Robert Dernell was then its rector. His father's will gave him the "mentchon house called Edons alias Dreybrockes, and ij Croftes of land called Hartles and Brocken Heddes," on the condition that he paid his mother yearly during her life "the fulle sume of Sexe Poundes," in default of which it was to pass to his bother Reinold with a like condition. He was then about fifteen years old. He probably resided there with his mother until her death in May, 1633.|
He married (1) about 1622 Elizabeth (?), born about 1604, judging from her age as given when she went to America; she died in Hartford, probably about 1640; and from the ages of his younger children, certainly not later than 1647. rebecca is thought to have been Elizabeth's youngest child, as she is named in her father's will, but not in that of his second wife, who mentions her own children then living. He married (2), about 1647, Alice, widow of John Bouton, born about 1610; in her will, 1 Dec., 1680, she calls herself "aged about seventy;" she made oath to the inventory of her husband's estate 17 Dec., 1680, and died soon after; the inventory of her own estate is dated "the last of January, 1680/1."
Matthew sailed from London in the "Increase," Robert Lea, master, having proved, 15 April, 1635, that his party had "taken the oathes of Allegeance and Supremacie: As also being conformable to the Government and discipline of the Church of England, whereof they brought testimony.. Cert. from ye Justices and ministers where there abodes have latlie been."
He had been a "sydeman" at St. mary's in 1621; "overseer" in 1627, and senior warden in 1628. He is last mentioned there 22 Aug. 1633, when "William Littleburye, the servant of Matthew Meruin, was buried."
The record of his departure calls him "husbandman, aet. 25," and names his wife and children "Elizabeth Marvynn, vor, 31; Elizabeth Marvinn 31 ( a clerical error for 13); Matthew Marvynn, 8; marie Marvynn, 6; Sara marvynn, 3; Hanna Marvynn 1/2." Some of his fellow-passengers appear as his fellow townsmen in Hartford, Farmington and Norwalk. The "Increase" sailed about the middle of April, and reached New England about the first of June. Where he spent the first few months after his arrival, is not known. His name is on the monument in honor of the first settlers of hartford, the first of whom arrived there about November, 1635, and Matthew was one of "the twelve very earliest emigrants whose names are known," and who formed the company known as Adventurers, to whom belonged "Venturers' Field." He resided on the corner of Village (now Pleasant) and Front streets, the lot fronting east.
|MARVIN, Matthew (I38032)
||"Descendants of Reinold and Matthew Marvin": Reinold, son of Edward and Margaret marvin, was baptized 25 Oct., 1594, in St. Mary's Church, Great Bentley, Essex, England. He died in Lyme, Ct., in the summer of 1662; his will is dated 23 may; the Inventory was presented 28 October of that year. He married Marie -----(Judging from the date of baptism of her eldest child) in 1617 or 1618, but no record has been found. t. mary's Register is not complete. She died in Lyme, probably in the summer of 1661, not long before her husband, as is evident from his will......|
The record of his departure, and the name of the ship in which he sailed, have not been found; many emigrants from northern Essex took shipping for New England from Ipswich at this period, as it was a nearer port than London, and very likely Reinold was among them. The last mention of his name in Great Bentley was in 1637' he appears in Hartford, Ct., in 1638, where Matthew already had a home; thus we know within a few months the date of his arrival. Doubtless his wife and surviving children came with him; at least three had died in England, and only Reinold and Mary are names in his will.
His home-lot in Hartford was at the north end of the "West Field," near those of Thomas Upson and Thomas Barnes. An entry in the early Hatford records shows that at a town-meeting held 28 Oct., 1640, a vote was passed by which it was
"Ordered ye Renall maruen hath liberty to by Thomas Vpfonfe lot, & to Pofes it vpon the termes yt other men doe yt is when he fells it, he is to doe according to ye order provided in that behalfe."
His name does not appear in a list of the landholders in hartford, dated February, 1639/40. About this time he removed to Framington, of which he was one of the earliest proprietors The exact date cannot be given, for the Farmington records begin with 1646.
Reinold next removed to Saybrook, at the mouth of the Connecticut River; this town was settled about 1640, and called the "town-side," while Lyme, on the eastern side, then had but few if any inhabitants. The Saybrook records before 1660 are missing, and there are no Church records extant of the pastorate of Mr. Fitch, the first minister; but we find that "Randall" Marvin, William Waller, and Thomas Adgate (who married Matthew marvin's daughter Mary) were present at a town-meeting held 7 Jan'y, 1655/6.
He was made a freeman of Saybrook 20 May, 1658 "at a Gen Court of Election." He was then in his 64th year. A paper dated 12 Dec., 1659, and signed by "Renald Maruen," William Waller, Francis Bushnell, and others, was sent to the Governor and magistrates by the signers, saying that the greater part of the Saybrook Church, with some of the town and the minister, were removing, but they intended to stay.
He is frequently named in Colonial Records of Connecticut, Vol. I, but it is often difficult to decide whether father or son is intended. Once or twice he is termed "goodman," which, says Drake, was at that time applied to the same persons who are elsewhere on the same records called "Mr."--the title of respect given to clergymen, "Assistants," and others of high position. the elder Reinold held no public office, so far as we know, but is called "Mr. Reynold Marvin."
Lyme was made a distinct town in May, 1667 ; it had then but about thirty families. Its meadows and cornfields had been cultivated by armed men fro Saybrook, among whome no doubt were Reinold and his son, and Waller, his son-in-law. Here Reinold built a house, retaining his home-lot and considerable land at Saybrook. At his death his largest holdings were in Lyme, very considerable portions of which remain in the possession of his descendants, --of the name or the blood-- at the present time.
It is not known where Reinold and his wife were buried; perhaps the old burying-ground on the hill where the first meeting-house stood, was their resting-place; but there are two stones, now without legible inscription if they ever bore any, and evidently of great age, still standing in the Duck River buying-ground, in Lyme, near and on the east of the grave of Lieut. Reinold Marin, which may mark the place of their interment. His will was exhibited in Court, 9 July, 1663, and ordered to be recorded, and his son "Renold Marvin was admitted to administer upon his estate."
|MARVIN, Reinold (I70361)
||"Descendants of Richard Ambler" at USGenWebProject - Fairfield County, Connecticut, Source Medium: Book|
||"Descendants of Richard Scofield" at USGenWeb Project - Fairfield County, Connecticut, Source Medium: Book|
||"Descendants of Richard Slawson from familytreemaker", Source Medium: Book|
||"Descendants of Richard Webb,Sr." at USGenWebProject - Fairfield County, Connecticut, Source Medium: Book|
||"Descendants of Robert Bates" at USGenWeb - Fairfield, Connecticut, Source Medium: Book|
||"Descendants of Robert Lockwood - Colonial and Revolutionary History of the Lockwood Family in America" states a correction as follows regarding Joseph Lockwood:|
8080 - C.L.J., hartford Times, Jan. 4, 1941. LOCKWOOD-BETTS-CHICHESTER-TUTTLE. I hasten to correct important errors appearing in his inquiry for the benefit of any who may be misled thereby. "Robert W. Lockwood" should read simply "Robert Lockwood". "Mar. prob. twice" should read "mar. Susannah Norman" only.
Everything in this inquiry regarding Robert (1) Lockwood and Jonathan (2) Lockwood should be disregarded as far as any direct connection with the stated generations that follow in the inquiry are concerned. JOSEPH(3) LOCKWOOD who married Elizabeth Ayres, and second, Margery Webb, was of Stamford and WAS NOT the son of Jonathan Lockwood of Greenwich but of Edmund Lockwood of Stamford and his wife Hannah.
JOSEPH LOCKWOOD of Stamford was not a grandson of Robert Lockwood of Watertown and Fairfield, but of Robert's elder brother EDMUND LOCKWOOD of Cambridge. The error of naming Joseph Lockwood of Stamford as a son of Jonathan of Greenwich may be charged to Bolton's Hist. of Westchester Co. and Holden's Lockwood Family (1883).
|LOCKWOOD, Joseph (I36433)
||"Descendants of Robert Lockwood" at USGenWebProject - Fairfield County, Connecticut, Source Medium: Book|
||"Descendants of Roger Williams" Additions and corrections - An article by Wayne Tillinghast tneds to prove that ANNE WATERMAN, was not the third wife of John Tillinghast (1690-1777), although Anne's mother's will, dated 29 November 1744, names her "Ann Tillinghast." Anne Waterman may have married Charles Tilinghast widower of her sister Mercy who died 1734/35. When Charles died on 12 Apr 1743, Providence Probate Records, Willis 4:3 or 4:80 cite he died "intestate.... and his relict widow Mrs. Anne Tillinghast...." It might be assumed that following the death of her sister, Mercy, Ann married her widower, Charles Tillinghast. If so, we have not ascertained that they had issue. ||TILLINGHAST, John (I57021)
||"Descendants of Samuel Stark" by Julia Isabelle McCann dtd 04-05-08. ||Source (S00049)
||"Descendants of Sebastian John Schriber" by Pam Matthews dtd 04/08/08. ||Source (S00050)