|2. ||Samuel WILBORE was born 7 Nov 1692, Little Compton, Rhode Island (son of Samuel WILBORE and Mary POTTER); died 28 Apr 1752, Little Compton, Rhode Island. |
"The Wildbores in America": Samuel Wilbore lived on the west road, Little Compton, R.I., on the place now owned by Philip H. Wilbour and owned in 1870 by Isaac C. Wilbour. His will, dated February 27, 1749/50, and proved May 30, 1752 (book 1, L.C. Probate, page 125). He bequeaths: To wife Elizabeth, use of all my lands, housing, orchard and meadows in Little Compton. To son Robert, all my lands, housing and orchard in the town of Dartmouth, Mass., where he now dwells. To son Thomas, 50 pds. To son Abishag, 750 pds. to son Esek, one-fourth of all my land in Little Compton and my gun I bought at Newport. To son Samuel, one-fourth of all my land in Little Compton and my gun I bought last. To son Ebenezer, one-fourth of all my land in Little Compton and my bridle and saddle. To son David, one-fourth of all my land in Little Compton and my great bible. To daughter Susannah Tripp, 50 pds. To Mary Davol, 50 pds. To daughter Elizabeth Mosher, 50 pds. To daughter Ruth Wilbor, 65 pds., a feather bed with furniture. To daughter Joanna Wilbor, 65 pds., a feather bed with furniture.
Samuel married Elizabeth CARR 24 Dec 1713. Elizabeth was born 29 Jul 1691; died Mar 1764. [Group Sheet]
|3. ||Elizabeth CARR was born 29 Jul 1691; died Mar 1764. |
- Fact: Daughter of Esek and Susannah Carr
- Robert WILBOR was born 4 Feb 1715, Little Compton, Rhode Island; died 1782.
- Thomas WILBOR was born 14 Sep 1716, Little Compton, Rhode Island; died 1799.
- Susannah WILBOR was born 10 Jun 1718, Little Compton, Rhode Island.
- 1. Mary WILBOR was born 14 Mar 1719, Little Compton, Rhode Island.
- Abishag WILBOR was born 22 Nov 1721, Little Compton, Rhode Island; died 1786.
- Elizabeth WILBOR was born 23 Jul 1723, Little Compton, Rhode Island.
- Martha WILBOR was born 11 Mar 1725, Little Compton, Rhode Island.
- Ruth WILBOR was born 20 Oct 1726, Little Compton, Rhode Island.
- Esek WILBOR was born 22 Dec 1728, Little Compton, Rhode Island; died 1781.
- Samuel WILBOR was born 10 Oct 1730, Little Compton, Rhode Island.
- Joanna WILBOR was born 29 May 1732, Little Compton, Rhode Island.
- Ebenezer WILBOR was born 3 Sep 1735, Little Compton, Rhode Island.
- David WILBOR was born 31 Jul 1740, LIttle Compton, Rhode Island.
|4. ||Samuel WILBORE was born 1664, Portsmouth, Rhode Island (son of William WILBORE and Martha HOLMES); died 1740, Little Compton, Rhode Island. |
"The Wildbores in America": Samuel Wildbore lived on what was recently the Oliver H. Wilbor place, on the west road and in the southwestern part of the town. Part of this land he received from his father. His wife, Mary Potter, came from what is now Central Village; her father's farm is a little west of Central Village up a lane to the south of the main road from Central Village to Adamsville. On this land is a large Brownell cemetery. Samuel Wilbore settled in Little Compton much earlier than 1700. It was he who laid out the old Wilbor cemetery in 1740 on his farm and it has beenused for many generations by his descendants.
Following is Samuel's will:
In the name of God Amen, this fourteenth day of january, 1729/30 in the year of our Lord, I Samuel Wilbor of Little Compton in the county of Bristol and his Majesty's (George the 1st) province of Massachusetts B ay, being well of body and of perfect mind and memory, thanks be given to God for the same, calling to mind the mortality of the body and knowing it is appointed for all men once to die, doe order and ordain this my last will and testament, this is to say:
I give and bequeath to my beloved son Samuel his now dwelling house and all my lands that lie to the eastward of the Cole Brook line and 100 pounds in good bills of credit. (This place was off the swamp road to the north and up a long land and almost opposite the Southworth place. In 1870 Robert Gray Wilbor lived there. Samuel, son of Samuel, was living there in 1772.)
To son William Wilbor, whom I constitute and make and ordain my sole executor, my now dwelling house and the rest of my land where it now standeth, that is to say the west half of all my homestead farm (the Oliver H. Wilbor place) and my andirons and old gray mare.
To son Isaac Wilbore, one-half of my homestead, the east end thereof and also my gun and iron-bound chest, my new bridle and saddle and my new bible and also stock of cattle, hogs and sheep and my wearing clothes.
To daughters, Martha Pearce, Johanna Taylor, mary Brownell, Thankful Irish and Elizabeth Peckham, 40 pounds each.
Besides other bequests to his sons, he gives directions for a burial place: the land that I have given my son William, my will is that there be a piece of land four rods suare allowed for a brying place and also a driftway to it on the south side of William's land and that it be and remain for that use and no other forever, never to be sold nor put away, so that my family may have liberty to bury in it. And if there be any of my household stuff left that is not disposed of in this my will, my will is that it shall be equally divided amongst all my children and I do hereby disavow and disanull all and every other forme of will - by me anyways made and ratifying this and no other to be my last will and testament.
In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this day and year above written.
Samuel married Mary POTTER 1689. [Group Sheet]
|5. ||Mary POTTER (daughter of Nathaniel POTTER and Elizabeth STOKES). |
- Fact: Daughter of nathaniel Potter and Elizabeth Stokes
- Martha WILBORE was born 22 Oct 1690, Little Compton, Rhode Island; died 22 Sep 1760, Little Compton, Rhode Island.
- 2. Samuel WILBORE was born 7 Nov 1692, Little Compton, Rhode Island; died 28 Apr 1752, Little Compton, Rhode Island.
- William WILBORE was born 6 Jan 1695, Little Compton, Rhode Island; died Sep 1774, Little Compton, Rhode Island.
- Mary WILBORE was born 29 Oct 1697, Little Compton, Rhode Island; died Bef 1743.
- Joanna WILBORE was born 8 Jun 1700, Little Compton, Rhode Island.
- Thankful WILBORE was born 8 Jun 1700, Little Compton, Rhode Island; died Aft 1773, Little Compton, Newport County, Rhode Island.
- Elizabeth WILBORE was born 23 Dec 1702, Little Compton, Rhode Island.
- Thomas WILBORE was born 29 Dec 1704, Little Compton, Rhode Island.
- Abial WILBORE was born 27 May 1707, Little Compton, Rhode Island.
- Hannah WILBORE was born 9 Feb 1709, Little Compton, Rhode Island.
- Isaac WILBORE was born 24 Aug 1712, Little Compton, Rhode Island; died Sep 1793.
|8. ||William WILBORE was born 1630, Braintree, Essex, England (son of John WILBORE and Unknown); died 1710, Portsmouth, Newport County, Rhode Island. |
- Name: William Wilbur or Wilbore
- Birth: 1630
- Death: 1710
"The Wildbores In America": As we had proof that William Wilbore was related to the first Samuel of Boston but did not know how, we placed him with the sons of Samuel for convenience and put an explanation in the front of the book. But now the article foregoing on the English Wilbores' shows he was the son of John of Braintree England who was first cousin to Samuel Wilbore of Boston.
The descendants of the family of Samuel Wilbore, the first of the name in America may be divided into two groups, namely, descendants of his son Shadrach Wilbore o Taunton, whose descendants are mainly in Massachusetts and William Wilbore, of Portsmouth, whose descendants settle mainly in Rhode Island and scattered throughout Connecticut and New York State before 1800.
The Little Compton, R.I., branch are all descended from William of Portsmouth. To the present time it has not been possible to ascertain the exact parentage of William but we do know that he was a near relative of Samuel, Sr., being either a grandson or nephew, for Captain Samuel Wilbore, Jr., son of Samuel, in his will dated August 21, 1678, makes the following statement. "I do freely give and bequeath unto my cousin, William Wilbore senior 250 acres of land in the Narragansett Country to him and his heirs forever"
Later on in the same will the following statement occurs: "I do will that my son-in-law Lieut. Latham Clarke and my cousin, William Wilbore, Sr., shall take care of my deeds in the Narragansett Country and see to recording them and to act with my partners as though I were personally present, in behalf of my executrix."
The above clearly proves that although William was not Samuel's son, he was nearly related to him.
"Cousin" at that time was sometimes used as we now use it and at other times it was used for niece or nephew and other relationships and simply meant kinsman or relative.....
William Wilbore of Portsmouth was a weaver of cloth which helps to support my contention that the Wilbores were cloth merchants. It was he who paid the five and forty shilling for Shadrach Wilbore at the time of his imprisonment by Andros at Bristol. He seems to have been in better circumstances than Shadrach as is shown by the inventories.
Practically all of William's life after his marriage was spent in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, as was that of Samuel, Jr., having settled there when Samuel, Sr., and his fellow Colonists settled the island of Aquidneck, now known as the Island of Rhode Island, in 1638.
William Wilbore died in 1710 according to tradition at Tiverton. His will was made March 1, 1710, and proved August 15, 1710.....he gives as follows: "...To son John Wilbore's two children, John and Mary Records, 30 pounds; to son Daniel Wilbore all land in the first division, great neck in Swansea; to son Samuel 43 pounds which he owes me; to daughter Mary Mowrey money that she owes me and then to her children; to son Joseph Wilbore 100 pounds in money; to son John Wilbore 20 pounds in money; to son Benjamin Wilbore the money which is due me from Daniel Wilcox; to daughter Martha Sherman 10 pounds and to daugher Joan 10 pounds; to four sons, John, William, Joseph and Samuel, all my lands that I now have in the township of Little Compton equally divided between then..."
LITTLE COMPTON FAMILIES:
He was called cousin several times in the will o Samuel Wilbore Jr., the son of Samuel Wilbore o Boston, who was born in Braintree, England, the son of Nicholas and Elizabeth Wilbore of Sible Heddingham, Essex County, England, and grandson of Nicholas and Ann Wilbore of Colchester, Essex County, England
He first appeared in the legal records when his cousin Samuel of Boston transferred to him a piece of land in Portsmouth, 10 July 1654. He also owned land touching the land of Samuel Sr. and also of Samuel Jr. in Portsmouth, on the west road there near the coal mines. He lived on the farm which later became the Burrington Anthony farm, on the road that leads to the ferry, bound on the south by Freeborne Street.
Besides owning land in Portsmouth, he bought much land in Little Compton and about 1690 four of his sons settled there--Samuel, William Jr., John and Joseph. He had two other sons, Daniel who settled in Swansea, and Benjamin who setled in Dartsmouth.
Samuel owned what is now the Oliver H. Wilbor Place, Joseph settled on what was later the Isaac W. Howland place on the road south of the Commons, John Settled on the place later owned by Walter Bullock on the Long Highway, and son William owned what was afterwards the Ephraim Sisson place near the South Shore.
William married Martha HOLMES 1653. Martha was born 13 May 1640, Newport, Newport County, Rhode Island; died 30 Dec 1711, Newport, Rhode Island; was buried , Newport, Rhode Island. [Group Sheet]
|9. ||Martha HOLMES was born 13 May 1640, Newport, Newport County, Rhode Island; died 30 Dec 1711, Newport, Rhode Island; was buried , Newport, Rhode Island. |
- Mary WILBORE was born 1654; died 17 Apr 1720.
- Joseph WILBORE was born 1656, Portsmouth, Rhode Island; died 04 May 1729, Little Compton, Rhode Island; was buried , Wilbour Cemetery, Newport County, Rhode Island.
- John WILBORE was born 1658, Portsmouth, Rhode Island; died , Little Compton, Newport County, Rhode Island.
- Thomas WILBORE was born 1659.
- William WILBORE was born 25 Dec 1660, Little Compton, Newport, Rhode Island, USA; died 1738, Little Comtpon, Newport, Rhode Island .
- Martha WILBORE was born 1662.
- 4. Samuel WILBORE was born 1664, Portsmouth, Rhode Island; died 1740, Little Compton, Rhode Island.
- Daniel WILBORE was born 1666, Little Compton, Rhode Island; died 28 Nov 1741, Swansea, Massachusetts.
- Joanna WILBORE was born 1668, Portsmouth, Rhode Island; died 1759, Tiverton, Rhode Island.
- Benjamin WILBORE was born 1670; died 1729.
|10. ||Nathaniel POTTER was born 1637 (son of Nathaniel POTTER and Dorothy ?); died 20 Oct 1704, Portsmouth, Newport Co., Rhode Island. |
His will, dated 18 oct. 1704 and proved 20 Nov 1704: "To wife all movables, her living in the house for life and a third of estate. To son Stokes one half of my land in the south side of the highway. To son Nathaniel one shilling. To son William four pounds. To son Benjamin three pounds. To daughter Mary Wilbor two pounds and a cow. To daughter Rebecca Kerby two pounds and a cow. to daughter Elizabeth Potter three pounds. To daughter Katherine Potter four pounds at age. To son Ichabod two acres of land."
Nathaniel — Elizabeth STOKES. [Group Sheet]