|1. ||Eliakim SMITH was born 13 Jan 1703/04, Hadley, Massachusetts (son of Ebenezer SMITH and Abigail BOUTON). |
Eliakim married Abigail HOYT Abt 1730. Abigail (daughter of Daniel HOYT and Elizabeth KEELER) was born 26 Jun 1709, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA. [Group Sheet]
- Martha SMITH was born 3 Jan 1727; died Bef 1759.
- Noah SMITH was born Between 07 Mar 1738 and 1739, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
- Abigail SMITH was born 26 Jul 1749, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA; died 02 Nov 1803, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
- Elizabeth SMITH
|3. ||Abigail BOUTON was born 01 Apr 1670, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA (daughter of John BOUTON, Sr and Abigail MARVIN); died Aft 1719. |
- 1. Eliakim SMITH was born 13 Jan 1703/04, Hadley, Massachusetts.
- Dinah SMITH was born 07 Jul 1713, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA; died 30 Jul 1803, New Canaan, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
|5. ||Hannah HITCHCOCK was born Abt 1645; died 31 Aug 1733. |
- Fact: Daughter of Luke Hitchcock of Wethersfield, Connecticut
- 2. Ebenezer SMITH was born 11 Jul 1668, Hadley, Massachusetts; died Between Feb 1715 and 1716, Hadley, Massachusetts.
|6. ||John BOUTON, Sr was born Abt 1615, England; died May 1704, Danbury, Fairfield Co., Connecticut. |
"History and Gen. of the Families of Old Fairfield":
Deputy (Norwalk) to Conn. Leg., Oct. 1669, Oct 1671, Oct. 1673, May 1674, May 1675, Oct. 1676, May and Oct. 1677, May 1678, Oct. 1679, May 1680, May 1681, May and Oct. 1682, May 1683, May and Oct. 1685. Sergt., Norwalk Trainband.
Will of John, Sr., 25 Dec. 1706, poved 27 Jan. 1706-07; wife Mary; grandchild John Bowton of Danbur; sons Mathew and Joseph Bowton; dau. Rachel Sension; son Thomas Bwton; dau. Elizabeth Warrin; son Richard Bowton; da. Mary Bowton; three sons Joseph, Thomas and Richard. Matthew Sension, "Edman Waren", and James Betts, sons-in-law to the dec'd, appealed.
On 16 July 1720, Mary Bouton of Norwalk distributed property to son Thomas Bouton, dau. Mary Morehouse, to "Thomas and Richard:, eese to Thomas Bouton, he to give one gander and two geese to John Betts' wife; my three gr. children Thomas Bouton, Richard Bouton and mary Morehouse land at "Compow in Fairfield": my gr. children Mary Hyes, Ruth Bouton, and Gabriel Morehouse.
JOHN BOUTON, son as is supposed, of the Count Nichols Bouton, was a Huguenot and during the existence of the great persecution fled to England, where the Government were offering to send emigrants to America, on condition they would swear allegiance to the Crown of England. A registry of such emigrants was kept at London, a copy of which has been examined by the compiler of this work, and as only one person by the Bouton name is found on that registry, embracing a period of 100 years, from 1600 to 1700, it is supposed that said person was the John bouton of whom this account is traced, and that all the families of Boutons or Boughtons in this country prior to 1700, were descended from said John Bouton, who embarked from Gravesend, England, in the barque ASSURANCE, July, 1635, and landed at Boston, Massachusetts, in December, 1635, aged 20 years; whether married or not at the time is not known.
He married 1st, Joan Turney, and lived in Boston and Watertown, Mass., and early in the settlement of Hartford, Conn., moved to that place, and again in 1651, soon after the commencement of the settlement of Norwalk, he removed to that place, where his wife Joan soon died, and where he became an influential citizen, and in 1671, and for several years subsequent, he was a representative in the general court of the colony of Connecticut, and served his townsmen in many official capacities in Norwalk. He m. 2nd at Norwalk Ct., Jan. 1, 1656, Abigail Marvin, (dau. of Matthew Marvin, who came from London, Eng.) She was born at Hartford about 1640 and died at Norwalk, about 1672. He married 3d, at Norwalk about 1673, Mrs. Mary Stevenson, widow of Jonathan Stevenson, who was killed in a swamp fight with the Indians near Norwalk.
He gave land to his sons John and Matthew, as appears on the Norwalk town records, and at his death, which occurred at Danbury, Ct., 174-5, he left in estate at Norwalk, a part of which has remained in possession of his descendants until the present time, July,1888, now over 200 years.
John married Abigail MARVIN 01 Jan 1656, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA. Abigail (daughter of Matthew MARVIN and Elizabeth ?) was born Between 1636 and 1638, Hartford, Hartford Co., Connecticut; died Bef 1689. [Group Sheet]
|7. ||Abigail MARVIN was born Between 1636 and 1638, Hartford, Hartford Co., Connecticut (daughter of Matthew MARVIN and Elizabeth ?); died Bef 1689. |
- Birth: Abt 1637
- Death: Abt 1681
- John BOUTON, Jr. was born 30 Sep 1659, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA; died 03 Jan 1705, Danbury, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
- Matthew BOUTON was born 24 Dec 1661, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
- Joseph BOUTON was born 1665, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA; died 20 Dec 1746, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
- Rachel BOUTON was born 15 Dec 1667, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA; died 17 Aug 1748, Ridgefield, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
- 3. Abigail BOUTON was born 01 Apr 1670, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA; died Aft 1719.
- Mary BOUTON was born 26 May 1671, Norwalk, Fairfield Co., Connecticut.
- Hannah BOUTON was born 1673, Norwalk, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA; died 23 Aug 1748, Wilton, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA.
|8. ||Samuel SMITH was born Abt 1602; died 1680. |
Excerpt from "Genealogies of Hadley Families": Lieut. Samuel Smith, with wife Elizabeth and children, Samuel, age 9, Elizabeth, age 7, Mary, age 4, and Philip, age 1, saile fro New England, the last day of April, 1634, in the "Elizabeth" of Ipswich. He and his wife were each then called thirty two years of age. He came from Wethersfield, Ct., whre he was a leading man, to Hadley, where he held important ofices both in church and state. He is supposed to have died in 1680, age abt. 78. His inventory was taken January 17, 1681.
Samuel — Elizabeth ?. Elizabeth was born Abt 1602; died 16 Mar 1686. [Group Sheet]
|9. ||Elizabeth ? was born Abt 1602; died 16 Mar 1686. |
- Samuel SMITH was born 08 Feb 1626, Hadleigh, England.
- Elizabeth SMITH was born Bef 28 Jan 1627, St. Mary the Virgin, Hadleigh, Suffolk Co., England; died Aft 05 Jan 1702, Wethersfield, Hartford Co., Connecticut.
- Lieut. Philip SMITH was born Abt 1633, England; died 10 Jan 1685, Hadley, Hampshire County, Massachusetts.
- 4. Chileab SMITH was born Abt 1635; died 07 Mar 1731.
- John SMITH was born 1638, Wethersfield, Hartford Co. Connecticut; died 30 May 1676, Hatfield, Hampshire, Massachusetts, USA.
- Mary SMITH was born 1630; died 16 Dec 1668.
|14. ||Matthew MARVIN was born Bef 26 Mar 1599, Great Bentley, Essex Co., England (son of Edward MARVIN and Margaret UNKNOWN); died 26 Dec 1679, Norwalk, Fairfield Co., Connecticut. |
- Baptism: 26 Mar 1600, Great Bentley, co. Essex, England
- Fact: 1635, Came on the "Increase" with wife and five children
- Fact: 1635, An original settler in Hartford and of Norwalk, 1651
"Descendants of Reinold and Matthew Marvin": Matthew, youngest son of Edward and Margaret Marvin, was baptized in St. Mary's Church, Great Bentley, Essex, England, 26 March, 1600; Rev. Robert Dernell was then its rector. His father's will gave him the "mentchon house called Edons alias Dreybrockes, and ij Croftes of land called Hartles and Brocken Heddes," on the condition that he paid his mother yearly during her life "the fulle sume of Sexe Poundes," in default of which it was to pass to his bother Reinold with a like condition. He was then about fifteen years old. He probably resided there with his mother until her death in May, 1633.
He married (1) about 1622 Elizabeth (?), born about 1604, judging from her age as given when she went to America; she died in Hartford, probably about 1640; and from the ages of his younger children, certainly not later than 1647. rebecca is thought to have been Elizabeth's youngest child, as she is named in her father's will, but not in that of his second wife, who mentions her own children then living. He married (2), about 1647, Alice, widow of John Bouton, born about 1610; in her will, 1 Dec., 1680, she calls herself "aged about seventy;" she made oath to the inventory of her husband's estate 17 Dec., 1680, and died soon after; the inventory of her own estate is dated "the last of January, 1680/1."
Matthew sailed from London in the "Increase," Robert Lea, master, having proved, 15 April, 1635, that his party had "taken the oathes of Allegeance and Supremacie: As also being conformable to the Government and discipline of the Church of England, whereof they brought testimony.. Cert. from ye Justices and ministers where there abodes have latlie been."
He had been a "sydeman" at St. mary's in 1621; "overseer" in 1627, and senior warden in 1628. He is last mentioned there 22 Aug. 1633, when "William Littleburye, the servant of Matthew Meruin, was buried."
The record of his departure calls him "husbandman, aet. 25," and names his wife and children "Elizabeth Marvynn, vor, 31; Elizabeth Marvinn 31 ( a clerical error for 13); Matthew Marvynn, 8; marie Marvynn, 6; Sara marvynn, 3; Hanna Marvynn 1/2." Some of his fellow-passengers appear as his fellow townsmen in Hartford, Farmington and Norwalk. The "Increase" sailed about the middle of April, and reached New England about the first of June. Where he spent the first few months after his arrival, is not known. His name is on the monument in honor of the first settlers of hartford, the first of whom arrived there about November, 1635, and Matthew was one of "the twelve very earliest emigrants whose names are known," and who formed the company known as Adventurers, to whom belonged "Venturers' Field." He resided on the corner of Village (now Pleasant) and Front streets, the lot fronting east.
Matthew married Elizabeth ? Bef 1622, England. Elizabeth was born Abt 1604; died Abt 1642. [Group Sheet]
|15. ||Elizabeth ? was born Abt 1604; died Abt 1642. |
- Elizabeth MARVIN was christened 15 Sep 1622; died 1708, Norwich, New London, Connecticut, USA.
- Matthew MARVIN was born Abt 1626, England; was christened 8 Nov 1626; died Abt 1712, Norwalk, Fairfield Co., Connecticut.
- Marie MARVIN was born 1628, England; was christened 15 Dec 1628; died 29 Mar 1713.
- Sarah MARVIN was born 1632, England; was christened 27 Dec 1631, Great Bentley, St. Marys, Essex, England; died Abt 1702, Stratford, Fairfield Co., Connecticut.
- Hannah MARVIN was born Abt Oct 1634; died Aft 1680.
- 7. Abigail MARVIN was born Between 1636 and 1638, Hartford, Hartford Co., Connecticut; died Bef 1689.
- Rebecca MARVIN was born Abt 1639.