|2. ||John LASELL was born 25 Apr 1669, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts (son of John LAZELL and Elizabeth GATES); died 02 Dec 1755, Windham, Connecticut. |
- Fact: 1712, Constable at Hingham, Mass.
- Fact: 1717, Selectman
John married Deborah LINCOLN 26 Mar 1696, Hingham, Massachusetts. Deborah (daughter of Joshua LINCOLN and Deborah HOBART) was born 31 Aug 1674, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts; died 28 May 1748, Windham, Connecticut. [Group Sheet]
|3. ||Deborah LINCOLN was born 31 Aug 1674, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts (daughter of Joshua LINCOLN and Deborah HOBART); died 28 May 1748, Windham, Connecticut. |
- Joshua LASELL was born 29 Dec 1703, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts.
- John LASELL was born 23 Jan 1696/7, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts; died 10 Feb 1696/7, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts.
- 1. John LASELL was born 13 Oct 1698, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts.
|4. ||John LAZELL was born Abt 1619, England; died 21 Oct 1700, Hingham, Norfolk, England. |
- AFN: AFN:9N3K-W0
- Also Known As: John Lazell
Excerpt from "John Lazell of Hingham, Mass., and Some of His descendants" (NEHG Jul 1934, V 88): John was a resident of Hingham as early as 1647, when he was about 28 yrs of age. He was constable in 1677. He appears to have acquired the house lot and other grants of land made to Nichlas Hodsden, who had settled at Hingham, about 1636 and had moved to that part of Kittery, Maine, which is now South Berwick soon after his wife's death in 1647. These various parcels of land are described and bounded in the original volume of land grants and were situated in what is now called Hingham Centre, near Lazell Street, about a mile southwest from the railroad station. This property was held in the family for one hundred and eighty-five years, until the death, in 1832 of Hannah (Fearing) Lazell, widow of Samuel Lazell....
Although no gravestone now remains to mark his burial place, one existed some years ago, as is shown by the following copy of the inscription found among the papers of the late Josiah Lasell of Whitinsville: "Here lyes ye Body of John Lazell, aged 81 years, Died ye 21st Oct 1700."
His will, dated 2 Sep 1695 and proved in Boston 11 Jan. 1700/1, is preserved in the Suffolk Registry of Probate. In it he names his wife Elizabeth, his eldest son Thomas, his sons Stephen, John, and Israel, his daughters Hannah Turner, Mary Burr, and Sarah Ripley, and three of his grandchildren, Joshua Lazell, son of his son oshua, deceased, and Isaac and Abial Lazell, children of his son Isaac, deceased
The inventory of his estate, taken 19 Dec 1700 by Francis James and James Hawke, amount to l251, 3s. It is preserved in the probate files, but was neither sworn to nor recorded.
John married Elizabeth GATES 29 Nov 1649, Hingham, Norfolk, England. Elizabeth (daughter of Stephen GATES and Ann BEARE) was born Abt 1630, Hingham, Norfolk, England; died 03 Aug 1704, Hingham, Norfolk, England. [Group Sheet]
|5. ||Elizabeth GATES was born Abt 1630, Hingham, Norfolk, England (daughter of Stephen GATES and Ann BEARE); died 03 Aug 1704, Hingham, Norfolk, England. |
- Isaac LAZELL was born 10 Jul 1660, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts; died 20 Oct 1690, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts.
- John LASSELL was born , Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts; died 14 May 1665.
- Israel LAZELL was born 24 Sep 1671, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts; died 30 Dec 1755, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts.
- Thomas LASSELL was born 15 Sep 1652, Hingham, Plymouth Co., MA; died 01 May 1725, Scotland Parish, Windham, Connecticut.
- Joshua LASSELL was born 17 Nov 1654, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts; died Between 12 Feb 1688 and 1689, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts.
- Mary LASSELL was born 02 Sep 1664, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts.
- Hannah LASSELL was born 31 Aug 1662, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts; died 22 May 1717, Andover, Massachusetts.
- 2. John LASELL was born 25 Apr 1669, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts; died 02 Dec 1755, Windham, Connecticut.
- Elizabeth LASSELL was born Between 28 Feb 1657 and 1658, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts; died 07 Apr 1676.
- Sarah LASSELL was born 29 Nov 1666, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts.
- Stephen LAZELL was born 06 Oct 1656, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts; died Between 16 Jan 1717 and 1718, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts.
|6. ||Joshua LINCOLN was born 03 May 1645, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts; died 21 Apr 1694, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts. |
- Fact: Son of Thomas Lincoln and Margaret Langer
Joshua married Deborah HOBART 20 Apr 1666. Deborah was born 12 Sep 1647, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts; died 29 Nov 1684, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts. [Group Sheet]
|7. ||Deborah HOBART was born 12 Sep 1647, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts; died 29 Nov 1684, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts. |
- 3. Deborah LINCOLN was born 31 Aug 1674, Hingham, Suffolk County, Massachusetts; died 28 May 1748, Windham, Connecticut.
|10. ||Stephen GATES was born Bef 26 Dec 1597, Coney Weston, Suffolk, England (son of Eustace GATES and Rose WRIGHT); died Bef 29 Sep 1662, Cambridge, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts; was buried 1662, Cambridge, Middlesex Co., Massachsetts. |
- Baptism: 26 Dec 1597, Coney Weston, Suffolk, England
- Birth: 1600, Norwich, England; Norwich, Norfolk, England
- Immigration: 1638, From Hingham, England to America
I originally had Thomas Gates as the son of Peter and Mary Josselyn. However, after reading "the English Origins of Stephen Gates, 1638 Immigrant to Massachusetts, by Edward J. Harrison) (NEGH Jan2006, vol. 160) challenged Stephen's descent from Peter Gates and Mary Josselyn. Based on the dates given, it is impossible for Peter (born circa 1583) and Mary to be the grandparents of Stephen who was born circa 1600. The entries in the Hingham parish registers show no evidence that Stephen's father was named Thomas.
The Gates family is one of the ancient Colonial families of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the progenitor of the branch of the family here considered having been conspicuous in the early settlement of several of the towns in Massachusetts, which state has since been the home of numerous of his descendants, many of whom have been the leading spirits in their several communities, among whom may be mentioned the late Samuel Pearly Gates, of Bridgewater, Massachusetts, who broad charity, benevolence and high efficiency easily made him in many ways the guardian and counsellor of that community.
Stephen, the first of the name in New England was a native of England, born at Norwich, in the county of Norfolk, the son of Thomas Gates. Stephen came to New England in the ship "Diligent", in 1638. He settled first at Hingham, Massachusetts. He was accompanied by his wife and children. In1652 he located at Cambridge, and later at Lancaster, where he was one of the largest proprietors of the town, and was one of the petitioners for its incorporation in 1654; he was also constable there in 1657. Returning to Cambridge he spent the remainder of his life there where he died in 1662. He was admitted a freeman May 14, 1656, He was in Lancaster in 1656 and for a few years afterward, but disagreed with some of his neighbors and left town, returning to Cambridge. His will was dated June 9, 1662, and proved November 24, 1662.
Excerpt from "New England Historical and Genealogical Register": He settled in Hingham, Mass., where he received a grant of three acres for a house lot, twelve acres for a "greate Lott,: and a three acre planting lot. His house lot was on Town (now North) Street and was bounded on the north by the street, on the east by William Buckland's land and upon the west by the town swamp. In 1647 he received a grant of half an acre of salt marsh. On 26 June 1648 he sold his house lot, etc., to William Hersey, but remained in town for some time before his removal. Stephen Gates and his wife probably did not become members of the Hingham Church until about 3 May 1646, when their children Simon, Thomas, Isaac and REbecca were baptized. Birth dates of the children are not found in the Hingham town records...... In 1658 there was trouble between the Gates and Whitcomb families due to the fact that three sons of JOhn Whitcomb had killed three swine belonging to Stephen Gates. Whitcomb agreed to pay for the swine, but afterwared sought to be released from paying, claiming that he was "aged & Weak and mean in estate." The court decided that he must pay for the swine. It is stated that Stephen Gates was deprived of his constable's staff. This probably occurred after his failure to nitify the voters about the meeting, to which reference has been made. At the time of the Gates-Whitcomb trouble Stephen Gates was living in Sudbury, Mass..
by Margaret Mason
History recorder, Coney Weston/Knettishall
CONEY WESTON, SUFFOLK, ENGLAND
In June 1638 the ship "Diligent" sailed from Ipswich, Suffolk, England and arrived on August 10th 1638 at Boston, Massachusetts, USA. The majority on board were families from Hingham, Norfolk.
The passenger list included, STEPHEN GATES OF CONEY WESTON, his wife Anne, and two daughters, Elizabeth and Mary. He also had a four year old son Stephen who does not appear on the passenger list although he was later baptised at Hingham Massachusetts.
Stephen and Anne settled in Hingham MA, they had four more children who were baptised at Hingham church. Later the family moved to Lancaster MA, and finally Cambridge MA.
the founders of Hingham, Massachusetts left their original homes seeking a better life, free from discipline of the High Church, many selling their possessions for a fraction of their value. Hingham, Norfolk was forced to petition Parliament for aid, claiming that the departure of it's most wealthy citizens had left the town destitute.
Hingham, MA, originally called Bare Cove, grew through the efforts and determination of a handful of people to become a major port of entry, as well as a thriving fishing port.
THE ORIGIN OF THE SURNAME GATES
Two miles north of Coney Weston is the Little Ouse River is the border between Suffolk and Norfolk. There is a bridge across the river and on the Norfolk side is a tiny hamlet called "Gasthorpe". In 1066 its ancient name was "Gates thorpe"(1). In the Iveaugh-Phillips manuscripts dated 1463 there are references to land "be twyx" the 'Gatys' (2). As surnames evolved from a persons trade or place of origin and the fact that STEPHEN GAGTES father's name was in some instances written as GATYS there is a strong possibility that the GATES family originated from Gasthorpe.
After 1198 and before 1346 these three names occur in Gasthorpe:
Warine De Gatesthorp (3)
Sir Adam De Gatesthorp (3)
Sir John De Gatesthorp (3)
1300 Massive sandstorm, Gasthorpe & Knettishall deserted
(1) Thorpe: Old Norse for tiny hamlet
(2) Held at Suffolk Records office Ipswich.
(3) An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk volume I Author Francis Blomefield. Year published 1805. pp 250-254
Stephen married Ann BEARE 05 May 1628, Hingham, Norfolk, England. Ann (daughter of VEARE) was born Abt 1603, Norwich, England; died 19 Feb 1682, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts. [Group Sheet]
|11. ||Ann BEARE was born Abt 1603, Norwich, England (daughter of VEARE); died 19 Feb 1682, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts. |
E-mail from Margaret Mason, dated 7/31/2013 states the following:
"The surname VEARE is most probably BEARE. I have studied the original and have a copy of the Parish Registers for Hackford/Reepham held at Norwich Records Office which gives the marriage of Stephen GATES Ann BEARE 5th May 1628. It is difficult to read and can see why the B was mistaken for V. The surname BEARE is quite common in that area."
Because of this e-mail, I will be making the change from VEARE to BEARE, unless further proof proves otherwise.
- Simon GATES was born 1645, Cambridge, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts; died 26 Aug 1692, Muddy River (Brookline), Norfolk, Mass..
- Isaac GATES died 03 Sep 1651, Hingham, Norfolk, England.
- Stephen GATES was born Abt 1634, Norfolk, England; died 09 Jul 1707, Stow, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts.
- Thomas GATES was born Abt 1642, Cambridge, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts; died 10 Aug 1726, Preston City, New London, Connecticut, USA.
- Mary Adell GATES was born Abt 1630; died 22 Dec 1711, Marlborough, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA.
- Rebecca GATES died Jan 1650, Hingham, Norfolk, England.
- 5. Elizabeth GATES was born Abt 1630, Hingham, Norfolk, England; died 03 Aug 1704, Hingham, Norfolk, England.