1401 - 1458 (56 years)
|2. ||Henry III The Infirm Of CASTILE was born 04 Oct 1379, Burgos (son of Juan I King Of CASTILE and Eleonor Of ARAGON); died Between 25 and 26 Dec 1406, Toledo; was buried , Toledo. |
- Also Known As: Enrique III of Castile
- Residence: King of Castile and Leon
Henry III (October 4, 1379?1406), sometimes known as Henry the Sufferer or Henry the Infirm (Spanish: Enrique el Doliente) was the son of John I and succeeded him as King of Castile and Le█n in 1390.
Henry was born in Burgos, the capital of Castile. Before becoming king, he was known by the title Prince of Asturias, designating him as the heir apparent. After succeeding to the throne at 11, Henry took power at 14. He was able to pacify the nobility and restore royal power. During his reign, the Castilian fleet won several victories against the English; Henry sent a naval fleet in 1400 that destroyed T╚touan in North Africa, a pirate base. In 1402, Henry began the colonization of the Canary Islands, sending French explorer Jean de B╚thencourt. He also sent envoys to Timur.
In 1388, Henry married Katherine of Lancaster (Catalina de Lancaster; 1372?1418), the daughter of John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster and Gaunt's second wife, Constance of Castile, who was the elder daughter of Pedro of Castile. This ended a dynastic conflict and solidified the House of Trastamara. Henry and Catherine's son became John II of Castile, who succeeded Henry when he died in Toledo, Catherine acting as Regent of Castile because John II was then underage.
Henry married Katherine Of LANCASTER Between 1388 and 1393. Katherine (daughter of John Of GAUNT and Constance Of CASTILE) was born 31 Mar 1373, Hertford; died 02 Jun 1418; was buried , Toledo. [Group Sheet]
|3. ||Katherine Of LANCASTER was born 31 Mar 1373, Hertford (daughter of John Of GAUNT and Constance Of CASTILE); died 02 Jun 1418; was buried , Toledo. |
Katherine of Lancaster (also known as Catherine Plantagenet and as Queen Catalina of Castile and Leon) (1372/1373 ? 2 June 1418) was the daughter of John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster, and his second wife, Constance of Castile.
She married Enrique III of Castile in 1393 at Burgos. As her mother was daughter of Pedro of Castile, the marriage helped to restore a semblance of legitimacy to the Trastamara line.
The couple had three children:
Maria of Castile (1401-1458), who married Alfonso V "the Magnanimous", King of Aragon and Naples,
Catharina of Castile, who wed Enrique of Arag█n, Duque de Villena,
Juan II (1405-1454), who succeeded his father as King of Castile . His mother Katherine and his uncle, Ferdinand, served as co-regents during his minority, and Katherine alone was regent after Ferdinand's death in 1416.
Queen Catalina died at Valladolid of a stroke, possibly precipitated by her great obesity, leaving her thirteen year-old son at the mercy of self-interested courtiers.
|6. ||John Of GAUNT was born Mar 1340, St Bavon's Abbey, Ghent, Flanders (son of Edward III King Of ENGLAND and Philippa Of HAINAULT); died 03 Feb 1399, Leicester Castle, England; was buried , St.Paul's Cathedral, London, England. |
- Fact: Titular King of Castile and Leon
- Fact: Duke of Richmond
- Fact: John Plantagenet
- Fact: John Duke Of Lancaster
- Fact: Knight of the Garter
- Fact: Prince of England
- Fact: 2nd Duke of Lancaster
- Fact: Duke of Aquitaine
- Fact: 5th Earl of Lancaster, Derby, Lincoln, and Leicester
[Hulett FTW from MC Scott.FTW]
Earl of Richmond. Some say born Jun 1340, but see CP vol.XIV,p.421.Earl of Derby, Lincoln. Duke of Aquitaine. Lord of Beaufort & Nogent.Burke says he died at Ely House, Holborn King of Castile & Leon. Lord of Bergerac & Roche-sur-Yon. The Complete Peerage vol.VII,pp.410-416 & vol.XIV,p.421.
John married Constance Of CASTILE Sep 1371, Roquefort, Guienne, or St. Andrew. Constance (daughter of Peter IPedro I The Cruel Of CASTILE and Maria DE PADILLA) was born 1354, Castro Kerez; died 24 Mar 1394. [Group Sheet]
|8. ||Henry II Of CASTILE was born 13 Jan 1334, Sevilla (son of Alfonso XI King Of Castile And LEON and Eleanor Of GUZMAN); died 29 May 1379, Santo Domingo de la Calzada. |
Henry of Trastamara (January 13, 1334 Sevilla - May 29, 1379 Santo Domingo de la Calzada) (Enrique de TrastĚmara), was the illegitimate son of Alfonso XI of Castile and Eleanor of Guzman, and half brother to Pedro of Castile the Cruel (or the Lawful, depending on who wrote the history). He became Henry II of Castile (Enrique II de Castilla) after defeating and killing Pedro in the Castilian Civil War (1366-1369).
As head of a band of mercenaries, and with the aid of Bertrand du Guesclin, he drove Pedro from his throne in 1366. He was, however, defeated the next year at the Battle of NĚjera (Navarette), and Pedro was restored. Henry defeated Pedro at the Battle of Montiel and then murdered him in 1369. Henry then went to war against Portugal and England in the Hundred Years' War. For most of his reign he had to fight off the attempts of John of Gaunt, a son of Edward III of England, to claim the Castilian throne in right of his second wife, Pedro's daughter.
Henry married Juana Manuel, daughter of Juan Manuel of Castile, head of a younger branch of the royal house of Castile. Their son was John I of Castile.
Henry was the first nobleman to use Anti-Semitism as a political tool in Spain. This led to an end to the convivencia, and a period of riots and pogroms, and can be seen as sowing the seeds of the persecution of the Jews by the Spanish Inquisition, beginning a hundred years later.
Henry — Juana Manuel Of CASTILE. Juana (daughter of Juan Manuel Of CASTILE and Blanca Nunez De Lara DE LA CERDA) was born 1339; died 27 Mar 1381. [Group Sheet]
|10. ||Peter IV King Of ARAGON was born Sep 1319; died 05 Jan 1387. |
- Also Known As: Pedro Of Aragon
Peter IV of Aragon (September 1319 - 5 January 1387), king of Aragon (1336-1387), the Ceremonious or el del punyalet (the one of the little dagger ). He deposed James III of Majorca and rejoined the Balearic Islands and Roussillon under the crown of Aragon. He wrote the Chronicle of his name.
He found himself facing a rebellion among the nobles which would fail after he defeated the nobles in the Battle of Epila in 1348.
In 1356, he engaged with Peter I of Castile in what was called the "War of the Two Peters". It ended in 1375 with the Treaty of AlmazĚn, without a winner due to the Black Death and several natural disasters.
Throughout his reign, Peter IV had frequent conflicts with the inquisitor general of Aragon, Nicolau Aymerich.
During his reign, the Generalitat was instituted in the Courts of 1358-1359.
He conquered Sicily in 1377 but the posession was given to his son Martin.
Peter — Elionor Of SICILY. Elionor was born 1325; died 1375. [Group Sheet]
|11. ||Elionor Of SICILY was born 1325; died 1375. |
- Fact: Daughter of Peter II of Sicily
|12. ||Edward III King Of ENGLAND was born 13 Nov 1312, Windsor, England (son of Edward II and Isabella Of FRANCE); died 21 Jun 1377, Sheen Palace, Surrey, England; was buried , Westminster Abbey, London, England. |
- Burial: Westminster Abbey, Westminster, Middlesex, England
- Fact: Between 1327 and 1377, King of England
- Crowned: 02 Feb 1327, Westminster Abbey
- Death: 21 Jun 1377, Shene Palace, Surrey, England
[Hulett FTW from MC Scott.FTW]
Reigned 1327-1377. Edward assumed effective power in 1330 after imprisoning his mother and executing her lover Roger de Mortimer who had murdered his father; therafter his reign was dominated by military adventures. His victory in Scotland, especially at Haildon Hill 1333 encouraged him to plan (1363) the union of England and Scotland. Through his mother he claimed the French throne thus starting (1337) the Hundred years war. His son John of Gaunt dominated the government during his last years. Died of a Stroke.
Edward married Philippa Of HAINAULT 24 Jan 1328, York Minster, York, Yorkshire, England. Philippa (daughter of William III and Jeanne Of VALOIS) was born 24 Jun 1311, Valenciennes; died 15 Aug 1369, Windsor Castle, Windsor, Berkshire, England; was buried , Westminster Abbey, Westminster, Middlesex, England. [Group Sheet]
|13. ||Philippa Of HAINAULT was born 24 Jun 1311, Valenciennes (daughter of William III and Jeanne Of VALOIS); died 15 Aug 1369, Windsor Castle, Windsor, Berkshire, England; was buried , Westminster Abbey, Westminster, Middlesex, England. |
- Crowned: 18 Feb 1330, Westminster Abbey
- Death: 14 Aug 1369, Windsor Castle
- Edward Of WOODSTOCK was born 15 Jun 1330, Palace, Woodstock, Oxfordshire, England; died 08 Jun 1376, Westminster Palace; was buried , Canterbury Cathedral.
- Isabel Of WOODSTOCK was born 16 Jun 1332, Palace, Woodstock, Oxfordshire, England; died Bef 07 Oct 1382, London; was buried , Grey Friars, Newgate, Middlesex, England.
- JoanJoanna Of WOODSTOCK was born Abt Feb 1335, Palace, Woodstock, Oxfordshire, England; died 02 Sep 1348, Bayonne; was buried , Bayonne Cathedral.
- William Of HATFIELD was born Bef 16 Feb 1337, Hatfield, England; died Bef 08 Jul 1337; was buried , King's Langley, Hertfordshire.
- Lionel Of ANTWERP was born 29 Nov 1338, Antwerp, Belgium; died 17 Oct 1368, Alba, Piedmont, Italy; was buried , Clare Priory, Suffolk.
- 6. John Of GAUNT was born Mar 1340, St Bavon's Abbey, Ghent, Flanders; died 03 Feb 1399, Leicester Castle, England; was buried , St.Paul's Cathedral, London, England.
- Edmund Of LANGLEY was born 05 Jun 1341, King's Langley, Hertfordshire, England; died 01 Aug 1402, Langley, Hertfordshire, England; was buried , Church of the Mendicant Friars, Langley.
- Blanche Princess Of ENGLAND was born Mar 1342; died Mar 1342, Tower of London; was buried , Chapel of St. Peter, Westminster Abbey.
- Mary Princess Of ENGLAND was born Between 09 and 10 Oct 1344, Walton near Winchester, England; died Between 1361 and 1362; was buried , Abbey Church, Abingdon, Berkshire, England.
- Margaret Princess Of ENGLAND was born 20 Jul 1346, Windsor, England; died Aft 01 Oct 1361; was buried , Abbey Church, Abingdon, Berkshire, England.
- William Of WINDSOR was born Bef 24 Jun 1348, Windsor, England; died Sep 1348; was buried 05 Sep 1348, St.Edmund's Chapel, Westminster Abbey.
- Thomas Of WOODSTOCK was born 07 Jan 1354/5, Woodstock, Oxfordshire, England; died Between 08 and 15 Sep 1397, Murdered at Calais, Pas-De-Calais, France; was buried , Westminster Abbey.